Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

This video is a pretty cool answer to a question I always wondered about

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Density Cluster
    I was pretty excited about him for a while, and since he's in the Atlanta area, I actually considered reaching out to him for the possibility of private lessons. He's clearly incredibly knowledgeable, but at some point around a year or so (maybe more at this point?) ago, I really started to lose interest. A lot of his videos are very off the cuff and poorly edited, and I found myself wanting less and less to sit through them. I do appreciate that, even as a former academic, he's willing to give some pretty serious consideration to pop music, but I did get pretty bored of having the supposed greatness of songs I thoroughly dislike being explained to me in a series of snippets which often ultimately amount to him demonstrating that he can play the guitar parts. His knowledge and authority are pretty unquestionable, and it's not a surprise that he rose to some prominence, but it shocks me how he has so many more subscribers than people like Adam Neely and David Bruce considering that his videos seem to be made with about a quarter of the effort and care.

He comes off as a bit full of himself.

Rather watch SOAL Night or Sea of Tranquility on YT.

Haven't seen many of them but, Yay.
    It's entertaining and sometimes enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Guy is great.
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    He comes off as a bit full of himself.
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Rather watch SOAL Night or Sea of Tranquility on YT.
    Apples and oranges. They serve completely different purposes, no need to put one above the other.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don't think so.

Apples and oranges. They serve completely different purposes, no need to put one above the other.

One needs to be a tiny bit self-important to star in their own YouTube channel. But Rick seems pretty well-adjusted.
    <sig out of order>

He can't have much to say if he's already out of titles.
    "Everyone is complacent. The only time they ever speak up is to shame you for not being as complacent as them." - Adam Robillard, YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Jones the Jug View Post
    He can't have much to say if he's already out of titles.
    That's not quite what he said though, is it?

And as for Jory Corvid, I'm a bit suspicious seeing as his whole channel seems solely devoted to tearing down Rick Beato.

It's easy to have "something to say" if your only purpose is the criticize other's videos.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's easy to have "something to say" if your only purpose is the criticize other's videos.
    Yeah, whatever you think of Beato's videos, that's just kind of weird. Or obsessive. Did he steal his girlfriend or something?

Jory Corvid... seems solely devoted to tearing down Rick Beato.
    He's tearing him a new one, that's for sure.
    "Everyone is complacent. The only time they ever speak up is to shame you for not being as complacent as them." - Adam Robillard, YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Yeah, whatever you think of Beato's videos, that's just kind of weird. Or obsessive. Did he steal his girlfriend or something?
    Yes, weird to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones the Jug View Post
    He's tearing him a new one, that's for sure.
    Not really. It's kind of pathetic, IMO. He even takes swipes at the people who watch Beato's videos, calling them his "ghoulish audience".

Yes, weird to say the least.

Not really. It's kind of pathetic, IMO. He even takes swipes at the people who watch Beato's videos, calling them his "ghoulish audience".
    If there's one thing I learned on Progressive Ears, it's that Rick Beato knows who Skullhead is.

#saynotolaptops

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    If there's one thing I learned on Progressive Ears, it's that Rick Beato knows who Skullhead is.

#saynotolaptops

He [Corvid] even takes swipes at the people who watch Beato's videos, calling them his "ghoulish audience".
    Ouch, that's really gotta' hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post

#saynotolaptops
    LOL!
    <sig out of order>

Just my little old opinion: for the most part I enjoy Rick Beato's videos quite a bit. They are incredibly informative. Lots of juicy details that are great to learn about. His "what makes this song great" vids are very nice and his skills as a player are amazing.

My complaint, and it is not a big deal just somewhat annoying, is that he sometimes seems distracted by others in the room off camera or by activity on his computer and he begins to ramble. In those instances he seems in need of a script to follow - it doesn't make good video. As a long time struggling guitar player I find that his instructional videos can be great but they too sometimes suffer from this rambling quality.

But boy is it cool to watch him play. And his stories about his younger days when he was getting started in the business are inspirational even though they are experiences that I can never have. Overall I am very glad to watch his videos. He is one of the great people on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post

My complaint, and it is not a big deal just somewhat annoying, is that he sometimes seems distracted by others in the room off camera or by activity on his computer and he begins to ramble. In those instances he seems in need of a script to follow - it doesn't make good video. As a long time struggling guitar player I find that his instructional videos can be great but they too sometimes suffer from this rambling quality.
    I think this is because he does a couple of different types of videos. Some are obviously planned out ahead of time to inform on a certain subject. Others may have a loose theme, but are live chats where he is rambling and reading comments and responding to some of them. Maybe that's what you're noticing?
    <sig out of order>

He had a good amount of success as a player, producer, and teacher before he ever imagined having a YT channel. A certain amount of self-confidence would necessarily go along with that territory, and perhaps even a touch of arrogance. But, he has clearly experienced the right place/right time phenomenon with his channel, and the content obviously speaks to many people ranging from beginners to seasoned professionals. His recent video about the passing of his aunt, and recognition of her influence on him was genuinely touching, especially the clips from his previous video featuring her. I get the sense that he's honestly humbled by it all.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    He had a good amount of success as a player, producer, and teacher before he ever imagined having a YT channel. A certain amount of self-confidence would necessarily go along with that territory, and perhaps even a touch of arrogance. But, he has clearly experienced the right place/right time phenomenon with his channel, and the content obviously speaks to many people ranging from beginners to seasoned professionals. His recent video about the passing of his aunt, and recognition of her influence on him was genuinely touching, especially the clips from his previous video featuring her. I get the sense that he's honestly humbled by it all.
    Agreed. He's confident in his knowledge and abilities (as he should be), but he still seems a little bewildered by the YT success.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Big Fan.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I think this is because he does a couple of different types of videos. Some are obviously planned out ahead of time to inform on a certain subject. Others may have a loose theme, but are live chats where he is rambling and reading comments and responding to some of them. Maybe that's what you're noticing?
    Yes, Plasmatopia, I think you are probably right. Because many of his videos do NOT have that rambling thing happening. Not to mention that it probably isn't easy to crank out as many videos as he does. Again - even though it can bother me it is nothing compared to how great it is to have his videos to learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Yes, Plasmatopia, I think you are probably right. Because many of his videos do NOT have that rambling thing happening. Not to mention that it probably isn't easy to crank out as many videos as he does. Again - even though it can bother me it is nothing compared to how great it is to have his videos to learn from.
    Personally if I had my own YT channel I'd run out of ideas for videos after about 3 videos, lol. I have to admire his body of work!
    <sig out of order>

Yay on Rick Beato - love how his professional experience is in styles of music I don't appreciate, BUT he certainly shows he knows his classical, jazz AND prog!

Whey the hate for Rick? Well - I have a theory. Let me apologize in advance. I don't want to say "it's not my intention to insult", because I know some people might feel insulted and I am posting anyway, but is just what I think of the matter - YMMV, feel free to disagree...

I have observed that whenever someone behaves in a self assured manner regarding their knowledge it will immediately offend the multitude of Dunning-Krueger victims that populate the internet. Any Classical fans? I see the same controversy with the critic David Hurwitz. He behaves like he knows it all, and IMHO he certainly is knowledgeable enough to teach most people a thing or two... reaction? The Dunning-Kruger victims out there in the Classical Music boards hate him... I think Beato provokes the same reaction.

But what do I know - I have impostor syndrome...

v
    Last edited by vmartell; 12-28-2020 at 06:36 AM.