Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bluegrass thread

Southwest Michigan has become a bit of a bluegrass breeding ground in the last decade. Billy Strings is from Muir Michigan, about an hour from where I live, and has become huge. Green Sky Bluegrass are from my hometown of Kalamazoo. They play places like Red Rocks in Colorado and have also become quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    We saw Del McCoury Band in Newton, NJ last night. Dude is fucking 85 and still absolutely killing it! Even dealing with any hecklers, albeit in a respectful southern gentleman manner. The band is nuts, especially Jason Carter on fiddle and Ronnie McCoury on mando. Del told a cool Phish story too.
    Really liked Jason's album that came out at the end of '22.

He does a great cover of this John Hartford tune. The album version has both Jerry Douglas and Sam Bush accompanying.

Saw Mighty Poplar on Friday. Parts of Punch Brothers, Leftover Salmon, and Watchhouse.
    Very nice, then saw Fred Frith and Ikou Mori. It was different.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Saw Mighty Poplar on Friday. Parts of Punch Brothers, Leftover Salmon, and Watchhouse.
    Very nice, then saw Fred Frith and Ikou Mori. It was different.
    Nice! Was Thile involved? My wife's first cousin is Andy Falco, who plays guitar in The Infamous Stringdusters. He took over guitar duties when Chris Eldridge left to join Punch Bros.

No, mandolin duty is Andrew Marlin of Watchhouse , Noam Pikelny and Chris Eldridge of Punch Brothers, and bassist Greg Garrison (Leftover Salmon)
    Just a different collab project. Thile would have been nice. I'm going to see him with the National Symphony at the Kennedy Center in a couple of weeks."A Narrative Song Cycle for Extroverted Mandolinist and Orchestra"
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Would have liked to see Molly Tuttle at the Big Ears Festival
    Did anybody saw her show?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman

I picked up Tony's latest CD "Earl Jam" today. This is the opening number.

Saw Alison Krauss and Robert Plant last night. It was postponed from last year due to smoke from Canada.
    A really nice show. It leaned a little too heavy on the Led Zeppelin catalog ( got to keep those fans happy ), but was a good mix of new and oldish. Lots of Bluegrass and Bluegrass adjacent material.
    The band was great. Stewart Duncan violin, guitar, mandolin mandoguitar, he did several violin duets with Alison. I've seen him many times with Emmylou Harris, YoYo Ma ( Goat Rodeo sessions ) Diana Krall, and others.
    Viktor Krauss on electric bass, electric and acoustic guitar, mellotron, and other keys. Dennis Crouch on stand up bass.
    JD McPherson on lead guitar was really good. Rock came from his side of the stage. His band opened with some rockabilly renditions of Iggy Pop's 'Lust for Life' and others. Jay Bellerose rounded things out on drums.

One odd, for Wolf Trap, thing was a beefed up security presence. There are always park police, and park rangers around, but there were big tatted up guys in armor hanging around the edges. I guess the Plants fans can be a little excitable. Not last night.
    20240618_220429.jpg
    -- Aristotle

Saw Alison Krauss and Robert Plant last night. It was postponed from last year due to smoke from Canada.
    A really nice show. It leaned a little too heavy on the Led Zeppelin catalog ( got to keep those fans happy ), but was a good mix of new and oldish. Lots of Bluegrass and Bluegrass adjacent material.
    The band was great. Stewart Duncan violin, guitar, mandolin mandoguitar, he did several violin duets with Alison. I've seen him many times with Emmylou Harris, YoYo Ma ( Goat Rodeo sessions ) Diana Krall, and others.
    Viktor Krauss on electric bass, electric and acoustic guitar, mellotron, and other keys. Dennis Crouch on stand up bass.
    JD McPherson on lead guitar was really good. Rock came from his side of the stage. His band opened with some rockabilly renditions of Iggy Pop's 'Lust for Life' and others. Jay Bellerose rounded things out on drums.

One odd, for Wolf Trap, thing was a beefed up security presence. There are always park police, and park rangers around, but there were big tatted up guys in armor hanging around the edges. I guess the Plants fans can be a little excitable. Not last night.
    20240618_220429.jpg
    I saw McPherson and his solo band at Bell's Brewery here in Kalamazoo last year. I was a little disappointed he did not do more jamming, but it was a good show.

20240618_220429.jpg
    Nice! Stuart Duncan is my favorite fiddle player on planet Earth.