Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supertramp - Supertramps

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I have also never heard of the song Pony Expresss, which is listed in the bootleg whose discogs link you shared with us.
    I have a bootleg recording of that track in MP3, which I downloaded a very long time ago. The sound is completely awful, and I haven't heard it in ages, but from what I remember it's not really a great track... It's a Rick Davies rock'n'roll kind of song, but as I said not a really great one...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Yes, that was a BBC session with the Indelibly Stamped band, but with Dougie Thomson on bass. They were already playing Rudy and Dreamer back then. This showed up on YouTube a few years ago, but I only got to listen once as it was taken down rather quickly...

EDIT: Just found this on Google, it seems like there's a bootleg CD with this material...

https://www.discogs.com/pt_BR/Supert...elease/9645708

EDIT 2: At least part of that 1974 session is still available on YouTube:

But as usual with Supertramp, those are pretty much the same as the studio versions...
    Great and thanks for share!!.

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Great band. These threads always depress me, though. I had one chance to see them and the fuckers broke up the day of the show.
    We've been here before. They did not break up (Roger leaving) till the tour was completed but it seems they did have to cancel the show you would have seen for some reason. Too bad, the show in Philly was great.

I like the first album quite a bit. The 2nd one is just so-so.

Now here's a curio. Roger with one Reg Dwight (Elton) and a single that came out pre-Tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    We've been here before. They did not break up (Roger leaving) till the tour was completed but it seems they did have to cancel the show you would have seen for some reason. Too bad, the show in Philly was great.
    Yeah, that always puzzled me. At the time it was announced due to the band splitting. But, yes, I did learn here that they completed the tour. Still, the fuckers...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I am not big Supertramp fan but I think that Breakfast In America is brilliant pop album. Debut I find quite mediocre.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 02-04-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow this just showed up on my Youtube Recommended Videos list!!!

Hurry up before they take it down!
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

And... there's Dreamer as well...

Looks like someone uploaded the whole thing... Just found School as well as next suggestion in the Youtube List. This Youtube algorithm is really on a roll today...

^^^^ Thanks a lot for the links. They are really cool!

What saddens me is that due to the fall out between Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson the back catalogue of Supertramp was not fully explored. An archival release would be of great interest to the fans.

What's really interesting to me is how they developed the classic Supertramp sound so quickly right after the Indelibly Stamped album. In 1972 they were already playing those classic songs from Crime of the Century, but still retaining some of the naivety and jamming of early Supertramp. Rudy with Dave Winthrop on flute was a real treat to hear, so very different! Also Rick Davies going nuts on the Hammond drawbars in the middle section of Dreamer reminds me of some of the more experimental parts of Try Again, for example...

What saddens me is that due to the fall out between Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson the back catalogue of Supertramp was not fully explored. An archival release would be of great interest to the fans.
    +1

And yes, thanks for share!!.
    Great!.
    Last edited by TCC; 02-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I always thought that Supertramp always sounded like Supertramp. Ive never thought of the first album as any different from any other album. No one else sounds like them, and it seems like they have such a wide array of styles, but I always felt that they were completely unique. The voices and instrumentation make them unlike anything else Ive ever heard. BIA and EITQM are both perfect 10 albums - in my mind. Every album was great, but for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    BIA and EITQM are both perfect 10 albums - in my mind.
    Those and Crime are probably my Top 3 faves from them. Great albums.

What saddens me is that due to the fall out between Rick David and Roger Hodgson the back catalogue of Supertramp was not fully explored. An archival release would be of great interest to the fans.
    Well another feud beweebn a Roger and a David did finally happen to that exploitation, so all hope is not lost

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    What's really interesting to me is how they developed the classic Supertramp sound so quickly right after the Indelibly Stamped album. In 1972 they were already playing those classic songs from Crime of the Century, but still retaining some of the naivety and jamming of early Supertramp. Rudy with Dave Winthrop on flute was a real treat to hear, so very different! Also Rick Davies going nuts on the Hammond drawbars in the middle section of Dreamer reminds me of some of the more experimental parts of Try Again, for example...
    yeah, this comes a bit as a surprise to me as well, especially that there is more than three years between the two releases (Stamped & Crime). I guess the Winthrop-Currie-Farrell line-up lasted a while longer than I'd have expected.

