Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PE Fitness Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I have a bike I like to ride
    I don’t like the body position of bike riding or kayaking. I’m thinking about getting an elliptical bike and perhaps a Hobie paddle board which uses enables my legs to propel itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    ^^^^ I need to do strength exercises.
    I have an old rubber band Solo-Flex machine that I have had for many years. I don't even remember when I bought it, but I have had it for a long time. I still use that for some exercises along with free weights. I find as I get older it is harder on my joints, so I do a bit lighter weights than I used to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Since I am now retired I have more time for working out so am in the best shape I have been in for years. When not travelling (which we do a lot of) I do a weight workout, walk 3 laps of our neighborhood which is about 4.5 miles, and ride my stationary bike for 30 to 60 minutes daily.

On the whole though, I am in the best shape I have been in years at 61.
    I'm a bit older than you, just started working out again over the last year and increased my strength 25-35% in some areas, but between covid and back problems, still trying to get back to where I was six months ago and lose weight. Very frustrating.

But I will soon have more time for fitness, will hit the gym hard and plan to be in the best shape in many years because I RETIRE TOMORROW!

...and I plan to do a LOT of traveling starting with a Danube cruise in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I'm a bit older than you, just started working out again over the last year and increased my strength 25-35% in some areas, but between covid and back problems, still trying to get back to where I was six months ago and lose weight. Very frustrating.

But I will soon have more time for fitness, will hit the gym hard and plan to be in the best shape in many years because I RETIRE TOMORROW!

...and I plan to do a LOT of traveling starting with a Danube cruise in two weeks.
    Congratulations! I have had several friends who have done European river cruises and loved them. It is on our list to do eventually.

We did one for Christmas, and it was wonderful ... until the water levels got so high the ship couldn't get under a bridge and they had to transfer us to busses and hotels for the last few days of the trip. My son and I both have joint problems which make sitting in a bus for long periods of time painful, and just about agonizing for him. Water levels should not be a problem for you, though, I imagine.

Which cruise line are you sailing on? We did Viking and I was impressed by everything except for the communications around the change of plans...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    You've heard of Everyday Fitness, Anytime Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness.

I belong to Seldom Fitness.

Banned

Have you had your Vitamin D levels tested. Most people don’t know they are deficient. Shooting for 60 ng/ml serum D levels is good. Pretty commonly it takes 4000 iu /day to get there in the winter. It’s not just about bones, it’s immunity and deficient people (less than 20ng/ml) are 28 times more likely to have severe COVID. Another factor is that exposure to near infrared radiation (NIR) reduces inflammation big time via stimulus of mitochondria which produce melatonin at the intracellular level. Melatonin is a potent antioxidant and anti inflammatory. Supplements of melatonin used for sleep will never be as effective for sleep or inflammation as NIR. People are buying infrared saunas. People who live in FL or far enough south, who get their D from the sun, and getting sufficient D, are getting suffcient NIR.

My Dr. recommended B6. So I'm taking B6 along with D.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My Dr. recommended B6. So I'm taking B6 along with D.
    What is your serum D level?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    We did one for Christmas, and it was wonderful ... until the water levels got so high the ship couldn't get under a bridge and they had to transfer us to busses and hotels for the last few days of the trip. My son and I both have joint problems which make sitting in a bus for long periods of time painful, and just about agonizing for him. Water levels should not be a problem for you, though, I imagine.

Which cruise line are you sailing on? We did Viking and I was impressed by everything except for the communications around the change of plans...
    It is Viking. We considered other lines, but the itinerary, timing and price worked out best and Viking has retained a rather stellar reputation. Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Banned
    Have you had your Vitamin D levels tested. Most people don’t know they are deficient. Shooting for 60 ng/ml serum D levels is good. Pretty commonly it takes 4000 iu /day to get there in the winter. It’s not just about bones, it’s immunity and deficient people (less than 20ng/ml) are 28 times more likely to have severe COVID. Another factor is that exposure to near infrared radiation (NIR) reduces inflammation big time via stimulus of mitochondria which produce melatonin at the intracellular level. Melatonin is a potent antioxidant and anti inflammatory. Supplements of melatonin used for sleep will never be as effective for sleep or inflammation as NIR. People are buying infrared saunas. People who live in FL or far enough south, who get their D from the sun, and getting sufficient D, are getting suffcient NIR.
    I don’t know anything about NIR tbh, but yes several years ago my GP found me to be vitamin D deficient and I’ve been taking it daily ever since and I feel it’s made a difference. So as far as I’m concerned, that’s very good advice.

What is your serum D level?
    No idea. Next time I do lab work I'll ask them. Pretty sure I have some lab reports somewhere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    No idea. Next time I do lab work I'll ask them. Pretty sure I have some lab reports somewhere.
    Many insurances don’t pay for D assessment. That is insane. I’m not saying D is a panacea, but 46% of Americans are deficient and 80% of Americans with recent African ancestry.

Banned

I take what he takes 4000iu Vitamin D3 and 100microg of vitamin K2-M7 variant. K2 assists in transfer of calcium to the bones. Waiting for enough time to show K2 transfers calcium out of the arteries.

I'm disappointed that I didn't see this thread before.

When I turned 50 I wasn't overweight, but was way out of shape and had no strength, fitness, or ... purpose.

So I got into a heavy lifting program for 6 or 7 years, and built enough bulk to challenge Charles Atlas.

Switched over to more endurance oriented sports - and all that lovely bulk melted off within 6 months

I've been doing competitive cycling and really tough hikes for several years now. Not in the "shape" I'd like, but the strength and endurance are not bad.

