Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

I realize this is all getting off-topic, but I'll just add:

Popoff is definitely the exception for me, as he is a well-spoken authority on much of this stuff. He also has a professionalism about his manner, knowing when to talk and when to sit back and let others talk. He can go in-depth and he can have a more casual sense of humour about things. Life is too short to waste any of my precious time on any of the others, particularly the endless top 10s or 'Bands whose second album featured black and white artwork'-type themes. Like golf for me, these things may be fun to participate in, but not to sit back and watch.

Maybe this is getting more into the 'Geezer' thread territory, but I find so much of this modern YT landscape baffling. Endless begging for clicks, subscribers heaping praise, accolades, and even congratulations on these guys (for talking into a webcam), and some of them even shamelessly asking for things to be bought for them so they can review them. Are you kidding me? The whole point of reviews is to see if I want to buy these things in the first place. Why on earth would I buy one and send it to you instead? And then what, buy a second one for myself if you like it? The whole thing is bizarre to me, and I'm beginning to feel very out of touch with it all... and I'm speaking as someone who actually does reviews and interviews, and has done for years. But mine are the old-fashioned written word pieces, where the substance is what matters, not the style - and I certainly don't require any praise or congratulations, nor do I carpet-bomb the internet with the links to them every chance I get.

Seems that was a bit of a rant.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Popoff has a brand new book on Genesis - Entangled: Genesis 1969-1976. Just go the his website and order.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I realize this is all getting off-topic, but I'll just add:

Popoff is definitely the exception for me, as he is a well-spoken authority on much of this stuff. He also has a professionalism about his manner, knowing when to talk and when to sit back and let others talk. He can go in-depth and he can have a more casual sense of humour about things. Life is too short to waste any of my precious time on any of the others, particularly the endless top 10s or 'Bands whose second album featured black and white artwork'-type themes. Like golf for me, these things may be fun to participate in, but not to sit back and watch.

Maybe this is getting more into the 'Geezer' thread territory, but I find so much of this modern YT landscape baffling. Endless begging for clicks, subscribers heaping praise, accolades, and even congratulations on these guys (for talking into a webcam), and some of them even shamelessly asking for things to be bought for them so they can review them. Are you kidding me? The whole point of reviews is to see if I want to buy these things in the first place. Why on earth would I buy one and send it to you instead? And then what, buy a second one for myself if you like it? The whole thing is bizarre to me, and I'm beginning to feel very out of touch with it all... and I'm speaking as someone who actually does reviews and interviews, and has done for years. But mine are the old-fashioned written word pieces, where the substance is what matters, not the style - and I certainly don't require any praise or congratulations, nor do I carpet-bomb the internet with the links to them every chance I get.

YouTube channels, especially music ones, can be a mixed bag, but do like Sea Of Tranquility and Rick Beato. Sean Tonar puts out some good stuff. To a lesser extent I sometimes watch The Prog Report, Rock History Music, Metal & Rock Zone, Classic Album Review, Justin Hawkins Rides Again, VRP Rocks. These sites are more inconsistent, but sometimes have good interviews and stories.

YouTubers on music I like:
    David Bennett
    Hainbach
    Jeffrey Petro
    Tim Shoebridge
    YouTubers that get on my nerves:
    Dr. Mix
    Bad Gear

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Pardo has published Sea Of Tranquility for years and IMO is totally qualified to have a YouTube opinion channel.
    You need two things to be qualified to have a YouTube opinion channel - an internet connection and an opinion.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Preach it. I'll go a few steps further.

I have no use for reviews or reviewers - and haven't for...oh 20 years? If it's something I haven't heard, I can find samples, listen on YT/BC/Spotify whatever. The access to the actual music is everywhere. So why do I need someone to tell me when I can hear for myself? Validation? Give me a break. Places like PE are all I need and that's more to learn about what's out there. And I'm only interested in hearing from people with no skin in the game.

Additionally, most daily/weekly content creators have the primary objective of monetizing their content. Even most of those who originally come from a good place will eventually produce content primarily to keep that money train going. You have to be persistent (and consistent) with producing content first and foremost, but then you have to start creating content that you know gets the clicks if you want to the eyeballs on your videos. This is why you see leeches who make response/reaction videos to Beato or espouse their opinion on a current event. It's the best way to draw attention to their channel.

I don't know much about him, but guys like Pete, for all his persistence, is still pretty small scale. He has 54 million views lifetime and 100K subscribers (which I mean as more of a reflection on his audience/market and the proliferation of content, and not a mark against Pete himself). Since he consistently puts out content, YT should like him and he's likely making some decent supplemental income - especially considering that older videos get views as well. Someone like Beato has 1 billion views and over 4 million subscribers. So keep that in mind when you're watching a Beato video that this is like a job, and the most important reason he is putting out a video is because he has to if he wants to keep the money coming - not because he has something important to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    So keep that in mind when you're watching a Beato video that this is his job.
    Fixed it for you
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I agree with most of what's said, though I do like those Steven Wilson prog/etc. podcast. Even though I might have some of the albums talked about they make me want to go back and listen to some of them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    YouTubers on music I like:
    David Bennett
    Hainbach
    Jeffrey Petro
    Tim Shoebridge
    YouTubers that get on my nerves:
    Dr. Mix
    Bad Gear
    And where do you put R.B in this list ?

I like him but he also "get on my nerves" too often.

I have no use for reviews or reviewers - and haven't for...oh 20 years? If it's something I haven't heard, I can find samples, listen on YT/BC/Spotify whatever. The access to the actual music is everywhere. So why do I need someone to tell me when I can hear for myself? Validation? Give me a break. Places like PE are all I need and that's more to learn about what's out there. And I'm only interested in hearing from people with no skin in the game.
    Don't forget there are a lot of reviewers on PE (like me), so you get that information through them too. I don't have anything to win by writing about music I like, I only want to inform people what's out there.

I've got a limited attention span/well of patience. So the whole vlogging on YT thing gets under my skin. Beato's earlier stuff was interesting yet as his videos got longer and longer (just like everyone else's on YT) I lost any interest in it. I get why they do it. I just don't care. And people reviewing music on YT? Fucking forget it. I have zero patience for your opinions inflated over 20 minutes. I watch a lot of guitar videos, mostly instructional stuff and some instrument reviews. Many of these do get right to the point. The ones that just infuriate me are those that the lesson is just a lead-in to a course I don't have the time for or want to waste the cash on. Tell me how to play the riff/song and I'll subscribe. Play bait n' switch, I'll never watch your precious channel again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I mainly watch the Pete and Martin Friday at The Funhouse. I think they're running out of ideas but I like both blokes.

Beato has done a lot of great interviews. He hasn't quite gotten to the Eddie Trunk type of cockiness, but he's close. But his interviews with well known musicians are really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    And where do you put R.B in this list ?

I like him but he also "get on my nerves" too often.
    I'm thinking more or less the same. Haven't watched his interviews because they are a bit to long for my taste. I don't mind long interviews to read, but listening and in English is a bit to much.

Pardo has published Sea Of Tranquility for years and IMO is totally qualified to have a YouTube opinion channel. I don’t like everything he puts out, but find most of his stuff enjoyable, and he knows what he is talking about.

Popoff has written more than a “few” books. He has published more than 40 books on music. I have read quite a few of them and they are always professionally researched and I find them enjoyable.
    my bad, I know Pardo writes on SoT, and that many here love the site.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him, and watched a few of his ranking videos and found his opinions relatively uninteresting (probably because I don't agree), but they seem too shallow or insufficiently prepared: when he mentions tracks on a specific album, looking at the CD's track list picking out the lesser ones, instead of knowing by heart the classic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Agreed (again) Steve.
    Especially with Popoff - don't understand that negativity....
    didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feather the wrong way.
    I've pulled out the only book he wrote that I own (Collector's Guide to HM: the 70's pub in 2003), and it's not as bad as I remembered it: it's weirdly thourough (he even includes Never mind The Bollocks - and gives it 10/10), mentions only one Birtha album, and forgets Fanny altogether.
    But his double scale rating (heavyness & excellence) is weird.

