Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup

Any word on Kosovare Asllani? That was not a flop.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Like the whole tournament so far; the Netherlands play bad but go through anyway. With this kind of luck on your side you can even beat the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Any word on Kosovare Asllani? That was not a flop.
    She looked seriously injured although the duel itself did not look that bad. I think she was groggy from the ball against her head and then injured herself in the landing. Her knee seemed to make a strange twist.

^^

She was checked in a Hospital and no indications for a severe injury where found..

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    What about Naeher's dive when Ellen White was running by her?
    That's the price of the women's game becoming more professional. USA players dived, England players dived...they all dive. Don't buy into the narrative that the women are some sort of higher species that uphold the Corinthian spirit...they're better than the guys sure, but give them time.

Mouthing off to the ref, diving, claiming throw-ins and corners that you KNOW aren't yours, trying to put off penalty kick takers...the women have taken all of the worst parts of the men's game and run with them, including stupid "walk one pace forward and pout" video clips for the line-ups, illegible eighties video-game graphics for the backs of the shirts, nasty tattoos, showboating goal celebrations...they've got it all going on!

So she was "drinking a spot of tea?" I thought she was smoking tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That's what I thought at first.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    That's the price of the women's game becoming more professional. USA players dived, England players dived...they all dive. Don't buy into the narrative that the women are some sort of higher species that uphold the Corinthian spirit...they're better than the guys sure, but give them time.

Mouthing off to the ref, diving, claiming throw-ins and corners that you KNOW aren't yours, trying to put off penalty kick takers...the women have taken all of the worst parts of the men's game and run with them, including stupid "walk one pace forward and pout" video clips for the line-ups, illegible eighties video-game graphics for the backs of the shirts, nasty tattoos, showboating goal celebrations...they've got it all going on!
    Totally agree with this statement...I used to love watching women's football because it gave a taste of what sport was all about. Now it's the same as men only they are better to look at if you are a straight male...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Like the whole tournament so far; the Netherlands play bad but go through anyway. With this kind of luck on your side you can even beat the USA.
    Agree...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    She looked seriously injured although the duel itself did not look that bad. I think she was groggy from the ball against her head and then injured herself in the landing. Her knee seemed to make a strange twist.
    She complained to the medic that she had a pain from neck down in the arm, which could indicate a potential neck injury - that's why the decided to stabilize her. But fortunately the MRI scan showed no injury. Still in pain though - the doctors are not sure about her playing Saturday.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    She complained to the medic that she had a pain from neck down in the arm, which could indicate a potential neck injury - that's why the decided to stabilize her. But fortunately the MRI scan showed no injury. Still in pain though - the doctors are not sure about her playing Saturday.
    Thanks. There was not much info to be found ( around here ) until recently.
    Terrible way to end the match.
    I hope she will be back in action soon. One of the better players in the tournament.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post

I think Brazil was the first team I saw that started doing shit like that. And that was 2 World Cups ago, I think. Colombia was another. I remember Lady Andrade punching Abby Wambach in the eye during the '12 Olympics.

I brought this up because my brother, who's never watched a soccer game in his life until this WC, thought England was playing dirty. I told him England's the least penalized team in the WC and that anything he saw England do was mostly in retaliation for the shit the Americans were doing, like Lindsey Horan hitting Jill Scott in the eye and elbowing Lucy Bronze in the mouth.

I also thought Alex Morgan's mime of drinking tea after her goal was classless.

Yeah, the women's game is losing class and it bothers me the US are one of the biggest perpetrators.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Yeah, the women's game is losing class and it bothers me the US are one of the biggest perpetrators.
    When the leader of your country has no class, it just trickles down to the people. Maybe that's what Reagan meant by the trickle down effect.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Organic ftw.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Thanks. There was not much info to be found ( around here ) until recently.
    Terrible way to end the match.
    I hope she will be back in action soon. One of the better players in the tournament.
    Well, she scored again in the win against England, but was substituted before the second half. She really showed the way for Sweden all the way to the bronze medal!