from RYM:
    Davies and Hodgson immediately set about recruiting new members. By April 1971, Supertramp's second line-up was in place, consisting of Davies, Hodgson (who switched to guitar), drummer Kevin Currie, bassist Frank Farrell, and saxophonist/flautist Dave Winthrop. In June, the group released Indelibly Stamped. The album achieved notoriety for its cover artwork, which featured the tattooed breasts of Bristol woman Marian Hollier. The negative publicity didn't help sales, and the album sold even more poorly than its predecessor. This finally took its toll on Miesegaes, who ceased supporting the band in October 1972. However, he agreed to forgive all debts and allowed the members to keep their instruments. Nevertheless, Currie, Farrell, and Winthrop all departed during the ensuing months, and Supertramp was once again reduced to a duo by mid-1973.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Now this... I had no idea this even existed!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Those and Crime are probably my Top 3 faves from them. Great albums.
    Crime is a 10/10 for me. EITQM is very strong, next best. Then Crisis What Crisis (also stellar) and then the commerical Breakfast in America (first tour I saw with the band).
    I really do think Crime is a perfect album, every track is wonderful.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Crime is a 10/10 for me. EITQM is very strong, next best. Then Crisis What Crisis (also stellar) and then the commerical Breakfast in America (first tour I saw with the band).
    We certainly used Crime to demo audio, especially the half speed master vinyl, Mobile Fidelity.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    We certainly used Crime to demo audio, especially the half speed master vinyl, Mobile Fidelity.
    That's interesting. I own a MFSL CD of Crime and the sound is crystal clear. I would like to be able to get Quiestest and Crisis on MSFL CD too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

I am looking at GnosAny other fans of this great American album?
    The funny thing is that the band America was an English band; well kind of. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    The funny thing is that the band America was an English band; well kind of. ;-)
    They were Americans who lived with their military fathers who were stationed in the UK, I believe.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Getting back on topic, and maybe it's contained in this thread, I thought that it was pretty cool when I was in my twenties, decades ago, reading that Supertramp had a millionaire sponsor in the early days. Sure, a little more common now, perhaps, but what were the chances back then?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    the almost-perfect Crime than next a trio right behind it: debut, Quietest Moments and Brother WYB. Don't care that much about the rest: I can (and lave) live without Breakfast and Crisis (I got those in a CDr compilation, with Aries (Stamped) and the last two tracks from Last Words).

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    There was a strange video on YouTube of the pre-first album lineup (Palmer on guitar/vocals, Davies keyboards, Hodgson bass, Keith Baker later of Uriah Heep on drums) doing a cover of "All Along The Watchtower." It disappeared quickly (as all Supertramp/Hodgson videos on YouTube seemed to) but maybe someone here knows how to access it.
    All of the YT links in nthis recent threads have gone dead

However Watchtower is still on that Russian site but not always obeying

https://vk.com/video-101936_164243546
    Last edited by Trane; 01-27-2021 at 03:50 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Ken Scott who was George Harrison’s favorite engineer/producer on Abbey Road, co-produced Crime.

Due to a contractual agreement, all the songs are credited jointly to the two writers, but some of the songs were written individually. Scott commented that Davies and Hodgson "were very, very different personalities. Those differing personalities made the music sound the way it did." "Asylum", "Rudy" and "Bloody Well Right" were written by Davies, "Dreamer", "If Everyone Was Listening", and "Hide in Your Shell" were written by Hodgson, and both "School" and "Crime of the Century" are Davies/Hodgson collaborations

Ken produced Crisis too. Here are some of his credits:

1974: Supertramp – Crime of the Century (Producer, Engineer, Mastering)
    1975: Mahavishnu Orchestra – Visions of the Emerald Beyond (Producer, Engineer)
    1975: Stanley Clarke – Journey to Love (Producer, Engineer)
    1974: Supertramp – Crisis? What Crisis? (Producer)
    1976: Elton John - Don’t Go Breaking my heart (Engineer)
    1976: The Tubes – Young and Rich (Producer)
    1976: Stanley Clarke – School Days (Producer, Engineer)
    1977: Don Harrison Band – Not Far from Free (Producer, Engineer)
    1978: Dixie Dregs – What If (Producer, Engineer)
    1978: Happy the Man – Crafty Hands (Producer, Engineer)
    1978: Dixie Dregs – Night of the Living Dregs (Producer, Engineer)
    1979: Gamma – Gamma 1 (Producer, Engineer)
    1979: Devo – Duty Now for the Future (Producer, Engineer)
    1980: Jeff Beck – There & Back (Producer)
    1982: Kansas – Vinyl Confessions (Producer, Engineer)
    1982: Missing Persons – Spring Session M (Producer, Engineer)
    1985: Level 42 – World Machine (Producer)
    1985: Rubber Rodeo – Heartbreak Highway (Producer, Engineer)
    1992: dada – Puzzle (Producer, Engineer, Mixing)
    1995: Duran Duran – Thank You (Engineer)
    1995: Whiteheart – Inside (Producer, Engineer)
    1998: Missing Persons – Late Nights Early Days (Producer, Engineer)
    1999: Mahavishnu Orchestra – The Lost Trident Sessions (Engineer)
    2000: Duran Duran – Pop Trash (Engineer, Mixing)
    2006: The Beatles – Love (Engineer)
    2012: The Moog – Seasons in the Underground (Producer, Engineer, Mixing)

^^Don't know if "in association with Ken Scott" also counts as a production-job, but that's what he was credited for on the cover of Like Children by Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer.

I'm sure you read Scott's autobiography Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust.