Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Romantic Warriors IV: Krautrock

Attachment 15022
    This is Sid Smith's review of Krautrock 2 that just appeared on Prog Magazine's April 2021 issue.
    by Sid Smith
    Revealing footage of 60s/70s souther German scene

"Filmmakers Adele Schmidt and Jose Zegarra Holder are tenacious in their ongoing quest to meticulously document progressive music’s various tributaries. Every bit as enthralling and exhaustive as their previous explorations of Rock In Opposition and the Canterbury Scene, this second installment of a projected trilogy covering Krautrock spends more than two hours on the bands that emerged in Southern Germany including Xhol Caravan, Amon Duul II, Guru Guru, Kraaan and many others.

Covering the galvanizing role of political protest, LSD, and English and American pop’s impact on the native scene, this DVD is rammed with rare footage of groups in their hairy heyday, interlaced with contemporary commentary from several of those early movers and shakers.

With the energy and vitality that animated much of the music driving narrative, there’s little nostalgia here.
    Instead, it feels like eavesdropping on survivors describing the aftermath of cultural hurricane that swept them up and how, decades on, they have come to terms with that part of their lives. Away from the obvious big names, lesser-known outfits get their spotlight moment, ensuring this is a detailed and penetrating account."

sid_smith_review.jpg

Congrats....spot-on review for another wonderful doc...these two Krautrock docs might be your best and my favorites, but they are all quite good.

Both Krautrock part 1 and part 2 are now available for rental streaming on our Reelhouse site, with subtitles in English and French. Let us know if anyone out there would like us to add Spanish and/or Italian subtitles as well.

KRAUTROCK 1
    https://www.reelhouse.org/zeitgeistm...autrock-part-1

KRAUTROCK 2
    https://www.reelhouse.org/zeitgeistmedia/krautrock-2

Note: To Activate the subtitling, once in the video player, turn on Close Captions (CC) and then select your chosen language.

Wow.. Popol Vuh. I must be getting this!!

We are thrilled to announce today's launch of our crowdfunding campaign for the eagerly awaited final installment of the Krautrock Trilogy, KRAUTROCK 3, a film that dives deep into the innovative music scenes of Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich, with a special focus on the Berlin School of Music. Explore exclusive rewards and get involved at the ground level to make a pivotal impact. Check out our campaign, join our community of music lovers, and claim your piece of Krautrock history today! ���� Visit our campaign here: http://igg.me/at/krautrock3

Watch the trailer here:

SYNOPSIS: Romantic Warriors IV: Krautrock 3 (2024) explores Berlin's rebellious music scene (1968-1971), focusing on bands and musicians like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Agitation Free, Günther Schickert and venues like the Zodiak, as well as key innovative bands from Hamburg and Munich.

It includes Achim Reichel of the Hamburg scene, known for his work with The Rattles and A.R. & Machines, who was among the first who pioneered the ECHO Guitar technique, drawing parallels to Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream.

Tangerine Dream's significant contributions to electronica and their adoption of digital technology are detailed by Jerome Froese and Johannes Schmoelling.

Klaus Schulze's evolution from Tangerine Dream to a solo digital artist is also featured.

Günther Schickert discusses his early days in Berlin's music scene and his innovative use of the ECHO guitar.

Agitation Free, known for their psychedelic Krautrock, is represented by Lutz Ulrich and Michael Hoenig, who speak about their experimental sound mixing with ethnic music influences. Michael also examines the impact of his solo/collaboration albums on the scene and his Hollywood career.

The Cosmic Jokers' LSD-influenced performances are highlighted by Harald Grosskopf, along with his Cult album Synthesist.

Embryo's fusion of world music with Krautrock and their influence on the world music genre is introduced by founder Chris Burchard and his daughter Marja.

Finally, the documentary covers the English progressive rock band Nektar, featuring insights from Roy Albrighton, Derek “Mo” Moore, and Ron Howden*on their success in Germany and the USA and their influence on the progressive rock genre.

The documentary weaves these narratives to showcase the lasting legacy of the Krautrock era in shaping diverse music styles and artists well into the 1970s and beyond.

KRAUTROCK 3 focuses on the following bands and artists:
    TANGERINE DREAM • AGITATION FREE • KLAUS SCHULZE •GUNTER SCHICKERT • A.R. MACHINES • NEKTAR • EMBRYO*• THE COSMIC JOKERS*• MICHAEL HOENIG*• HARALD GROSSKOPF*• CONRAD SCHNITZLER*• TON STEINE SCHERBEN*• FLOH DE COLOGNE*•

Musicians*interviewed for KRAUTROCK 3 include:
    JOHANNES SCHMOELLING • HARALD GROSSKOPF •GÜNTER SCHICKERT • MICHAEL HOENIG • LUTZ "LÜÜL" ULBRICH • JEROME FROESE • CHRISTIAN BURCHARD • ACHIM REICHEL • ROY ALBRIGHTON • RON HOWDEN • DEREK "MO" MOORE • MICK BROCKETT*• *MARJA BURCHARD*•

Additionally, insights from Krautrock experts and authors ALAN AND STEVE FREEMAN are included, along with perspectives from seasoned musicians MARKUS REUTER, BERNHARD WÖSTHEINRICH, *& RYCHE CHLANDA, enriching the narrative with diverse viewpoints on this influential musical movement.

Jose & Adele

I'll be in for that, for sure.

when do you expect to release it... Still in 24??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love that Gunter Schickert is getting some time on this.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'll be in for that, for sure.

when do you expect to release it... Still in 24??
    Thanks for asking Mr. Chantrain. It'd be released in September 2024.

J

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I love that Gunter Schickert is getting some time on this.
    That's great to hear! Gunter Schickert's unique style and contributions to the Krautrock scene definitely deserve more spotlight. We're excited to feature his work and influence in our film. It's awesome to know you're looking forward to it too!

Agitation Free is one of Berlin's bands featured in our film "Krautrock 3". Check out this clip from the upcoming movie and visit our fundraising campaign at https://igg.me/at/krautrock3.

Help us get to 100 backers! Check out this cool snippet from our "Krautrock 3" doc! Jerome Froese and Johannes Schmoelling chat about how Michael Mann picked Tangerine Dream to score "Thief," a major moment when their electronic vibes really hit the big screen. We're wrapping up this film and could use your help! Swing by our IndieGogo campaign to pitch in and help us share this awesome piece of music history. Let’s make it happen together, every bit helps! Join in now and let's finish this film!

Help us get to 100 backers! https://igg.me/at/krautrock3

Achim Reichel is one of the key artists featured in the film. He stands as a pivotal figure in the Krautrock movement. His band, A.R. and the Machines, set a high standard with their mesmerizing space-echo guitar techniques. Initially, he was the founder and guitarist of THE RATTLERS, the most popular Beat band in 60s Germany. However, Reichel soon found the repetitive 4/4 beat unsatisfying and was looking for a more challenging musical expression.

Reichel's signature guitar echo effects, discovered entirely by accident, became his hallmark. "I was just experimenting with my guitar when suddenly the Akai X-3300 began producing endless cascades of echoes," he explained. Starting with his 1971 album "The Green Journey," Reichel crafted an expansive, alternate universe. This world was so immersive that listeners felt a stark reconnection with reality at the album's conclusion, a testament to his profound and far-reaching musical vision. Achim Reichel's contributions to music deserve nothing but admiration.

Visit our IndieGogo campaign to help us share this awesome piece of music history. Let’s make it happen together, every bit helps! Join in now and let's finish this film!

Help us get to 150 backers! https://igg.me/at/krautrock3