Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frost* and Inside Out Records

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

They're not like DT.
    Frost is prog-styled electronica-rock, heavy on unusual keyboards and quirky production techniques. Well, Milliontown is like that anyway.
    I did say "kind of like". Let me explain myself:

They are both traditional guitar/keys/bass/drums/vocals specializing in making technically proficient, busy guitar and keyboard parts.
    Jem on keys definitely holds his own with the lead guitarist, often ripping out blistering powerful solos that easily compete with the lead guitarist.
    They both balance their compositions with heavy riffing, "battling solos", and guieter, moody sections.

Both groups wear their influences on their sleeves unashamedly, Frost* perhaps dipping more into the classsical than the popular.

Both groups are prone to brick-wall limiting their output, to the detriment of the music. IMO.

I liked DT guite a bit up until Rudess joined, but the only album that gets much airplay from me post-Jordan is Octavarium.

But I find Frost* way more interesting to listen than DT. Jem is very creative and more truly progressive (think "Towerblock" from Falling Satellites) in how he crafts his compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, they're really nothing like Dream Theater, IMO.

Once I described them as "if Genesis and Nine Inch Nails had a baby", but that was tongue-in-cheek and not at all a good description of their overall sound.
    I’d say more like Genesis and Depeche Mode (Violator-era).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Rather unique"? Isn't that an oxymoron, like being "kinda pregnant" or "a little bit dead"?
    Yes, I guess it is, but what I meant is that I don't find them to be prog by numbers. There is something about them that I find unique, but not quite sure how to put my finger on it.

Hmmmm...Hoping for something closer to Milliontown then Falling Satellites. Although FS was OK it really didn't work for me live, just a relentless wall of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Hmmmm...Hoping for something closer to Milliontown then Falling Satellites. Although FS was OK it really didn't work for me live, just a relentless wall of noise.
    My feelings exactly. In fact I had the album on vinyl and wound up selling after several attempts to replay it, and I walked away with the same feelings.
    My favorite Frost is the DVD they did from their studio. Fun to watch and it sounds great!
    If I need my Frost fix that's my go to version.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I love Falling Satellites, and I reach for it more than Milliontown these days. The sound of the album I think is consistent with the ethos of the band, which is neo-progressive rock/pop heavily informed by modern pop production and sound design. I actually like the harder edge of tracks like Towerblock. Jem, IMO, is the most talented keyboardist/arranger since Tony Banks.

Can't wait for the new album!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Love Milliontown. After that - not so much.
    The Prog Corner

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Another fan of Falling Satellites, but also really enjoy Milliontown. The 2nd record hasn't seen play by me for some time (not saying I don't like it).

I'm sure I'll pick up this new one.

Jon Neudorf
    I think they all have something special to offer. Its cool they changed up their sound for each album. You know, variety is the spice of life.
    Looking forward to the new album. Should probably give it a review.

I dig all their albums and can't wait for the new one. Jem is a real lad - he always seems to be having so much fun when he plays.

Frost would not normally be my thing but I do like most bands that John Mitchell is involved with including the It Bites reboot, Kino and Lonely Robot, so I found myself getting Milliontown on release and liking it. I never picked up any of the others, but was tempted enough to buy the box set of them all which was tastefully presented and is a nice addition to the collection. John from his Facebook posts is very positive about this new album (well he would be, as he’s in pre-release hype mode), so I’m looking forward to it.

p.s. I don’t own one note of Dream Theater, just never been my thing at all.

I'm always excited for new Frost* material. I'm a bit of a John Mitchell fanboy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I thought Falling Satellites was great. I bought it on vinyl. Looking forward to the new one. Mitchell is an amazing talent. I ALMOST got to sing an Arena song with him a couple of years ago at a private event, but it ended up being just me, Clive Nolan, and bassist Kylan Amos (playing my bass, LOL!). In fact, it was John's birthday that night. Lots of gin!

Looking forward to the camples.

This is exciting news! I love they have three new drummers, should prove interesting, can't wait!

Ember
    This is very soon after a "career-spanning box set" for a new album, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    This is very soon after a "career-spanning box set" for a new album, isn't it?
    That's what a pandemic can do.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    This is exciting news! I love they have three new drummers, should prove interesting, can't wait!
    Yikes what does that mean? I was really looking forward to Craig Blundell! He is phenomenal.

I wasn't that fond of Experiments in Mass Appeal or Falling Satellites, but I did love "The Dividing Line" from The Philadelphia Experiment. An excellent, propulsive track from beginning to end, definitely in the Milliontown style, with some terrific-as-usual Mitchell guitar work, and featuring a dramatic ending that doesn't fall into the "Hey Jude"/"Supper's Ready" cliches.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm kinda with you there. Got Milliontown and loved it. Got EiMA and liked it but found it a bit too harsh overall to go back to again & again. Got TPE and that is my most listened to Frost album by far (but I am a huge NDV fan). Never got FS as the couple tracks I heard before it's release didn't particularly turn me on. Heard something from their EP last year that I liked but waited to get 13 Winters when that came out. Now that I've listened to everything, I like actually do like FS... but the instrumental version that was added to the anthology. Go figure.