Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zopp: New Canterbury on the way from Bad Elephant Music

Zopp: New Canterbury on the way from Bad Elephant Music

When The Tangent/Andy Tillison get mentioned, it grabs my attention. New band (that's been in the works for a while) have officially signed with Bad Elephant Music.

http://www.musictap.com/2020/01/27/n...way-from-zopp/

I've been following them on FB, and I'm not really sure how it happened. I must've heard about them somewhere (I'd assume here).

But, yeah, it sounds like something I'll like.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Looking forward to this - the preview single they released last year was great!

Thx for heads-up-down-up.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I missed the earlier demo releases, but the descriptions and the folks they're partnering with (The Tangent, Bad Elephant) have me totally sold on the notion.

Looks like this will be the last Bad Elephant physical release until the pandemic subsided. If you preordered, it’s on the way.

“Our next release is the superb debut album from Zopp - Canterbury Scene prog at its finest - which officially releases on 10th April. However, we've sent pre-orders out already, as we don't know whether the post office will be open by then! They're dropping on doorsteps already, and I know you're going to love it.

“After that we're postponing new releases until the world situation becomes clearer. We've got a great lineup to deliver this year, but we're taking the view that while everyone's minds are on other things it's best that we hold back on releasing new music for now.”
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will certainly check it out, I like Canterbury and Bad Elephant are a great label.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Out today!

It's definitely the most overtly Canterbury sounding album I've heard in a long time, definite references to groups of old.
    Really really good enjoyable album. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but a nice retro-Canterbury throwback!
    Was really cool to hear the National Health style intro to the album.
    Last edited by auxfnx; 03-27-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Out today!

It's definitely the most overtly Canterbury sounding album I've heard in a long time, definite references to groups of old.
    Really really good enjoyable album. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but a nice retro-Canterbury throwback!
    Was really cool to hear the National Health style intro to the album.
    Whoa....will check this sucker out. Thx!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I guess I'll have to find time, space, moneys and a litterbitter wits for this one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Canterbury for sure with some melodies that bring to mind Frank Zappa.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

It's very good, no doubt about that, but seems to lack a certain spark of personality that I want to hear before I think of something as "Canterbury". I mean it ticks the boxes alright, but feels a bit like "housetrained Canterbury".

Yeah, I want Canterbury that pisses on the rug...

I will give it another listen though, it could just be me.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It's very good, no doubt about that, but seems to lack a certain spark of personality that I want to hear before I think of something as "Canterbury". I mean it ticks the boxes alright, but feels a bit like "housetrained Canterbury".

I will give it another listen though, it could just be me.
    Agree - I like it, but they should have thought more 'out of the box', dared to 'provoke'. Kudos just for trying.
    But as you, I need to listen more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

This made me laugh in real life.

I gave it a first listen today and enjoyed it immensely. True it doesn’t add anything new to the sound, but there’s plenty of room for Canterbury inflected music and compositions of this quality.

Nice but nothing very memorable or innovative. Ordered it anyway! :
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Absolutely enjoyable but it needs to be roughened up around the edges a bit.

Listened last night. I liked it just as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Absolutely enjoyable but it needs to be roughened up around the edges a bit.
    Agreed!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Yes this is up there with the best neo-Canterbury of the last 30 years, right up there with DFA, Billy Bottle, and Volare.

I just sampled this and bought the CD. Thanks for the heads up!!

Bill

I'd say it's more symphonic than most Canterbury-albums, but whatever you call it, it's a lovely album. And yeah, the National Heath-intro (debut) is obvious.

With title tracks like "Eternal Return" and "Being and Time", the possibility of them being German philosopher-spies on British soil is distressing...

I've listened some 4'times and haven't been impressed. Too sympho and mellow to be deemed Canterbury - or essential - for these ears. But I will still leave the door open for a little while longer.

C'mon people! Turn off your preconceptions and just listen to the damn album! It's excellent and very enjoyable. Does it reinvent the wheel? Does it have to?