Where I went wrong is that I confused him with his buddy Denis Protat and his 2004 book encyclopedia of 70's hard rock, and that is much more disputable, and too opiniated. And his french is relatively average.

You've touched the nerve that was itching me.
    Those YT or TikTok influencers are really ruining today's society.
    Some of these guys are trying to make money out of it (apparently some succeed, by becoming the whore of their sponsors).
    Hopefully Putin will invade and put an end to this decadence.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Popoff has a brand new book on Genesis - Entangled: Genesis 1969-1976. Just go the his website and order.
    OK, you're into reading Popoff, I get it (I've rectified my position above), but yet another book on Genesis?? It must the 65788426872th one out there. I mean I'd be mildly curious ti know what he thinks of the band I'll survive without knowing, though), but what is he going to being out that's new about The Gabe & co. BTW, 76 is a weird date to stop, IMHO. I'd have done until 77 or even 78 (the PDT Hackett release).

You need two things to be qualified to have a YouTube opinion channel - an internet connection and an opinion.
    that's mainly what I meant... and since opinions are like arse...les (every body's got one),
    I used to spread mine on PA and copy/paste them on RYM (some anyways, I also created a few specifically) or JMA.
    I've +/- stopped because my own style of review and opinions would need changes and I would have to rewrite most of them.
    I know some of my reviews helped a fair bit of people finding new music, so I'm happy with that.
    But I stopped in late 14, after the theft of my laptop, but I was tired of reviewing for the sake of reviewing, anyways.

However, I'm still hunted down by artistes wo want to send me their stuff for a review, and TBH, I dislike that.
    I only reviewed stuff I felt like, not because I was asked.

BTW, I still read some reviews in my own rewsearches or even for the enjoyment of a well-written one (Chicapah, for ex), but mine are not reflecting most of my current state of mind (and I'm sometimes embarrassed of my own old babblings & stammerings, filled my typos and grammatical mistakes).

YouTube channels, especially music ones, can be a mixed bag, but do like Sea Of Tranquility and Rick Beato. Sean Tonar puts out some good stuff. To a lesser extent I sometimes watch The Prog Report, Rock History Music, Metal & Rock Zone, Classic Album Review, Justin Hawkins Rides Again, VRP Rocks. These sites are more inconsistent, but sometimes have good interviews and stories.
    Beato is one of the worst "best evidence/exhibit A", IMHO. Only became aware of him in the last two years and I wish I still didn't know who he is.
    On a more serious note, I just haven't got time for these things, anymore (not that I ever had).

Preach it. I'll go a few steps further.

Additionally, most daily/weekly content creators have the primary objective of monetizing their content. Even most of those who originally come from a good place will eventually produce content primarily to keep that money train going. You have to be persistent (and consistent) with producing content first and foremost, but then you have to start creating content that you know gets the clicks if you want to the eyeballs on your videos. This is why you see leeches who make response/reaction videos to Beato or espouse their opinion on a current event. It's the best way to draw attention to their channel.

I don't know much about him, but guys like Pete, for all his persistence, is still pretty small scale. He has 54 million views lifetime and 100K subscribers (which I mean as more of a reflection on his audience/market and the proliferation of content, and not a mark against Pete himself). Since he consistently puts out content, YT should like him and he's likely making some decent supplemental income - especially considering that older videos get views as well. Someone like Beato has 1 billion views and over 4 million subscribers. So keep that in mind when you're watching a Beato video that this is like a job, and the most important reason he is putting out a video is because he has to if he wants to keep the money coming - not because he has something important to say.
    I'm voting Cozy in early November (the 5th, I think)
    What an itch-soothing post that was.

