Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prince Rawks on Fallon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I recall when Prince went psychedelic...

... about 20 years after everyone else.
    I think you're confusing him with Lenny Kravitz.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I think you're confusing him with Lenny Kravitz.

Actually, Prince was kind of a major dick on Fallon.

Turns out, that guitar he wrecked at the end of the performance was not his.

The guitar, a 1961 Epiphone Crestwood (worth no less than $4000), belonged to Captian Kirk Douglas of Fallon's band. Prince admired the guitar and asked of he could borrow it for the performance.

So, not only is smashing a guitar 30+ years from being cool. Smashing another persons guitar, especially a vintage collector's guitar is WAY uncool. To take things to a whole new level of uncool, Douglas asked Prince to sign it for him before the performance, and he refused.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

What a total dick.

And with a voice like that.

Banned
    What a total dick.

And with a voice like that.
    Rimshot!! Ronmac made a funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Rimshot!! Ronmac made a funny.
    You never learn, do you?

Banned
    You never learn, do you?
    Sorry, I thought you were trying to make a joke with your Prince comment.

Never cared about Prince and never saw his "greatness" since he appeared on the music scene in the early 1980s. That opinion was reinforced back in the mid 1990s when he appeared on stage to play a song on one of those VH1 honors type of show and at the guitar solo section of the song you could clearly notice that Prince was not playing the actual solo. It was either taped or someone else was playing it. Now this disrespectful publicity stunt of vandalizing someone else guitar. Prince probably has plenty of guitars he could have sacrificed for the stunt, or he could have sent one of his goons to buy a guitar at one of the many guitar shops a few blocks away from Fallon's studio. Instead he used his fame to borrow the guitar from another musician which was also a fan and throwing it into the air. Prince is definitely a no class diva. I am quite sure Prince's apologists will be saying how cool or cutting edge was this, but to me it looks like a desperate attempt by a washed up star to gain some attention from the press. I do not watch Fallon at all, but stayed up that night to see Prince's performance and was not impressed. Fallon and Carey drooling all over on how great Prince was embarrassing to watch.

FWIW, there are some reports on the web that this is not the first time that Prince smashes another person's guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Never cared about Prince and never saw his "greatness" since he appeared on the music scene in the early 1980s.
    His first album came out in 1978.

Banned
    Never cared about Prince and never saw his "greatness" since he appeared on the music scene in the early 1980s. That opinion was reinforced back in the mid 1990s when he appeared on stage to play a song on one of those VH1 honors type of show and at the guitar solo section of the song you could clearly notice that Prince was not playing the actual solo. It was either taped or someone else was playing it. Now this disrespectful publicity stunt of vandalizing someone else guitar. Prince probably has plenty of guitars he could have sacrificed for the stunt, or he could have sent one of his goons to buy a guitar at one of the many guitar shops a few blocks away from Fallon's studio. Instead he used his fame to borrow the guitar from another musician which was also a fan and throwing it into the air. Prince is definitely a no class diva. I am quite sure Prince's apologists will be saying how cool or cutting edge was this, but to me it looks like a desperate attempt by a washed up star to gain some attention from the press. I do not watch Fallon at all, but stayed up that night to see Prince's performance and was not impressed. Fallon and Carey drooling all over on how great Prince was embarrassing to watch.

FWIW, there are some reports on the web that this is not the first time that Prince smashes another person's guitar.
    Did he smash someone else's guitar with he was inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame?

It was either taped or someone else was playing it.
    Or maybe the videotape was poorly edited, which happens with a lot of those TV programs.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    His first album came out in 1978.
    I am well aware that his first album came in the late 1970s. I meant since he hit mainstream appeal (1999 album), shortly after MTV started airing. Before that, his appeal was pretty much limited to R&B and Soul charts.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Or maybe the videotape was poorly edited, which happens with a lot of those TV programs.
    It has been a while, but I think the particular show was being broadcasted live. I had a VHS tape of the whole show and watched it many times after to make sure it was not my imagination. There were no issues with the vocals or other instruments, it was only the guitar solo the one that had the issues. I have seen plenty of live shows to know what is being played live and what is not. This was not the case of poor editing or bad sync between the audio and video.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I am well aware that his first album came in the late 1970s. I meant since he hit mainstream appeal (1999 album), shortly after MTV started airing. Before that, his appeal was pretty much limited to R&B and Soul charts.

