Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PE Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    I am 61, just recently retired. I have been exercising /running /biking and more for years so my body hurts like most! And while I can say I'm in damn good shape for my age, and still work out 6 days a week + work(well, that ended 2 weeks ago!) and all the other stuff(biking/hiking/yoga + more, no more running though) I just could never attain my perfect fitness level/body shape...Well, that all changed since January 1st...I had my last alcoholic beverage NYE...What a game changer! I've lost weight , have more focus to work out etc.. (My favorite go to beers tended to be high ABV IPA's, Stouts and the like. And I could easily have 3 in a session..... I'm sure they could be anywhere from 300 -500 calories in 16 oz...) Sorry to any fellow beer snobs on this thread..
    As I mentioned earlier, my weight gain in the past few years is probably mostly attributed to beer. Like you I like the hi calorie stuff. Not going to give it up though, love it too much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, my weight gain in the past few years is probably mostly attributed to beer. Like you I like the hi calorie stuff. Not going to give it up though, love it too much.
    Fortunately, after I retired I received a Maryland Cannabis card and that hasn’t stimulated my appetite like alcohol does. I like the red wine, IPAs and Scottish Ales, but am more concerned about alcohol usage from a health perspective and therefore my alcohol consumption is limited to moderate for a male. Therefore, my 6 miles of walking/hiking use up those calories.

You may have seen a review of studies that said any alcohol consumption isn’t good for health. However, they didn’t control for sugar consumption and alcohol lowers blood sugar and increases HDL (good) cholesterol. Red wine contains antioxidents which help prevent oxidation of cholesterol. With respect to sugar, and not all carbs are equivalent, especially when not consumed with fat and protein which slows the metabolism of them.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My biggest culprit is the single time I smoke hash each week. I'm like a teenager and eat to abandon. I'm going start exercising again, after a two month break. next week.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My biggest culprit is the single time I smoke hash each week. I'm like a teenager and eat to abandon. I'm going start exercising again, after a two month break. next week.
    Ever thought about trying a pure sativa? Hash is traditionally an Indica which is more energy zapping than Sativa. However very high THC levels negate the differences between Indica and Sativa. I also stopped smoking cannabis and only vape flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Fortunately, after I retired I received a Maryland Cannabis card and that hasn’t stimulated my appetite like alcohol does. I like the red wine, IPAs and Scottish Ales, but am more concerned about alcohol usage from a health perspective and therefore my alcohol consumption is limited to moderate for a male. Therefore, my 6 miles of walking/hiking use up those calories.

You may have seen a review of studies that said any alcohol consumption isn’t good for health. However, they didn’t control for sugar consumption and alcohol lowers blood sugar and increases HDL (good) cholesterol. Red wine contains antioxidents which help prevent oxidation of cholesterol. With respect to sugar, and not all carbs are equivalent, especially when not consumed with fat and protein which slows the metabolism of them.
    There is absolutely no doubt that alcohol is not good for you, and I agree with everything you say, but……..I just love beer. I live 10 minutes from one of the best breweries in the U.S. and beer culture is very prevalent in this part of the country. My wife and I are also very social people so tend to be out drinking beer a lot (she drinks Miller Lite, so not the same) with friends. I typically walk 4 to 5 miles a day which eats up some of the calories, but not all of them.

Regarding cannabis, pot is legal here in Michigan and I can drive 2 minutes away from my house and buy anything I want. I have always preferred an alcohol buzz to a pot buzz. In fact, I have had some bad experiences with pot over the years, so although I do smoke / ingest it on occasion, I much prefer alcohol.

Oh well, it is what it is at this point.

Banned
    If pot gives you anxiety, especially the high THC, keep a high CBD flower available as an antidote. CA has had medical pot since 96, or when Phil Collins left Genesis which left people with PTSD and the inspiration to legalize medical cannabis. JUST KIDDING CA has Mary’s tonic, a CBD based medicine which quells the anxiety caused by too much THC. The UK and EU have had prescription cannabinoids for decades and the key principle behind it is mental and physical benefits without the anxiety from pure THC medicine. A friends father was prescribed US Marinol (synthetic THC) and he wouldn’t use it because of anxiety. So the EU medicine is called Savitex in the UK, and it is 50/50 THC/CBD. CBD targets receptors in the brain and body, whereas THC targets receptors in the brain. CBD blocks the effects of THC, and Savitec provides a good balance. CBD has been shown to curb the appetite for alcohol, and many studies have shown that cannabinoids protect neurons and the brain, mostly because of the protective aspects of antioxidant properties. NIH received a patent in 98 for those protective properties.

One hears about kids injesting gummies with THC and having negative effects. However, why isn’t the solution for that condition, Epidolex a FDA approved CBD medicine. Geez it’s approved to treat childhood epilepsy.

Sativex combines equal quantities of THC and CBD from two cannabis extracts. This product, which is sprayed inside the cheek or under the tongue, has been approved to alleviate the symptoms associated with multiple sclerosis, including muscle spasms and neuropathic pain. Sativex has been approved in 25 countries outside of the United States, including Canada and the United Kingdom.
    Last edited by Firth; 04-08-2023 at 10:26 AM.

When it comes to pot or beer, I like a little of both. Very light pot buzz, and a Miller Lite beer buzz. I only do this on weekends. It's great for music listening and conversation.

Banned
    What I really want to do, is microdose magic mushrooms at my next concert John’s Hopkins here, pioneered the use of psychedelics in the last 60’s in the treatment of alcoholism. It’s now been verified as to why psychedelics are a longer term treatment for depression. Anti-depressants are temporary and damage neurons’ ability to connect to adjacent neurons, but psychedelics reconnect or enhance new connections.

Banned
    There is absolutely no doubt that alcohol is not good for you.
    I would say there is absolutely no doubt that alcohol can be bad for a person. However, if one is doing everything that is good for you, it’s not clear that adding moderate alcohol use is bad, it maybe good or not impactful. There is the medical mafia that feels safe by telling everyone to not do something that can be bad, even though that isn’t true for all. Many people will use family examples of how daily alcohol use didn’t hurt someone who lived to 97. I wouldn’t accept that as truth for me personally.

If I didn’t do that which could be bad for me, I would be dead.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Ever thought about trying a pure sativa? Hash is traditionally an Indica which is more energy zapping than Sativa. However very high THC levels negate the differences between Indica and Sativa. I also stopped smoking cannabis and only vape flower.
    I much prefer the taste of Hash. I cough but not always like when I smoke pot.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

If pot gives you anxiety, especially the high THC, keep a high CBD flower available as an antidote. CA has had medical pot since 96, or when Phil Collins left Genesis which left people with PTSD and the inspiration to legalize medical cannabis. JUST KIDDING CA has Mary’s tonic, a CBD based medicine which quells the anxiety caused by too much THC. The UK and EU have had prescription cannabinoids for decades and the key principle behind it is mental and physical benefits without the anxiety from pure THC medicine. A friends father was prescribed US Marinol (synthetic THC) and he wouldn’t use it because of anxiety. So the EU medicine is called Savitex in the UK, and it is 50/50 THC/CBD. CBD targets receptors in the brain and body, whereas THC targets receptors in the brain. CBD blocks the effects of THC, and Savitec provides a good balance. CBD has been shown to curb the appetite for alcohol, and many studies have shown that cannabinoids protect neurons and the brain, mostly because of the protective aspects of antioxidant properties. NIH received a patent in 98 for those protective properties.

One hears about kids injesting gummies with THC and having negative effects. However, why isn’t the solution for that condition, Epidolex a FDA approved CBD medicine. Geez it’s approved to treat childhood epilepsy.