Recent events: Climbed Mt. rainier last year. Many hikes of 15 and 20 miles, in rough hilly terrain. Cycled ~2,000 miles (not enough to competitive, but this year will be better.)

I'm competing in a kayak race in late April, so back in the gym for a while, training up for that. After that - back on the bike, gearing up for a 200km (~125 miles) race later in the year.
    Regards,

Duncan

Since I posted here last, I stopped hiking with hiking groups because they were too slow. I upped my game to 6 miles per day, but technically only hike with real elevation change 3 times a week.
    Chris,

You may recall that I recommended the Mountain Club of Maryland. https://www.mcomd.org/ They're out of the Baltimore region, and have ~800 members.

There's a Wednesday group of retirees who hike at a reasonable pace, and do plenty of elevation. A typical hike would be 12 miles with 1,500 feet of elevation. They have a range of easy, medium, hard, and strenuous hikes, designed to suit a range of hikers - with most events on Wednesdays, or the weekend for us working stiffs. They typically put on more than 20 different events / month, so there should be plenty to choose from.

Here's a typical Mountain club hike that I did last May: https://www.strava.com/activities/7126932699

I love hiking solo, but I've come to enjoy the Mountain club events - they're a great bunch of people.

Edit

Right after I posted this ^^^ I got an email from the club:

They're planning a tough and fast and hilly 21-mile hike along the Appalachian Trail from PenMar Park to Washington Monument State Park in September.

I've done that several times (as well as a 42-miler that goes from PenMar to Harpers Ferry, 42 miles in a day.)

Those are obviously not typical hikes but they're fun challenges.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 04-04-2023 at 06:28 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Does anyone use Strava to track your exercise activities?
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    Good stuff Duncan! I might just look into the Mountain Club, but unlike you, I’m not ready for that 42 mile hike...yet.

I’d like to point out that we lose bone density as we age and that weight-bearing exercise has been shown to slow osteoporosis and even build bone. So if you don’t want to be a fragile old man, get to it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Chris,

You may recall that I recommended the Mountain Club of Maryland. https://www.mcomd.org/ They're out of the Baltimore region, and have ~800 members.

There's a Wednesday group of retirees who hike at a reasonable pace, and do plenty of elevation. A typical hike would be 12 miles with 1,500 feet of elevation. They have a range of easy, medium, hard, and strenuous hikes, designed to suit a range of hikers - with most events on Wednesdays, or the weekend for us working stiffs. They typically put on more than 20 different events / month, so there should be plenty to choose from.

Here's a typical Mountain club hike that I did last May: https://www.strava.com/activities/7126932699

I love hiking solo, but I've come to enjoy the Mountain club events - they're a great bunch of people.

Edit

Right after I posted this ^^^ I got an email from the club:

They're planning a tough and fast and hilly 21-mile hike along the Appalachian Trail from PenMar Park to Washington Monument State Park in September.

I've done that several times (as well as a 42-miler that goes from PenMar to Harpers Ferry, 42 miles in a day.)

Those are obviously not typical hikes but they're fun challenges.
    Thanks for the info.

Banned

PE Fitness Thread

Good stuff Duncan! I might just look into the Mountain Club, but unlike you, I’m not ready for that 42 mile hike...yet.

I’d like to point out that we lose bone density as we age and that weight-bearing exercise has been shown to slow osteoporosis and even build bone. So if you don’t want to be a fragile old man, get to it!
    I’m not so into the large distance hikes and most people I know that do that, need days to recover. Since I am retired I don’t have to interleave exercise with work. So I prefer a consistent daily routine of exercise with part time stressors. I am able to maintain my consistency in the winter by spending Jan and Feb in Florida.
    Last edited by Firth; 04-05-2023 at 05:57 AM.

Cool - it's a great club. (And they have an awesome webmaster )

What part of MD are you in?

Very true!

I've been back in the gym for a few weeks, but need to add volume - and time - and be more consistent
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm disappointed that I didn't see this thread before.

When I turned 50 I wasn't overweight, but was way out of shape and had no strength, fitness, or ... purpose.
    QFT

I was a huge fitness person for several decades. I ran two marathons, played floor hockey, hikes, skiing, biking, etc. Over the last decade I've struggled with exercise in a big way. During the pandemic I did not exercise whatsoever and gained 20 pounds. In the last six month, I managed to get the discipline to walk on my new treadmill for 15 to 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. Then I broke my big toe on the treadmill about 2 months ago and am finding it extremely hard to motivate myself to exercise again. My plan is to start next week, before that it was painful. My running days are well past.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned

What part of MD are you in?
    Columbia

Columbia
    You're in a perfect location for the club, then

(I'm in Frederick.)
    Regards,

Duncan

I am 61, just recently retired. I have been exercising /running /biking and more for years so my body hurts like most! And while I can say I'm in damn good shape for my age, and still work out 6 days a week + work(well, that ended 2 weeks ago!) and all the other stuff(biking/hiking/yoga + more, no more running though) I just could never attain my perfect fitness level/body shape...Well, that all changed since January 1st...I had my last alcoholic beverage NYE...What a game changer! I've lost weight , have more focus to work out etc.. (My favorite go to beers tended to be high ABV IPA's, Stouts and the like. And I could easily have 3 in a session..... I'm sure they could be anywhere from 300 -500 calories in 16 oz...) Sorry to any fellow beer snobs on this thread..