It has been a while, but I think the particular show was being broadcasted live. I had a VHS tape of the whole show and watched it many times after to make sure it was not my imagination. There were no issues with the vocals or other instruments, it was only the guitar solo the one that had the issues. I have seen plenty of live shows to know what is being played live and what is not. This was not the case of poor editing or bad sync between the audio and video.
    Why spent so much effort on something you strongly dislike? Usually, that intensity is reserved for music one really likes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Why spent so much effort on something you strongly dislike? Usually, that intensity is reserved for music one really likes.
    Well, it beats pre-judging it without hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

The guitar, a 1961 Epiphone Crestwood (worth no less than $4000), belonged to Captian Kirk Douglas of Fallon's band. Prince admired the guitar and asked of he could borrow it for the performance.

So, not only is smashing a guitar 30+ years from being cool. Smashing another persons guitar, especially a vintage collector's guitar is WAY uncool. To take things to a whole new level of uncool, Douglas asked Prince to sign it for him before the performance, and he refused.
    Wow. Unbelievable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    "In Dick Move, Prince Smashes Other Guy's Guitar on 'Fallon'"
    http://www.spin.com/articles/prince-...-guitar-fallon

Well, it beats pre-judging it without hearing it.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Because I like many styles of music and many folks claim this guy is a genius. I have listened to his music and watched many of appearances to find some redeeming quality, but have found very little to like. I refrained myself on posting on the thread after the Fallon performance for that reason, but the guitar throwing issue deserved some comments and I went for it stating upfront that I was not a fan.

FWIW, there is an extremely entertaining video of Kevin Smith narrating his experience when Prince hired Smith to do a documentary about him and his latest project back in 2001. Like many Prince music and videos the documentary footage still lies on Prince's vault, but Smith's account is well worth it to watch regardless if you are or not a fan of Prince.

that falsetto

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    that falsetto
    Wow, that's what it is? It's like fingernails on a blackboard. I just can't listen to that shrill.

wow. i like some of the guy's music and think he's certainly got talent. sometimes he's pretty amazing, actually.

but really? borrow someone's guitar - especially a prized one - and smash it on the stage? after refusing to sign it? (insult meet injury)

somehow i'm not surprised, as i knew he had an ego on him. that's just wrong, though, and extremely cold.

and again i say wow. that's brutal. the irony of the fact Douglas was planning to play it at a Prince concert (he was obviously a fan) is doubly funky (and not in the good way).

so NOT on the one,

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    wow. i like some of the guy's music and think he's certainly got talent. sometimes he's pretty amazing, actually.

but really? borrow someone's guitar - especially a prized one - and smash it on the stage? after refusing to sign it? (insult meet injury)

somehow i'm not surprised, as i knew he had an ego on him. that's just wrong, though, and extremely cold.

and again i say wow. that's brutal. the irony of the fact Douglas was planning to play it at a Prince concert (he was obviously a fan) is doubly funky (and not in the good way).

so NOT on the one,

Kim
    According to press releases, Douglas played the benefit with the Epiphone that Prince damaged on the Fallon show. Allegedly Prince's people contacted Douglas and said they were going to take care of the repair, but those reports came after reports of Gibson (Epiphone's parent company) offered their services to take care of the guitar at no cost. The more I think of it, I tend to believe that my original thought of being "a desperate attempt by a washed up star to gain some attention from the press" was right on the money.

The more I think of it, I tend to believe that my original thought of being "a desperate attempt by a washed up star to gain some attention from the press" was right on the money.
    No doubt. One of the lowest things I've seen a musician do in years. Takes a real shit-stain to do something like that.

Banned
    If it hurts, don't doit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

Prince has apologized to The Roots’ musician Kirk Douglas after trashing his guitar during a late-night TV set in New York last week.
    The enigmatic Purple Rain hitmaker asked to borrow Douglas’ 1961 Epiphone Crestwood ax for his two-song performance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon and threw the instrument to the ground before walking off the set.
    Douglas, the guitarist in Fallon’s house band The Roots, has since posted a photo of the broken guitar on Twitter.com, writing, “Maybe it’s because I’m a dad but I think framing the guitar is a little like rewarding bad behavior.”
    However, he assured fans that Prince is making amends for smashing the guitar. He writes, “His people reached out and made arrangements to take care of damages. Guitar’s in the shop.”
    Ironically, Douglas will be performing as part of a Prince tribute concert, which is scheduled to take place at Carnegie Hall in New York on Thursday night.

http://www.wenn.com/all-news/prince-...during-tv-set/

Seems to me that The Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince made an ass of himself and is in damage control mode. I'm sure he's not trying to make amends because he has a big heart.