Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Is Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" the most perfect Prog album ever?

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I'll second that for PP's first two albums!!!
    Everything else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Visitation (1979) is my favourite Pohjola album. That is almost perfect album!
    It's one of mine as well. Actually it was my first Pekka Pohjola CD. Had Pekka Pohjola and Mike and Sally Oldfield on vinyl for some time.

New documentary from The Yak

he ain't no Rael 74 for sure.

disagreed about some of his lyrics interpretations but this is nitpicking.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I consider it to have greatness in the sense that the writing was unique and original. My son ( age 17) heard the album playing in our kitchen last week . He says..."Dad...this sounds like King Crimson "

Interestingly...other people in the world get that impression. I don't. I hear an influence but it feels faint and traces of ideas on acoustic guitar played by Hackett, Rutherford , and Banks remind me more of quiet gentle music on The Geese And The Ghost...Anthony Phillips.

Selling England By The Pound has similarities to other great Prog albums of those times. I can't be clear about its comparison to other albums, but it's just a fact that it often leaves an impression on people. If you're listening to Gentle Giant Octopus, Renaissance Turn Of The Cards, Yes..Close To The Edge, King Crimson Lizard, or The Enid In The Region Of The Summer Stars...Selling England creates a perfect setting alongside these albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I consider it to have greatness in the sense that the writing was unique and original. My son ( age 17) heard the album playing in our kitchen last week . He says..."Dad...this sounds like King Crimson "

Interestingly...other people in the world get that impression. I don't. I hear an influence but it feels faint and traces of ideas on acoustic guitar played by Hackett, Rutherford , and Banks remind me more of quiet gentle music on The Geese And The Ghost...Anthony Phillips.

Selling England By The Pound has similarities to other great Prog albums of those times. I can't be clear about its comparison to other albums, but it's just a fact that it often leaves an impression on people. If you're listening to Gentle Giant Octopus, Renaissance Turn Of The Cards, Yes..Close To The Edge, King Crimson Lizard, or The Enid In The Region Of The Summer Stars...Selling England creates a perfect setting alongside these albums.
    I don't hear a whole lot of similarity to any of those albums (to be fair I don't know the Enid that well and not that album). I don't think it sounds much like anything other than itself. That said I get the strong feeling that if it weren't for PFM's Per Un Amico, Selling England would sound different. Genesis spent a lot of time in Italy in the early 70s and were very popular there so I really doubt they didn't hear that album. Plus I get the feeling it prompted them to purchase a synthesizer for the first time. Do I have any evidence for this statement? Nope, just my ears so it's really just a hunch.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't hear a whole lot of similarity to any of those albums (to be fair I don't know the Enid that well and not that album). I don't think it sounds much like anything other than itself. That said I get the strong feeling that if it weren't for PFM's Per Un Amico, Selling England would sound different. Genesis spent a lot of time in Italy in the early 70s and were very popular there so I really doubt they didn't hear that album. Plus I get the feeling it prompted them to purchase a synthesizer for the first time. Do I have any evidence for this statement? Nope, just my ears so it's really just a hunch.
    Correct....I agree... I may have worded incorrectly. I meant that Selling England ( to me) is just as enjoyable as the aforementioned. It feels genuine to me.. and has the same value as other great Prog releases in the 70s

What? No. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

I still think "More Fool Me" is terrible. I don't mean just bad - I mean cringe-inducing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I still think "More Fool Me" is terrible. I don't mean just bad - I mean cringe-inducing.
    Cringe-inducing, I think is a bit to strong. It feels a bit tacked on. A schoolmate of mine suggested it was added to make the album longer, so it wouldn't fit on one side of a C90 tape.

Well I am sure many of us opted for the easy solution to that problem 😅

2/3 rds of it is perfect, 1/3 of it is 2nd tier prog that many other bands would have left on the shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    2/3 rds of it is perfect, 1/3 of it is 2nd tier prog that many other bands would have left on the shelf!
    Which songs belong to that 1/3? I can hardly think of any song on this album, that is 2nd tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Which songs belong to that 1/3? I can hardly think of any song on this album, that is 2nd tier.
    "More Fool Me" and "After The Ordeal". "The Battle Of Epping Forest" is also pretty uneven.

My review: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ge...he-pound-1973/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

"More Fool Me" and "After The Ordeal". "The Battle Of Epping Forest" is also pretty uneven.

I really like The battle of Epping Forest

Yeah, those three!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Yeah, those three!
    I defenitly don't agree with the opinion on The battle of Epping Forest.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like Epping Forest too.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

MFM is certainly cringe stuff

I never understood the deal with Ordeal! It's perfect where it is and provides a great instrumental breath of fresh air (without needless complications) after the moody, wordy and very funny Epping Forest.

Instead of Ordeal, I'd point out Wardrobe as slightly "weaker".
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Kcrimso's review more or less encapsulates much of what I found lacking in SEBTP, though I differ on a couple of points. For one thing, I believe that "I Know What I Like" is the most successful track (besides The Cinema Show), in that Genesis is now trying out shorter, more compact material, and it works for me, while the longer pieces aren't as persuasive to me as their earlier works in that mold. Epping Forest is just musically tedious; the humor of the lyrics isn't enough to sustain my interest for a piece as lengthy as that. It's definitely no Supper's Ready.

"More Fool Me" was OK as another move in a new direction; unfortunately their later efforts in that vein like "Your Own Special Way" showed that this was not a direction I would care for.

When Lamb came out, I was greatly relieved that Genesis had recovered their initial charm and power. They seemed to have applied the lessons of shorter and more concise melodic material learned with the success of Wardrobe, plus the thematic content and depth of the best of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot.

The review's commentary about the lyrics brings into focus for me why I may have found the longer pieces on SEBTP harder to appreciate. Perhaps it's an American vs. UK thing; they might be more meaningful at first hearing to a Britisher.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I'm Dutch, not British, but I liked the word-play in The battle of Epping Forest. And English was not the language I exelled at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm Dutch, not British, but I liked the word-play in The battle of Epping Forest. And English was not the language I exelled at.
    The songs that concerned me were Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show (the same ones Kcrimso had reservations about). The Epping wordplay was fine with me (and I speak as a Monty Python fan).
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Had Epping Forest and More Fool Me been left out of the album, I'd consider it nearly flawless. Well, I consider it nearly flawless even with both songs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    The songs that concerned me were Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show (the same ones Kcrimso had reservations about). The Epping wordplay was fine with me (and I speak as a Monty Python fan).
    I'm also a Monty Python fan, so I suppose that explains my love for The battle of Epping Forest. Don't have problems with the other songs. That piano-intro of Firt of Fifth is pure heaven.

My problem is that "More Fool Me" sounds like an attempt at some singer-songwriter dreck. House on poop corner.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet