Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    The Omartian interview was a great watch and made me listen to the song Aja again with quite fresh ears. There is this one very odd piano figure (I believe it only appears once in the whole song) that I had never noticed but now I can't 'unhear' it anymore :-). And then there is the fact that a lot of times the piano is actually doubling the vocal melody.
    I did the same. Aja is not among my favorite SD albums. I listened to the song Aja for the first time in years. I didn't know (or forgot) Omar played piano on Rikki Don't Lose That Number.

I've really enjoyed watching this RB interview with Paul Gilbert over the last few days. Of course, Gilbert is almost always a great interviewee because he's so enthusiastic and positive while maintaining an attitude of self-deprecating humility, but someone as knowledgeable as Beato makes for a great interlocutor. In fact, this interview has given me loads of new things to add into my guitar practice regime. Well worth a watch:

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I saw a short of him interviewing Brad Mehldau so I'm assuming that'll be the next one.
    It's out and it's excellent.

David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Had no idea he did a cd of prog tunes reinterpreted through the jazz lens.

Tom Sawyer, Jacob's Ladder, Cogs In Cogs, Starship Trooper, among others...

Ordered!

Yeah, I was hoping he might mention Gentle Giant. The CD is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Had no idea he did a cd of prog tunes reinterpreted through the jazz lens.

Tom Sawyer, Jacob's Ladder, Cogs In Cogs, Starship Trooper, among others...

Ordered!
    There is a whole thread about it.
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-a-prog-album?

I think it's cool that this thread has grown and thrived far beyond what Skullhead intended.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Boom! It's up. Mohini is a force of nature. (Check out her jam with Marco Minnemann on Sweetwater's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMNu0NnUp0)

I watched the entire interview with Mohini and found it really interesting- she is pretty voluble but also has great stories to tell.

My favorite clip with her is the one she does with Federico Malaman:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

2 posts up!

Fabulous interview, she is amazing

All that slap and funk stuff is nice but when she started playing that beautiful chordal stuff my ears perked up.

"Both sides!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    "Both sides!!"
    That was hilarious!

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Saw that - very cool
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Interesting article.

I'm not sure if it's only AI that can be dangerous for music. Perhaps algorithmic driven playlists can be dangerous as well. I just read an interview with Kyle Chayka on this subject and he says some interesting things, about that those algorithms used hardly broadens ones horizons and taste. You get what you liked and if you don't like something, you just move on to the next song, without giving it a second chance, or time to let it develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Interesting article.

I'm not sure if it's only AI that can be dangerous for music. Perhaps algorithmic driven playlists can be dangerous as well. I just read an interview with Kyle Chayka on this subject and he says some interesting things, about that those algorithms used hardly broadens ones horizons and taste. You get what you liked and if you don't like something, you just move on to the next song, without giving it a second chance, or time to let it develop.
    Frankly I can't understand how commercial radio (at least in the US) works these days. The few times I've been exposed to it (usually in a store or other commercial establishment) they have never ID'd any song or artist. How do they expect to sell product that way? In the good old days of the 60s and 70s, AM Top 40 radio was full of DJ's identifying the song, the artist, sometimes the chart position, etc. This is independent of the perceived quality of the music.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Frankly I can't understand how commercial radio (at least in the US) works these days. The few times I've been exposed to it (usually in a store or other commercial establishment) they have never ID'd any song or artist. How do they expect to sell product that way? In the good old days of the 60s and 70s, AM Top 40 radio was full of DJ's identifying the song, the artist, sometimes the chart position, etc. This is independent of the perceived quality of the music.
    They're starting from the assumption that nobody's buying physical product anyway.

They don't want you to buy music, they want you to keep listening to them, for the advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They're starting from the assumption that nobody's buying physical product anyway.
    That doesn't make a difference: whether you buy a physical CD or download an MP3, you still have to know the name of the song and the artist.

I know we can look those up by listening to the audio stream with Google or SoundCloud etc. these days, but this practice started a long time before smartphones.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I think he covers a lot of good things - i really like whe he breaks down songs using the stems! Sometimes I think he can be a but drawn out hín his streams and such though... But I kinda like him

That doesn't make a difference: whether you buy a physical CD or download an MP3, you still have to know the name of the song and the artist.

I know we can look those up by listening to the audio stream with Google or SoundCloud etc. these days, but this practice started a long time before smartphones.
    Let me rephrase it then...They're starting from the assumption that nobody buys music anymore.

Commercial radio is not selling music, it is a platform that has 'commercial real estate' for sale i.e. space where commercials can be aired. The music is there to provide a pleasant aural backdrop, to be as inoffensive as possible so you keep listening, so their stations remains relevant to those who are buying their airtime slots at these stations.