Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Tull Binge

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    OK, a very underrated tune in the Ian Can(n)on: "Lost in Crowds" from Rupi's Dance. Shit, its really really nice even if its his 2003 voice....beautiful tune with a fantastic arrangement.
    Nice to see one like that mentioned. I've always really liked The Little Flower Girl from the previous album The Secret Language Of Birds.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Thick As A Brick. That's a desert island disc for me.
    Same here! This thread has me revved up to listen to the 1-2 punch of SFTW/Heavy Horses!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Nice to see one like that mentioned. I've always really liked The Little Flower Girl from the previous album The Secret Language Of Birds.
    Absolutely, great tune! I've said multiple times - if 1974 Ian was singing on SLOB, it might be the greatest acoustic-ish album Ian ever wrote. The tunes and arrangements are downright magnificent. Rupi's Dance is not far behind, there is some fantastic stuff on there. I always rediscover tunes on these albums after all of these years. They are sort of the modern day Wood/Horses in many ways. Dot Com has a few killer tunes too. Ian is simply a fantastic writer. And don't overlook Brick 2 and Erraticus, great writing abounds, albeit some stale production values and playing. The biggest weak point is of course his vocals, but even in early 2000's he was light-years from where he is in 2018. imo.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I always liked both Rupi's Dance and The Secret Language of Birds. Not as much as the great Tull albums from the 70's but both were nice albums and well worth checking out if you are a Tull fan and haven't.

Absolutely, great tune! I've said multiple times - if 1974 Ian was singing on SLOB, it might be the greatest acoustic-ish album Ian ever wrote. The tunes and arrangements are downright magnificent. Rupi's Dance is not far behind, there is some fantastic stuff on there. I always rediscover tunes on these albums after all of these years. They are sort of the modern day Wood/Horses in many ways. Dot Com has a few killer tunes too. Ian is simply a fantastic writer. And don't overlook Brick 2 and Erraticus, great writing abounds, albeit some stale production values and playing. The biggest weak point is of course his vocals, but even in early 2000's he was light-years from where he is in 2018. imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I always liked both Rupi's Dance and The Secret Language of Birds. Not as much as the great Tull albums from the 70's but both were nice albums and well worth checking out if you are a Tull fan and haven't.
    Agreed. This is why I still look forward to hearing what Ian comes up with next. I liked plenty on TAAB2 and Erraticus... obviously he's going to write the music to suit his diminished range, which is a lot easier for the listener to swallow than him attempting the stuff he wrote and sang as a young man.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Agreed. This is why I still look forward to hearing what Ian comes up with next. I liked plenty on TAAB2 and Erraticus... obviously he's going to write the music to suit his diminished range, which is a lot easier for the listener to swallow than him attempting the stuff he wrote and sang as a young man.
    I wish Ian would focus more on recording new music. Obviously touring is extremely hard on his voice and at this stage in his life and career recording is much easier. I’m sure there’s a reason why he still tours. He’ll he could make an album of half instrumentals and I wouldn’t complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I really liked The Secret Language Of Birds! Glad to see so many of you fine folks here speaking highly of it.

"what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Frankie
    Whats your Tull top ten albums by order

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Frankie
    I can’t pick an order. Top ten are

Stand Up
    Benefit
    Thick as a Brick
    A Passion Play
    WarChild
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Too Old to Rock and Roll
    Songs from the Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Storm Watch

My favorites, listed chronologically:

Stand Up
    Benefit
    Aqualung
    TaaB
    A Passion Play
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Songs from the Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Crest of a Knave

Either Warchild or Stormwatch would round out the 10th album, but I don't like either of these albums as much as the ones listed above. No big surprises, I'm sure.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Frankie
    This is as hard as naming Zappa favs, but I tend to have "lumps" of favs, something like this:

Thick/Brick
    Passion Play
    The Château D'Hérouville Sessions (however I DO like the flute overdubs, but I prefer the SW remixing/mastering over the reverb-drenched Nightcap mastering...so ultimately my fav version will never exist....Make sense?)
    Songs/Wood
    Minstrel
    Aqualung
    Living in the Past
    Nothing is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight
    DVD 2 from "The Country Set" - Live at The Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland, 21st November 1977
    20 Years of Jethro Tull (Full Box Set)
    Heavy Horses
    WarChild
    Stand Up
    Benefit
    Too Old (Yes I really love this album, especially the new SW Morgan Studios TV Special - I prefer this over the official version)
    Stormwatch
    Broadsword/Beast
    Bursting Out
    Christmas Album
    This Was
    A
    Under Wraps
    Crest of a Knave
    Roots to Branches
    Rupis Dance
    Homo Erraticus
    Secret Language of Birds
    Dot Com
    A Little Light Music
    Rock Island
    Catfish Rising

I know this is cheating, but in my mind this is how I would break down this music into subcategories of favs.....too hard otherwise.

What's 'yers Udester?

Love this tune recently....Ian's voice was so killer during the Broadsword/Under Wraps era:

^ I love that album and it's companion Walk Into Light. I get the complete hate of the drum machines, but the songwriting is some of Ian's best in a long time. Maybe that's because of Peter-John Vettese, but they really are cohesive albums.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    ^ I love that album and it's companion Walk Into Light. I get the complete hate of the drum machines, but the songwriting is some of Ian's best in a long time. Maybe that's because of Peter-John Vettese, but they really are cohesive albums.
    I need to check out Walk Into Light again - some of my least listened-to Ian, period. I do love Under Wraps though and it has only gotten better over the years for me.

I need to check out Walk Into Light again - some of my least listened-to Ian, period. I do love Under Wraps though and it has only gotten better over the years for me.
    I could try Under Wraps and Walk Into Light again. I was never thrilled with either of them when they came out and purchased them on cd years ago to try them again and still didn't care for them. Too industrial sounding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My favorites, listed chronologically:

Stand Up
    Benefit
    Aqualung
    TaaB
    A Passion Play
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Songs from the Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Crest of a Knave

Either Warchild or Stormwatch would round out the 10th album, but I don't like either of these albums as much as the ones listed above. No big surprises, I'm sure.

Bill
    Aqualung and Crest of a Knave are the two that I enjoy a lot outside of the ones I listed. I may as well throw in This Was also. Damn it, I can't keep it to only 10.

I'm not sure why most people don't consider Storm Watch in with the classic Tull albums. I think it has everything the classic albums have.

Aqualung and Crest of a Knave are the two that I enjoy a lot outside of the ones I listed. I may as well throw in This Was also. Damn it, I can't keep it to only 10.
    Never was a big fan of This Was, but re-purchased it on CD about a year ago, and found enough there to justify keeping it this time. Not really a top favorite Tull album for me, but not as bad an album as I'd previously felt.

I'm not sure why most people don't consider Storm Watch in with the classic Tull albums. I think it has everything the classic albums have.
    To me, it is the last of the true classic Tull albums. But like Warchild and TOtR&R, it just feels like there's something missing on this one. It just feels like the formula was getting a little thin by this point, and you can almost palpably hear the turmoil about Glascock being ill. All good things must end, and this was the end of a particularly fruitful period for the band.

Don't get me wrong, I still really like the album. Not putting it in my top-10 Tull albums is as much a measure of the quality of the other albums as any comment on this album's shortcomings. But if I had to choose 10, Stormwatch wouldn't be one of them. My choosing Crest over that one is my own personal idiosyncratic taste. I just love that album for some reason, but I recognize most wouldn't rate it so highly.

Bill

The ones I absolutely have to own, in order:

Thick as a Brick
    Songs from the Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Passion Play
    War Child
    Christmas Album

I like a lot of the remaining albums but won't feel the loss if you take them away from me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Never was a big fan of This Was, but re-purchased it on CD about a year ago, and found enough there to justify keeping it this time. Not really a top favorite Tull album for me, but not as bad an album as I'd previously felt.

Bill
    This Was is for sure a totally different animal. My cousin bought Benefit by mistake thinking it was a different band at the time. I remember me and my brother were out playing ball with them when he said you gotta hear these guys. We went down to their house and played Benefit all the way through. We went out and looked to see what other albums were available and got our dad to give us the money to buy Benefit Stand Up and This was all at one time. We were a little puzzled at This Was because it was so different but it’s always held a special place in my childhood. Clive Bunker’s unique style on My Sunday Feeling always brings a smile to my face when I hear it. It’s odd how some albums can just do something to you after all the years and others when you play them after years you wonder why you even liked it at one time.

This Was is for sure a totally different animal. My cousin bought Benefit by mistake thinking it was a different band at the time. I remember me and my brother were out playing ball with them when he said you gotta hear these guys. We went down to their house and played Benefit all the way through. We went out and looked to see what other albums were available and got our dad to give us the money to buy Benefit Stand Up and This was all at one time. We were a little puzzled at This Was because it was so different but it’s always held a special place in my childhood. Clive Bunker’s unique style on My Sunday Feeling always brings a smile to my face when I hear it. It’s odd how some albums can just do something to you after all the years and others when you play them after years you wonder why you even liked it at one time.

Great post and so true!

Great post and so true!

Now that we have the remixes, there's not much difference in quality between each session anymore. Lots of great extra tracks on the remixes, especially the albums which were originally weaker. It really evens out and pretty much proves the band were trying different styles of songs and albums each year. Some years prog, some years folk, some years commercial. But overall there's enough quality prog each year to prove the band were always making great music from the late 60s and all the way through the 70s until the early 80s.

I played it last night and ... the wife didn't even complain "is that Jethro Tull again!" Again, I really thing it comes down to the songs... Different Germany, Toad In The hole, Black & White TV, the flow of the entire album just makes for a great listen, plus I am a fan of that keyboard tech. Maybe it sounds dated, but it sounds good!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I love Walk Into Light. A distinctly moody vibe to it that always makes me think of a rainy day - in a good way. I think it's a strong batch of songs and Ian's vocals were excellent around that time. I listen to it far more often than I do Under Wraps.

My favourites are the 1968-72 albums and then SFTW/Heavy Horses. I like Crest Of A Knave and Roots To Branches. I really struggle with A Passion Play, War Child and Too Old...