Whatever the outcome tomorrow, this will likely be another year in which the USA women's team brings in more revenue than the USA men's, but the women still earning less than their male counterparts. That was certainly the case when the women won it all last time around.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That logic applies only to the womens game in the USA not globally. The tournament prize money is based on the global game. Even in the USA the womens game has very little income, average crowds of 6000 fans over 12 home games a season with tickets $15 to $30. No TV deal to speak of. That's Capitalism baby.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-06-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That logic applies only to the womens game in the USA not globally. The tournament prize money is based on the global game. Even in the USA the womens game has very little income, average crowds of 6000 fans over 12 home games a season with tickets $15 to $30. No TV deal to speak of. That's Capitalism baby.
    Unfortunately, it's an uphill battle for women's soccer. The women on the national team get paid less than men while generating more revenue than the men. That is grossly unfair. But the issue of the Nat'l Women's Soccer League is another. The NWSL was shown on Fox Sports and lost that deal. A&E picked it up but cancelled it for 2019. This season is being shown on Yahoo Sports. BTW, there are only nine teams.

But all one has to do is look at the WNBA. Its inaugural season was in '96 and yet "ratings still remain poor in comparison to NBA games. In 2008, WNBA games averaged just 413,000 viewers, compared to 1.46 million viewers on ESPN and over 2.2 million on ABC for NBA games... However, ESPN viewership grew 35% in 2018 over 2017. This became the impetus for the multi-year partnership in which CBS Sports Network will broadcast live WNBA games beginning with the 2019 season." (Wikipedia) CBS Sports Network? Really? How many cable subscribers have CBSSN?

23 years later, there's still just 12 teams and roughly only half are profitable.

So, the problem for women's soccer, or women's sports in general, is where to get the spectators and generate interest enough that it's shown on TV? Every man I've ever known doesn't care about women's sports, with one exception, and that's because he had daughters who played soccer. The vast majority of women I've known don't care about sports in general, other than figure skating and gymnastics.

But as to your point that the logic only applies to the US and not globally, I assume you mean that men's soccer generates more revenue globally and, therefore, the prize money is substantially more. That may change given that global viewership is estimated to hit a billion viewers by the end of the tournament.1

According to FIFA,2 published 22 June, the average audience for France's three group matches was 10.1 million viewers. And for their matches against Brazil in the Rof16 and the US in the quarterfinal, over half of French TVs were tuned in.3 In the US, overall reach was nearly 48 million. In Brazil, the average was nearly 22.5 million. Some other numbers: Italy had 7.3 million viewers for Italy v. Brazil; in the UK, 4 million viewers watched England v. Scotland and by the end of England and Scotland’s final group matches, exactly 50% (30.1 million) of potential viewers in the UK had watched at least one minute of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019; in China over 12 million viewers.

So now the question is, with all that viewership, FIFA has to be raising a shit ton of revenue. Where's it going?

I think with regard to women's sports there should be some sort of profit sharing written into their contracts. That way their pay and/or prize money directly reflects the interest they generate from spectators and viewers.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Anyone watch the Bronze medal game?

Sweden came out swinging and England looked punch drunk, like they did not know what hit them. Fortunately, they adapted and pretty much controlled most of the rest of the game. Fran Kirby scored in the 31st minute and then Ellen White tied the score 2-2 in the 33rd minute. Unfortunately, VAR overturned it on a hand ball ruling. I think she got robbed. From my vantage, it was questionable, at best, because the Swedish player looked to be pushing her arm. Benefit of the doubt should have fallen to White. But, then again, there's no excuse for how poorly ENG played in the first 22 minutes. (smh)

I'm not a fan of how they are applying VAR on handball, this super slo-mo stuff really doesn't account for the speed and randomness of body movements.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Sweden made a tremendous opening and then backed down and had England trying to get through - the Swedish defence controlled the game! Regarding the VAR decision it was admittedly very tough, but the decisions has gone both way during the tournament, like when Sweden was not allowed a VAR check in the semi that would clearly have given them a penalty (by the tournament standards).

WRT Women's soccer in the US, there have been some noises for 'double-header' matches with Men's and Women's games.
    There is push back for various reasons.
    The local MLS team has a new stadium and has outgrown the growth pains of the 90's to mid 2010's.
    Sharing would be hard. Even though they would thrown in an MLS game in with a European exhibition match or World cup qualifier to generate interest ( back in the 2000's )

My boss coaches his daughter's team, two co-workers coaches girls soccer and another is just a soccer fanatic.
    We have had all of the games on at work.
    Not a ton of interest from the rest of the office.
    Men's world cup generated a lot more interest in the office.

FIFA has done a disservice to the sport by having so many 'Cups' going on at the same time.
    They could have done a little schedule management to improve the prominence of all the matches.
    -- Aristotle

Congrats USA. It's over.

Can we get back the the important stuff now, who's going to be Newcastle's new manager?
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.