Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Ah, we are reviewing the reviewers now. How interesting.
    They don't get immunity.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Who is reviews the reviewers reviewing the reviewers?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Who is reviews the reviewers reviewing the reviewers?
    Sounds like a great idea for a YouTube channel.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Sounds like a great idea for a YouTube channel.
    Dibs on the reaction vid
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Dibs on the reaction vid
    really not a fan of those first reaction videos either (Pressdoug and Zaragon, though the latter is more about analysing after many listens)

let alone those young rapers "discovering" Gentle Giant and commenting.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Rapers?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Rapers?
    P. Diddy
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I just poked my head in here to see why this thread has so many pages. Wow. I have watched a couple of Rick Beato things in the past, and finally concluded that he was missing two Fs in his last name. Eddie Trunk l decided was mostly a poser way back when That Metal Show was on. 75% of the time if Jim or Don mentioned a track by somebody he would say, "l dunno, l only have their greatest hits CD.", obviously never had any vinyl. I know more about metal than he does.
    I originally stumbled onto the SoT guy because he reviewed a disc l released but that was it. Seems like a knowledgeable guy and all, but l'm in the Duncan camp, where none of this shit is necessary in any meaningful way. If l stumble across a band l have never heard l can find a sample, song, or entire album to check it out for myself, why go on YT to see what some clown thinks of it? In fact l just did this about an hour ago with a band on Shroom l never heard of called Chameleon...5 seconds on Google turned up several songs and a Spotify listing. Done and dusted.
    As for reaction videos by guys like the Daily Doug and so on...l just don't get it. It was funny to watch him torch a bowl and play, like, Hocus Pocus for the "first" time, but man, doesn't that shit get old for people really fast? And there must be 50 clips of Black dudes grooving out on "Holdin' On To Yesterday".
    God love them if they are turning 20 year old kids on to Ambrosia, but l have serious doubts that is who is watching. I will cop to watching a bunch of 1st graders hearing and seeing The Beatles for the first time--as far as reaction videos go that is fine. Seeing a 6 year old girl in 2020 talking about how cute George Harrison is, is kind of nice, there is a purity to that which is ok with me (aside from the monetization of it by adults, of course).

So that's it from me, all caught up on the thread ☺
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    But the main reason I'm posting is because of this video and wanted to know what you guys think. I thought it was pretty interesting but, again, I'm no expert on what he's talking about. Is he full of it, mistaken in this example, or spot on?

Didn't watch it, because I have no interest in most of this type of video. (I haven't even watched all of the Rael docs, and I think they're brilliant.) But I think this one you posted is from a Brit guitarist, who favors Metal, but has dabbled in a Prog review or 2. One of them was posted and discussed on PE, but no way I can remember the thread or time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Didn't watch it...
    Well I wish someone would. He's comparing Kelly Clarkson to Judy Garland and talks about how Clarkson's vocal is pitch corrected.

But I think this one you posted is from a Brit guitarist, who favors Metal, but has dabbled in a Prog review or 2.
    Yeah, I got that, which is why I've never seen any of his vids on metal. It's not a genre I like.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Rick just had an hour-ling conversation with bass phenom Charles Bethoud, which was very informative to listen to. When he talks with other musicians, he asks rather insightful questions.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Rick just had an hour-ling conversation with bass phenom Charles Bethoud, which was very informative to listen to. When he talks with other musicians, he asks rather insightful questions.
    Berthoud (pronounced "bear-tude"), in turn, just analyzed a bass solo by another young phenom, Vincen (no "t") García.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-H9oOowm4

Didn't watch it, because I have no interest in most of this type of video. (I haven't even watched all of the Rael docs, and I think they're brilliant.) But I think this one you posted is from a Brit guitarist, who favors Metal, but has dabbled in a Prog review or 2. One of them was posted and discussed on PE, but no way I can remember the thread or time frame.
    I find some of this guy's videos to be quite good. I don't like everything he does, but he is one of the better ones.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Just because someone expresses an opinion doesn't mean it's negative. That's why Beato and many other YouTubers say "leave a comment". They want feedback on their content.
    I agree. PE's a message board, not fan site, nobody's whining. I'm sure I'll never be a blip on the music scene's radar, and I don't have a modicum of musical talent, so that's why I post on music forums; if I had musical talent I'd like to think I'd have better things to do, like creating musical content. Or, I could create a YT channel and make commentary on those who have been, or are currently, involved in creating music. BTW, I could so with little to no musical acumen and I'd still have contributed as much new music as most musicians.

I do appreciate a lot of Beato's music breakdowns and interviews, but he's got a lot that, "I should be bigger" energy which I think makes some people (including myself) roll our eyes. And where better to roll our eyes at an internet entity than PE? I still look at Beato videos from time to time but have learned to skip thru many of them. He's entertaining at times, but not special, at least not in my opinion.

I have a feeling that the trend of these numerous channels all scrambling for more ad dollars and more views might peak and burst so, as do all such things. I've seen a few YT folks complaining it's all saturated and viewers are complaining about the long vids.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I find some of this guy's videos to be quite good. I don't like everything he does, but he is one of the better ones.
    Fil Henley is indeed a Brit, and he does love metal and hard rock from both sides of the pond (especially '80s). But he's covered a lot of stuff, including vlogs where he straight-up gushes over the guitar talent of guys like Chet Atkins, Leo Kottke and Jerry Reed! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kvLYLoAKA)