Page 418 of 418 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418
Results 10,426 to 10,440 of 10440

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Demons (1985, Bava) last night. As the zombie movie list points out, the movie features zombies, not demons. Good movie. Most of the movies on the list (that I don't own) seem to be unavailable for free streaming. But I found Demons on Kanopy, commercial free.

Kanopy is a great site, isn't it? Lots and lots of movies.

Hippy dude uses it a lot too.

There's another site you access through your library called Hoopla. It doesn't have as many movies but it appears to have more music and audiobooks. Still, I have found some things to watch that I've put on my list:

· Lamb, with Noomi Rapace. Synopsis: in rural Iceland, a childless couple discover a strange and unnatural newborn in their sheep barn. It's labeled as horror.
    · Hagazussa. A German movie about a witch in the 15th century.
    · Requiem for a Vampire. French movie from 1973.
    · The Exorcist III, which I've always meant to see.
    · Death Ride To Osaka, from 1983, with Jennifer Jason Leigh. I confess, my only interest in this is because I know Jenny (she lets me call her that) isn't afraid to do nude scenes. lol
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

I use Hoopla. It's great. I am listening to the audio book "When we Cease to Understand the World" by Benjamin Labatut.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I think the number of movies may depend on what's available at (or through) your local library. I have had Kanopy for a couple months and Demons is the first film I've watched. Selection small so far.

I'll see if I can figure out how to get Hoopla through Roku. Kanopy was complicated enough for this dinosaur.

I found the Hoopla app on my tv. I found out my library is not listed on the Hoopla website. I'll ask about it next time I'm at the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

The William Peter Blatty novel Legion, that this film was based on, is awesome.

OK, bye.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I think the number of movies may depend on what's available at (or through) your local library. I have had Kanopy for a couple months and Demons is the first film I've watched. Selection small so far.

I'll see if I can figure out how to get Hoopla through Roku. Kanopy was complicated enough for this dinosaur.
    I have both Kanopy and Hoopla on my Roku and I don't recall it being difficult to sign up for either one, other than having to enter my library card number and pin.

You can also increase the number of selections by being a member of more than one library. I'm a member of five, I think, and while there is a lot of overlap there're also unique selections for each.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I use Hoopla. It's great. I am listening to the audio book "When we Cease to Understand the World" by Benjamin Labatut.
    I should look into audiobooks. For about 3 months, I was addicted to the Things You Should Know podcast and podcasts aren't that much different from audiobooks.

There's another site you access through your library called Hoopla. It doesn't have as many movies but it appears to have more music and audiobooks. Still, I have found some things to watch that I've put on my list:

· Lamb, with Noomi Rapace. Synopsis: in rural Iceland, a childless couple discover a strange and unnatural newborn in their sheep barn. It's labeled as horror.
    · Death Ride To Osaka, from 1983, with Jennifer Jason Leigh. I confess, my only interest in this is because I know Jenny (she lets me call her that) isn't afraid to do nude scenes. lol
    Exorcist III might be my favorite of them all. At least I found it to be the scariest. I watch it around this time every year. Great film! Lamb is one I've had on my list for a long time. Heard it's a slow burn worth the wait for the payoff. Need to get to that one.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I dug me some Lamb. Really liked Hagazussa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Really liked Hagazussa.
    I've been meaning to see that too. I just have to mentally prepare myself for subtitles and time my drinking properly
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm down with the Hoopla and I'll be checking that out.

I quit watching it after the second or third episode, so I don't remember very well. But in general, it was the changes to the story and characters, especially making Emperor Cleon three versions of himself. I just couldn't get on board with that and was afraid of what they'd do with The Mule (my favorite part in the Trilogy), when that subplot came up, which I'm guessing will come in season 2. That's assuming it will.
    Wow, so in the books, there are no 3 Cleons? Brother Dawn, Brother Day and Brother Dusk? That is such a huge part of the show's story. Interesting. Yeah, I could see how such a major change might be a turn-off when one is familiar with the novels. I've watched all the first two seasons, but I can't remember a mule character, although it does say that he was in Season 2.

Neil
    "Just know that even if we listen to the same bands, I listen to them BETTER than you" - Gene Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Demons (1985, Bava) last night. As the zombie movie list points out, the movie features zombies, not demons. Good movie. Most of the movies on the list (that I don't own) seem to be unavailable for free streaming. But I found Demons on Kanopy, commercial free.
    I love Demons. Possibly because it I actually saw it first run in a theatre in Toronto back in 1985. I don't think that it played for very long, but I really loved the concept, the music, the effects...everything came together nicely.

Neil
    "Just know that even if we listen to the same bands, I listen to them BETTER than you" - Gene Meyer

[INDENT]

That's a Jean Rollin movie. I love his stuff and went through pretty much his whole filmography, while reading a book about his career. You'll likely either love it, or hate it. Could go either way. It'll definitely help if you don't need the Hollywood style of story-telling, where the plot has to be laid out nicely and everything generally makes sense, lol. European movies are more about interesting visuals and trying to capture emotions on film. The visuals in his films can be striking and dream-like.

Neil