Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivor - Season 40 And Onward

Gruno, I think you need a 12-step program for Reality TV Addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Gruno, I think you need a 12-step program for Reality TV Addicts.
    Sign me up!!!

I actually do not spend a huge amount of time watching TV compared to many others I know. I lost the fire for episodic television & most dramas a decade or so ago and modern day sitcoms leave me unsatisfied. Once the movie Private Ryan came out, television slowly adopted the mobile camera as a method for storytelling. Now, it's practically the norm. I can't stand it. Get off my lawn and hold the damned camera still!!! Someone can get motion sickness from some of these shows.

I like to watch competition reality shows like Survivor and The Challenge because I get more value from them than watching pro sports. I rather watch these everyday people compete for their fame and money in 14 1hr. episodes rather than watching millionaires playing their sport (like baseball) for months and months. There's some who watch hours and hours of baseball each day. Compared to that, I barely rack up time watching this reality junk. I view all reality tv I watch as "disposable TV."

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Sign me up!!!

Once the movie Private Ryan came out, television slowly adopted the mobile camera as a method for storytelling. Now, it's practically the norm. I can't stand it. Get off my lawn and hold the damned camera still!!! Someone can get motion sickness from some of these shows.
    I get motion sickness really easily. It's the reason I had to stop watching The Amazing Race. Too much hand-held camera work and fast edits. It literally makes me sick. Which is too bad because I otherwise enjoy the show.

I like to watch competition reality shows like Survivor and The Challenge because I get more value from them than watching pro sports. I rather watch these everyday people compete for their fame and money in 14 1hr. episodes rather than watching millionaires playing their sport (like baseball) for months and months. There's some who watch hours and hours of baseball each day. Compared to that, I barely rack up time watching this reality junk. I view all reality tv I watch as "disposable TV."
    Most TV is disposable TV. I watch very few shows on a regular basis. There are a few that I enjoy and watch weekly, but most of the time if the TV is on, I'm doing something else at the same time and listening more than I'm watching.

New season starts on Sept. 22.

Let's get some!

That's like a month away!! I can't remember yesterday nor plan for tomorrow... I hope we get more reminders. ;-)
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

New season starts on Sept. 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    That's like a month away!! I can't remember yesterday nor plan for tomorrow... I hope we get more reminders. ;-)
    Start a new thread
    Regards,

Duncan

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Did they start filming a season that was interrupted or have they've been out for the whole of the pandemic?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Did they start filming a season that was interrupted or have they've been out for the whole of the pandemic?
    That's a good question.

Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid? We watched an episode where the woman tapped out on, like, day 3 and the man continued on his own. He got to day 20 of a 21 day challenge and the producers came out to tell him that they had to pull the plug because of Covid. I forget where they were but the border was closing, all flights were being cancelled, and they basically had 12 hour to get out of the country. The contestant had been completely isolated from the world for 20 days and had no idea what was going on. It was crazy to watch!

All episodes after that were filmed in the U.S, in some of the toughest conditions I've ever seen on that show.

That's a good question.

Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid? We watched an episode where the woman tapped out on, like, day 3 and the man continued on his own. He got to day 20 of a 21 day challenge and the producers came out to tell him that they had to pull the plug because of Covid. I forget where they were but the border was closing, all flights were being cancelled, and they basically had 12 hour to get out of the country. The contestant had been completely isolated from the world for 20 days and had no idea what was going on. It was crazy to watch!

All episodes after that were filmed in the U.S, in some of the toughest conditions I've ever seen on that show.
    I switched to Alone on the History channel. 10 people spread out through the rugged Artic wilderness surviving individually - "Alone" Last person standing wins $500k

I switched to Alone on the History channel. 10 people spread out through the rugged Artic wilderness surviving individually - "Alone" Last person standing wins $500k
    Now THAT my friend is a true survival show. It's fascinating. I haven't seen this season though.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I am not 100% sure on this, but I am pretty sure that I read that covid hit in between filming of seasons. The upcoming season, and the next one, were both filmed after some restrictions were lifted.

Check this thread comment #65

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I didn't realize I asked that before.

Although I seem to have thought they were in the middle of production. And according to wikipedia, they will only be out there for 26 days. Smaller cast? I also didn't realize how long they've been filming in Fiji!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Now THAT my friend is a true survival show. It's fascinating. I haven't seen this season though.
    This season is frikkin' awesome! It's called Grizzly Lake or Mountain or something. Each contestant has encountered a grizzly. I won't spoil anymore than that, but highly recommend it. Now that we're up to episode 9 you can binge.

Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid?
    I was addicted for the first 2.5 seasons. I also loved Naked and Afraid: XL for the first 2 seasons. After that, the format seemed to change in too many directions that I started to lose interest. Some of the pairings were just not good and the casting wasn't that great. The rising popularity of the show seemed to bring out the "I can do that!" crowd and the show suffered, imo. Episodes started getting edited into other episodes. Seasons were also crossed and repackaged. Didn't they start having specials where D-list celebs competed? A lot of the fan episodes were time wasters to me. Has it changed? How is the current format prior to Covid?

What I very much liked on Naked and Afraid was them having to fend for themselves 100%. If they don't eat, that's on them. I have always been vocal about Survivor wussing out and practically shoveling food to these people every other day. The Survivor seasons now blend together for me. Do they even do the food purchase comps anymore? I understand they want to feed them so they can compete and not be lethargic, but perhaps that is on the casting crew to choose better contestants. Of course they aren't just looking for worthy survivors. The looks, back story, etc., is what drives the ratings and thus the casting. Those reward comps where the winner and a couple others went off somewhere to interact with locals or experience the regional culture, then were treated to a huge feast, after a shower and massages. A few times they would sneak food back to camp to use as peace offerings. I miss some of those things. The watered down version of today is still entertaining, just not as thrilling.

We watched an episode where the woman tapped out on, like, day 3 and the man continued on his own. He got to day 20 of a 21 day challenge and the producers came out to tell him that they had to pull the plug because of Covid. I forget where they were but the border was closing, all flights were being cancelled, and they basically had 12 hour to get out of the country. The contestant had been completely isolated from the world for 20 days and had no idea what was going on. It was crazy to watch!
    See, now that sounds interesting!

I did like a few of the episodes that were filmed in the U.S. The everglades of Florida and somewhere in Georgia are two that come to mind.

Is there a theme with this next Survivor?

Is there a theme with this next Survivor?
    The big reveal has not happened.

I was addicted for the first 2.5 seasons....yadda, yadda, yadda.
    I can't disagree with anything you've said Gruno. Some episodes are really good, and others suck. It's very hit and miss. I do love the XL series. The XL that recently ended (which we're still watching) was interesting in that it was a group of "legends". It's a 60-day challenge in the Louisiana swamps. It's fascinating to me to see how these people survive with basically nothing. They are eating relatively well, have built some incredible shelters, and one team built a bridge to get from one side of the river to the other. I wouldn't have lasted a half hour. One mosquito bite and I'm running indoors. LOL!

The big reveal has not happened.
    I'd prefer just all new folks, without any returnees or this vs. that stuff. Honestly I wish somehow they can find people who have never watched the show before. I miss those earlier seasons when it was a free-for-all of stupidity

I'd prefer just all new folks, without any returnees or this vs. that stuff. Honestly I wish somehow they can find people who have never watched the show before. I miss those earlier seasons when it was a free-for-all of stupidity
    Bring back the car giveaways on the island!!!

Bring back the car giveaways on the island!!!

I remember the very first season where the doctor guy (forget his name) had a strategy of voting players off alphabetically...and he stuck with it to his detriment!

I remember the very first season where the doctor guy (forget his name) had a strategy of voting players off alphabetically...and he stuck with it to his detriment!
    I would love to rewatch that first season. It would probably be hilarious to watch now.

This season is frikkin' awesome! It's called Grizzly Lake or Mountain or something. Each contestant has encountered a grizzly. I won't spoil anymore than that, but highly recommend it. Now that we're up to episode 9 you can binge.
    First time I decided not to watch it - and now you tell me I shoulda...

I'll see if I can find time to catch up
    Regards,

Duncan

I would love to rewatch that first season. It would probably be hilarious to watch now.
    Are you able to view Pluto.tv ?

Outside of the United States, Pluto TV and its apps are currently available in Europe and Latin America. Pluto is also available in countries such as Canada, but only in a limited capacity due to existing program rights held by domestic broadcasters.
    This is the Survivor channel:
    https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/survivor-ptv1

At the start of summer I would watch an episode as it played live on Pluto while I ate lunch. I might have posted about it back then. When I catch an old episode or two, it does make me miss some of the old format and competitions. Currenty Pluto has season 4 on. As of this post, these are on:
    (S04E011) After 28 days, the tribe can no longer bear to eat the slimy sea creatures.
    (S04E012) A shocking event sends the castaways on an emotional rollercoaster.

The Challenge: https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/the-challenge
    The Amazing Race: https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/the-amazing-race