Sativex combines equal quantities of THC and CBD from two cannabis extracts. This product, which is sprayed inside the cheek or under the tongue, has been approved to alleviate the symptoms associated with multiple sclerosis, including muscle spasms and neuropathic pain. Sativex has been approved in 25 countries outside of the United States, including Canada and the United Kingdom.
    I don't want to go into it here, but next time I see you at a music festival I will tell you about a couple of my negative experiences with pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    When it comes to pot or beer, I like a little of both. Very light pot buzz, and a Miller Lite beer buzz. I only do this on weekends. It's great for music listening and conversation.
    I used to be mostly a weekend drinker, but since I retired it has definitely escalated. As I said before, my wife and I are very very social people and don't stay home a lot. We are definitely out more during the week than when I was working.

Banned
    I don't want to go into it here, but next time I see you at a music festival I will tell you about a couple of my negative experiences with pot.
    As long as we can partake as you tell me

I used to be mostly a weekend drinker, but since I retired it has definitely escalated. As I said before, my wife and I are very very social people and don't stay home a lot. We are definitely out more during the week than when I was working.
    I'm obviously NOT a beer connoisseur..... That Lite crap I drink is low in calories but it gets me there, as long as I have a little green along with it.

Banned
    For me the only consideration is what the Greeks wrote over 2500 years ago, “everything in moderation.” That is my struggle as I find myself slipping to daily usage regarding puffable material. It's just so tempting to get that buzz before playing or listening to music. It is without doubt, for me, a muse and creative force.

Banned
    I drink about 1.35 oz of alcohol every day spread out over 6 hours. Since I started 5 years ago, my tolerance is increased and in social situations where I may drink more, I tolerate it much better.

Work keeps me in pretty decent shape, but I do like to exercise. Mostly to keep me able to continue working I'm deep in the woods hiking any chance I get. Not only is it good exercise, it does wonders for my sanity! Nothing better than being out there and taking nature in. Could go on all day about that.

As far as weed, I don't smoke anymore...just don't like inhaling it anymore, but am quite fond of edibles. Love my scotch and beer too. My liver is gonna jump out of my asshole in the near future probably, but fuck it...I'm happy
    Last edited by Klonk; 04-08-2023 at 08:24 PM.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Work keeps me in pretty decent shape, but I do like to exercise. Mostly to keep be able to continue working I'm deep in the woods hiking any chance I get. Not only is it good exercise, it does wonders for my sanity! Nothing better than being out there and taking nature in. Could go on all day about that.

As far as weed, I don't smoke anymore...just don't like inhaling it anymore, but am quite fond of edibles. Love my scotch and beer too. My liver is gonna jump out of my asshole in the near future probably, but fuck it...I'm happy
    Hiking and getting outside is great for health, even if it isn’t strenuous exercise. And here is the science behind it:

As long as we can partake as you tell me

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm obviously NOT a beer connoisseur..... That Lite crap I drink is low in calories but it gets me there, as long as I have a little green along with it.
    Bell's Brewery near me makes a light version of their Two Hearted Ale called "Light Hearted" that I drink a lot in the summer. It is less than 4% alcohol and only 110 calories which similar to Miller / Bud /Coors Lite, but with a lot more flavor. It is not as good as regular Two Hearted Ale, and tastes more like a pale ale than an IPA, but it has become my summer cooler beer.

Banned
    Maryland legislators legalized cannabis sales (non-medical) by licensed businesses. Intoxicating cannabis products (such as delta 8 sold in smoke shops now) will be illegal to sell, except by licensed businesses. July 1 effective.

One of the healthiest implementations I have seen. VA doesn’t have a non-medical alternative that meets health and safety requirements.

After several weeks of training, I competed in my first kayak race today.

Results

LDOM.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)

6 miles, at 6.3mph. https://www.strava.com/activities/8980033428

Now - it's time to get back on the bike. I'd like to get back into racing late this year or early next year.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 04-29-2023 at 06:30 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

^ Congrats, Duncan. I envy your discipline and determination.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    After several weeks of training, I competed in my first kayak race today.

Results

LDOM.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)

6 miles, at 6.3mph. https://www.strava.com/activities/8980033428

Now - it's time to get back on the bike. I'd like to get back into racing late this year or early next year.
    I could never kayak because sitting down like that would bother me with cramps. However, I would like to get a Hobie paddle board in which the feet power the paddles, and possibly an elliptical bike.