The only thing I'd add that he didn't, is that I still use heavily (until it's in the workshop for repair) G2K for more ancient stuff., but it's not helpful for the new/latest crops
    Last edited by Trane; 6 Hours Ago at 04:30 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Don't forget there are a lot of reviewers on PE (like me), so you get that information through them too. I don't have anything to win by writing about music I like, I only want to inform people what's out there.
    I can’t remember the last time I read a review on PE either fwiw. Usually my interest is on the new releases thread, best of 2024 lists, etc. If someone with like-minded tastes posts about a new album, I’m more likely to check out samples. Simple as that. And I have shared my opinion on music over the 25+ years I have been on music boards as well and did my best to expose others to lesser known music (I just don’t have an interest in doing that much anymore). I respect that you write about the music you like and my comments were definitely not directed towards you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    that's mainly what I meant... and since opinions are like arse...les (every body's got one),
    I used to spread mine on PA and copy/paste them on RYM (some anyways, I also created a few specifically) or JMA.
    I've +/- stopped because my own style of review and opinions would need changes and I would have to rewrite most of them.
    I know some of my reviews helped a fair bit of people finding new music, so I'm happy with that.
    But I stopped in late 14, after the theft of my laptop, but I was tired of reviewing for the sake of reviewing, anyways.

However, I'm still hunted down by artistes wo want to send me their stuff for a review, and TBH, I dislike that.
    I only reviewed stuff I felt like, not because I was asked.

BTW, I still read some reviews in my own rewsearches or even for the enjoyment of a well-written one (Chicapah, for ex), but mine are not reflecting most of my current state of mind (and I'm sometimes embarrassed of my own old babblings & stammerings, filled my typos and grammatical mistakes).
    You covered it well here. I was never into writing reviews. I feel music more than I think about it, and even though I have been told I am a good writer, in the case of music, words can never do justice to explain how I feel about it. So I don’t really try. When I did write reviews (waaay back when), I always felt I was embellishing or working hard to conform to some convention.

I got more fulfillment when I did the radio show on Aural Moon for a few years. But even that felt empty after a while. And outside of the show’s premise (to explore the gray areas and break down rigid genre barriers), I offered information, but let the music speak for itself. There’s no need for me to offer an opinion since my curation of the music was its own endorsement of sorts, if you catch my drift.

Usually with your reviews on PA, I would just look at your rating more than your comments. Back then it was helpful just to read someone who had heard some lesser known work and had something to say. So thank you for that.

FYI I moved some posts from another thread here where it might be more appropriate. Apologies if the last page here seems a little chaotic.

And the ability to stretch out something that should be five minutes long to 35 minutes.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    And the ability to stretch out something that should be five minutes long to 35 minutes.
    That sounds very proggy!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    That sounds very proggy!
    But I want intro, theme, variation of that theme, second theme, variations on that one, a bridge, back to the first theme, coda.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I have mixed feelings about Rick Beato. His expertise seems obvious but too often his videos are too long. I've watched one of his videos to the end maybe a handful of times; not that I've seen a lot. And sometimes he seems a little unprepared and is just winging it. But review videos aren't my thing, anyway.

There's a guy whose YT channel is called Wings of Pegasus. Anyone seen it? I have no idea what his background is but he seems to know what he's talking about in the few videos of his I've watched, to my lay ears, anyway.

But the main reason I'm posting is because of this video and wanted to know what you guys think. I thought it was pretty interesting but, again, I'm no expert on what he's talking about. Is he full of it, mistaken in this example, or spot on?

“The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

I can’t remember the last time I read a review on PE either fwiw. Usually my interest is on the new releases thread, best of 2024 lists, etc. If someone with like-minded tastes posts about a new album, I’m more likely to check out samples. Simple as that.
    Yes, that about covers it for me too. In the modern age, sampling something is all that I need. If somebody says it's in a genre that I like, I'll probably go check it out, and might feel more strongly inclined to if somebody says it's great, but I'm not interested in any form of lengthy review, at all, when I can decide for myself. Cripes, I've been ignoring film reviews for decades now. They are mostly useless. I've liked tons of movies that 'expert' critics have said are worthless, and vice versa.

I've written a couple of meaty album reviews myself (and have also been told that I'm a good writer) but other than the band, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone else has ever read them, lol.

Neil
    "Just know that even if we listen to the same bands, I listen to them BETTER than you" - Gene Meyer

Ah, we are reviewing the reviewers now. How interesting.

Well, I like reviews and have written CD- and bookreviews in the past. Sometimes reviews serve as a way to bring something to my attention, so I can look for it on YouTube and other times I read reviews when I have the album, or am reading the book, to see what someone else thinks and if I agree with it.