Page 406 of 406 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406
Results 10,126 to 10,150 of 10150

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Sisu--implausible action film, Ramboesque, John Wick type movie taking place in WWII. It really depends on how you view such films. I thought it was okay, however, doesn't add much new to genre, just more whoopass on the bad guys. That said, I found it watchable. ymmv. From the same director that did Rare Exports. Found a copy off YT.
    Saw it when it was in the theater and had a similar reaction to you. Didn't love it and didn't hate it.

Sisu--implausible action film, Ramboesque, John Wick type movie taking place in WWII. It really depends on how you view such films. I thought it was okay, however, doesn't add much new to genre, just more whoopass on the bad guys. That said, I found it watchable. ymmv. From the same director that did Rare Exports. Found a copy off YT.
    I thought this was a blast. Over the top, ridiculously far fetched revenge romp. A movie I can always leave on when stumbling across it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Dune Pt 2

Finally found the time for this one and loved it. Just beautiful visually, great battle scenes and effects. Awesome showdown at the end. I think I liked it slightly better than the first one. Great stuff!

8.6 out of 10 giant worm rides

Ramboesque,
    Kinda been meaning to plump this one for a while. Now's as good a time as any...

Rambo: Last Blood (2019) Might still be on Prime. I don't recall much of a buzz about this flick at the time, especially given how successful the franchise was. Stallone is an old guy, so I get it, I guess. In some ways, standard Rambo fare, as the loner warrior is pulled into a fight he didn't ask for. And it's a full-blown revenge film, and while there are some tropes and clichés along the way, this is a portrait of the warrior past his prime, not a celebration of the warrior invincible. It's well done, doesn't drag, and hews pretty well to it's own internal logic. I was a bit surprised, and can easily recommend it. I don't think you'll be bored.

Furiosa – A Mad Max Saga: Prequel to Mad Max Fury Road that tells the backstory of Furiosa who was the main character in Fury Road. The bottom line with the new film is if you like Mad Max films you will probably love it. If you don’t then this movie won’t change your mind. Although the action sequences in Furiosa are amazing I did have a few minor issues with this film There is a pretty big plot hole for me regarding the place where Furiosa originates that in the 20 or so years that this film spans, I find it difficult to believe that the bad guys in this film never found it considering it was motorcycle gas tank’s ride away in the middle of a desert. The acting is all good with Chris Hemsworth stealing the show with a great performance. There are plenty of amazing stunts and chase scenes. This is a good one to see on the big screen in a theater.

3.5 out of 5 Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I don't recall this coming up in this thread before:

John Carpenter Says...
    I rewatched the 50s version of the original Howard Hawkes The Thing, until time for bed. One of my fave 50s films.

Under Paris on Netflix

French film about sharks appearing in Paris shortly before the Olympic Triathalon. Much better than it sounds. Really enjoyed it.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I watched this on YT the other day about 'hired guns' or studio, free lance musicians. I'm generally interested in videos about music whether I like the particular genre or not (granted it helps more if I am interested...). At any rate the side musicians often don't get the credit they deserve and showed how it can be a dog eat dog profession.

Also watched the 70s film, Scum about the dramatized brutalized life in the U.K. delinquent-youth homes known as borstals. Many of the boys sent there for crimes, others I'm guessing just got caught up in the system somehow. A young Ray Winston gets sent to the British boy's prison that's run by a religious nut, administered by bigoted thugs, populated by confused and angry young men, and moved by a vicious streak that nobody has the power to stop. I've no idea how true to life this represents, but made for an interesting watch. On YT and Tubi, probably others.

I watched this on YT the other day about 'hired guns' or studio, free lance musicians. I'm generally interested in videos about music whether I like the particular genre or not (granted it helps more if I am interested...). At any rate the side musicians often don't get the credit they deserve and showed how it can be a dog eat dog profession.
    Agree, it was a great documentary. I saw it a while ago. You might also like "20 Feet From Stardom" about back-up singers to big stars. It is another good one.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Only thing I know about borstals is from hearing this song in the '70s, courtesy Mssrs Wood and Stewart:

Frog in boiling water

Also watched the 70s film, Scum about the dramatized brutalized life in the U.K. delinquent-youth homes known as borstals. Many of the boys sent there for crimes, others I'm guessing just got caught up in the system somehow. A young Ray Winston gets sent to the British boy's prison that's run by a religious nut, administered by bigoted thugs, populated by confused and angry young men, and moved by a vicious streak that nobody has the power to stop. I've no idea how true to life this represents, but made for an interesting watch. On YT and Tubi, probably others.

The violence and.conditions of borstal was how things were back in the 70s and seventies, but that sort of thing does not happen now. It's all about re habilitating young offenders now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The violence and.conditions of borstal was how things were back in the 70s and seventies, but that sort of thing does not happen now. It's all about re habilitating young offenders now.
    That's what I figured, which is good to know.

Pennywise: The Story of It--documentary on the 90s made for TV movie. If you're a King fan or a fan of the movie you should enjoy it. There's a lot of good interviews with members of the cast, people having worked on the movie in one way or the other, and everything in between. And they definitely offer some great insights into their individual and collective experience of working on the classic "IT" mini-series. I saw it off the Scream channel off Philo.

This was crazy & entertaining
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    This was crazy & entertaining
    That looks like my kind of movie.

Where'd you see it?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Amazon Prime $5.99
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Watched The Hitman on Netflix tonight. Enjoyable film which is kind of a comedy /rom com. I normally hate Rom Com’s, but this one was different enough and had a unique angle that I found entertaining. Overall, it is worth a watch if you have a Netflix subscription.
    Saw it over the weekend. "Enjoyable" is a good word for it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Immediate Family I saw off Amazon. It's about the session musicians (Waddy Wachtel, Danny Kortchmar, Russell Kunkel, and Leland Sklar) in the 70s era. Much like the Wrecking Crew before them. Interviews them along with others: James Taylor, Carol King, etc.

The Immediate Family I saw off Amazon. It's about the session musicians (Waddy Wachtel, Danny Kortchmar, Russell Kunkel, and Leland Sklar) in the 70s era. Much like the Wrecking Crew before them. Interviews them along with others: James Taylor, Carol King, etc.
    Yes, that is a good one. Those guys have played on so many albums that people have no clue about.

The Judge--Netflix, leaving soon, Robert Downey Jr, Robert Duvall, etc. Pretty decent, what I might call an old fashion movie in a lot of ways. Somewhat cliched, but watchable.

"Without us, some guys would starve."

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    "Without us, some guys would starve."

I don't know that couple or what's the joke?

The Judge--Netflix, leaving soon, Robert Downey Jr, Robert Duvall, etc. Pretty decent, what I might call an old fashion movie in a lot of ways. Somewhat cliched, but watchable.
    I also rewatched recently. I really liked it.

Under Paris

Wound up rooting for the shark in this one. Completely illogical story, stupid characters, bad cgi, yet I would probably watch it again. If there's a sequel, I'll watch that also. Go figure

5.5 out of 10 predictable eatings

For you Godzilla fans (or card collectors), there's a new set of six cards for the UniVersus Games Godzilla Challenger Series. (<— link to the artwork)

I'm sharing this link because the artwork was done by Sean Donnan, son of Rob Donnan, whom many of you may remember as PE's own Britdude.