Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zopp: New Canterbury on the way from Bad Elephant Music

singer wrecks it for me

I don't mind these vocals at all. Nice tune.
    <sig out of order>

I like it, vocals and all

Live album Live At Danfest will be released next month:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Live album Live At Danfest will be released next month
    Looking forward to that one. The 2 studio albums are great - almost like Egg being reborn.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Live album Live At Danfest will be released next month:
    CDs - for fans of physical - are on the way to us.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I pre-ordered the limited edition (50 units) with a card and received it last weekend. According the Bandcamppage the number of regular CD's is 300, from which at the moment are 38 left: https://astronomyrecordingmusic.band...ive-at-danfest
    I guess the CD's going to USA-shops were among those 262

Today Ryan sent this email to Bandcamp-shoppers:

Zoppers!

You can now listen to the 14 minute epic 'Toxicity (Live)' from the latest 'Live at Danfest' CD, out on Astronomy Recording Music, October 4th.

There are only approximately 30 CDs left from Astronomy Recording Music!

Listen and support from the links below!

PRE-ORDER CD >> astronomyrecordingmusic.bandcamp.com
    PRE-ORDER DIGITAL >> zopp.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-danfest

P.S Next month I will announce a limited edition of 50 CD copies for 'Live at Danfest', which will include a signed post-card from every band member of Zopp who performed on the record and more.. stayed tuned for this. I will sell this through Flat Circle Records.

Have a great weekend, love,

Ryan.

I just gave this band a good listen and they fall into the "not for me" category. Drummer is heavy-handed and too busy, not to mention the wall-to-wall widdly keyboards. Don't care for the vocals. The only thing l hear "Canterbury" about it is the Dave Sinclair organ.
    When l finished there was not a composed moment memorable enough to stick, just lots of widdly and too-busy drumming.
    I am glad they're out there doing this, though, and l'm always happy to see a new band getting relatively successful. Like Big Big Train and old King Crimson, it's just not to my liking.
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Do you already have the price set for it?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I just gave this band a good listen and they fall into the "not for me" category. Drummer is heavy-handed and too busy, not to mention the wall-to-wall widdly keyboards. Don't care for the vocals. The only thing l hear "Canterbury" about it is the Dave Sinclair organ.
    When l finished there was not a composed moment memorable enough to stick, just lots of widdly and too-busy drumming.
    I am glad they're out there doing this, though, and l'm always happy to see a new band getting relatively successful. Like Big Big Train and old King Crimson, it's just not to my liking.
    I mostly agree with this. I don't quite get the "hype" around Zopp.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Zopp are in the category of like, but not love for me. Good band, though.

Neil
    "Just know that even if we listen to the same bands, I listen to them BETTER than you" - Gene Meyer

I saw Zopp this summer on a festival in France...great musicians, especially the bass player...as a Canterbury fan I like the parts that remind me Hatfield, Caravan , Egg etc. but I am less enthusiastic about Stevenson's "own" material(Zopp is basically the project of multi-instrumentalist Ryan W. Stevenson)
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I still really love Zopp's first album. It makes no difference to me that it sounds like classic Canterbury, I just like the melodies, arrangements, and overall composition. The second one I'm a bit on the fence about. I don't really love the vocals, and I don't think this album was as tightly composed or arranged as the first, but I do like that he's developing a bit more of a signature sound. I'm sticking with him to see what a third studio album will sound like, and I'm also curious what the band sounds like live on this new record. Maybe I'll get some fresh takes on material from the second album.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    "...too busy...." "...and too-busy drumming."
    What is this "busy" you speak of? I love busy drummers, lol. Must be my ADHD mind.
    <sig out of order>

Dominion has settled in as my #1 album of 2023. A great mix of Egg (the band...) and UK neo-psychedelia, yielding a unique "sound" that transcends both of the obvious reference points. You and Toxicity are two of the most engaging epics I have heard from a new band in several years.

Before the album came out I was worried that vocals might ruin Zopp's compelling Canterbury moves, as heard on the debut. Very happy that my concern was completely misguided. We got something far greater than a Canterbury homage with Dominion.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Dominion has settled in as my #1 album of 2023. A great mix of Egg (the band...) and UK neo-psychedelia, yielding a unique "sound" that transcends both of the obvious reference points. You and Toxicity are two of the most engaging epics I have heard from a new band in several years.

Before the album came out I was worried that vocals might ruin Zopp's compelling Canterbury moves, as heard on the debut. Very happy that my concern was completely misguided. We got something far greater than a Canterbury homage with Dominion.
    As you can see in post #54 both You and Toxicity are on the live-CD!

^^^ Yep. I'm really looking forward to it. I plan to order a copy as soon as our US retailers list it as in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    What is this "busy" you speak of? I love busy drummers, lol. Must be my ADHD mind.
    I too was puzzled a bit by that as well. I played it yesterday with that in mind and still left puzzled. The drums seemed to speak to that music just fine. Shrug...
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

While the instrumental pieces are mostly Egg-like, the longer vocal works draw from more "conventional prog" (if there is such a thing) sources. In particular, some of the vocal lines are reminiscent of Jon Anderson's, melodically and rhythmically though not wrt voice quality.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.