Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Once The Beatles were considered a disgrace for music.
    Because back then people didn't know such shitty music as today's trap/pop would even be possible to be created. ;D But it's not that all of today's music is shit. It's the volume of the shit outweighing the great stuff.

And I'm not talking "great" as "retro". If you take the effort and time to dig in and be open, you'll find tons of contemporary music that's actually masterfully done.

This rap track is frikking bonkers! A combination of boom bap rap, some tribal music, dramatic film bgm and electronica.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Well, many services have added cheaper versions of their programming that have some commercials, but for a few dollars more, services such as Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, Disney+ do not have ads.

At this stage, companies have gone so far overboard with shoving commercials and ads down people's throats that I can't really tolerate any, anymore, really.
    This is why I do not stream and still buy both CDs and DVDs (and LPs). This way, no ads, I own them outright, and can listen to what I want when I want. My kids laugh at me, but this is all mine and no risk of having some streaming group cut off my access without notice.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Music is just fine. There is a lot of shitty pop music and a lot more of it and the masses value it a lot less overall, but music quality, and vast amounts of it, is as good as ever...says I. It's simple math really. There is WAAYYYYYYYY more music than ever, so of course there is way more simplistic, or crappy music then ever. But there is also a lot more really good music too.

Neil

Today I read that popmusic has gotten less complex since the 50s. Two years were mentioned 1975 and 2000. But while melodies and harmonies got less complex, sounds got more varied.

As long as there is music made that I like, I couldn't care less if there is bad music made. In the end for each Beatles, or Queen, we have the Mud's, Bay City Rollers and other throw-away stuff.

^^^

Grethe & Jørgen Ingmann - Dansevise - Eurovision 1963 - Denmark - Winner

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Seems quite reasonable. Same essential message, milder delivery.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Music is just fine. There is a lot of shitty pop music and a lot more of it and the masses value it a lot less overall, but music quality, and vast amounts of it, is as good as ever...says I. It's simple math really. There is WAAYYYYYYYY more music than ever, so of course there is way more simplistic, or crappy music then ever. But there is also a lot more really good music too.

Neil
    Totally agree. Yes, there is a lot of crap out there, but there is still so much good new music being made that I find it hard to keep up with it all.

Forgive me, but I actually do use TikTok. But yea, there are a lot of young guys on TikTok who review entire band catalogs buy simply binge listening to them from first to last album. Like one guy who looks 27ish, reviewed Pink Floyd's entire catalog by spending the weekend listening to them. And he didn't physically own any of them.

I also saw another one with two guys who decided to review the entire Supertramp catalog. So, they get to album #2 Indelibly Stamped, and one guy says, "So, this album is not good, easily their worst album. They really seem lost and there is no resemblance to the Supertramp sound that made them so popular." Fair enough, but then he goes on... "I really had a hard time even getting through this one, its just so bad. In fact, as an example, I could not find this album on Spotify, or any other streaming platform. So, I had to listen to it on Youtube because it was the only place I could find it, that tells you just how bad this albums is!"

Kids today....

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Because back then people didn't know such shitty music as today's trap/pop would even be possible to be created. ;D But it's not that all of today's music is shit. It's the volume of the shit outweighing the great stuff.

And I'm not talking "great" as "retro". If you take the effort and time to dig in and be open, you'll find tons of contemporary music that's actually masterfully done.

This rap track is frikking bonkers! A combination of boom bap rap, some tribal music, dramatic film bgm and electronica.
    My new discovery for the day: I like rap music a lot better when I don't understand what they're saying.

Perhaps Magma prepped me for this...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Is music really getting worse, or is this just a generational thing?
    Once The Beatles were considered a disgrace for music.
    Anecdotally... when the Beatles first came on Ed Sullivan -- and I have to insert here that Ed Sullivan was a family ritual with us, we all gathered for it -- my grandmother and I both really dug them. (I was goin'-on-six at the time.) My parents were puzzled by them. My grandfather hated them at first sight, but he was never really into anything but military music, which, as you know, is to music as military justice is to justice and military intelligence is to intelligence. My brother and sister were too young to care...

Aaaaaaanyway, I think that if you watch Beato's videos, he makes a very solid case for his point. It isn't that there isn't any good music out there. There's as much as there ever was. But there is soooo much more crappy music that it's hard to find the good stuff.

Harlan Ellison told a story about how success in Hollywood was like climbing a vast mountain of dung to get to a beautiful rose (or pick your favorite flower) at the top. By the time you got there, your nose was too strung-out by the shit-smell that you couldn't possibly smell the rose.

Searching for the "good music" today is kind of like that. Some of it accidentally becomes popular -- I rather like Taylor Swift, and quite like Gaga, to pick two -- but most of the popular stuff is like '60s American television: aimed at the lowest common denominator.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Wow - I had no idea Genesis had undergone such a radical change in style. Will this "Nullizmatyk" track appear on their next album?
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I hate rap and hip hop with the heat of a thousand suns.