Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Tull Binge

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Been getting deep into the second disc of the Stormwatch set. There’s lots of good stuff happening there.
    That is probably my favorite "bonus disk" of all the Tull deluxe sets that I own so far. The extended versions of Dark Ages and Orion are definitive IMHO. I also get a lot of mileage out of Broadsword disk 3.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    That is probably my favorite "bonus disk" of all the Tull deluxe sets that I own so far. The extended versions of Dark Ages and Orion are definitive IMHO. I also get a lot of mileage out of Broadsword disk 3.
    Stormwatch, Aqualung and Warchild have strong second albums and Broadsword has a strong extra two albums. The nightcap stuff from 81-82 was mainly mediocre due to the reverb. Now they sound very good

Having just picked up the Steven Wilson re-mix of Thick as a Brick I've been having a good long think about the album and its meaning. I do not for one minute buy into Ian Anderson's 'spoof' narrative. I think that is post punk era revisionism to excuse what is one of the finest concept albums of the period. It may also be partly a distraction from the serious autobiographic content. I think anyone growing up in the 60s or 70s can probably relate to some of the conflicts explored therein – short v long hair, criticism of the materialist world and so on. What do others think? Btw; found one of my old Biggles books yesterday (he said -resting down down in Cornwall not working on his memoirs)
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I've been digging on "Roots to Branches". I like the mystical India twist, Barre's guitar riffs and licks, and Perry's drumming. Branches feature some of my favorite Anderson post-vocal chord-damaged singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Having just picked up the Steven Wilson re-mix of Thick as a Brick I've been having a good long think about the album and its meaning. I do not for one minute buy into Ian Anderson's 'spoof' narrative. I think that is post punk era revisionism to excuse what is one of the finest concept albums of the period. It may also be partly a distraction from the serious autobiographic content. I think anyone growing up in the 60s or 70s can probably relate to some of the conflicts explored therein – short v long hair, criticism of the materialist world and so on. What do others think? Btw; found one of my old Biggles books yesterday (he said -resting down down in Cornwall not working on his memoirs)
    I attended the TAAB & TAAB 2 concert years ago. It was a revelation! The video feed explained the lyrics to me for the first time....being a yank...I didn't know what a Biggles was....as well as other UKism's. It was 40 years of listening without really trying to understand the lyrics.....but then again....for me the instrumentation is my primary focus. What a fun night that concert was.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga