Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prince Rawks on Fallon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Seems to me that The Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince made an ass of himself and is in damage control mode. I'm sure he's not trying to make amends because he has a big heart.
    It is surprising how old rockers now sound like the parents of the generations of rockers who were explosive on stage. Blame Jimi and Pete and punk rock. Jimi if in heaven is laughing at this thread. I'm sure if Douglas thought that amends weren't made, he wouldn't have performed at the Prince tribute show.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    It is surprising how old rockers now sound like the parents of the generations of rockers who were explosive on stage. Blame Jimi and Pete and punk rock. Jimi if in heaven is laughing at this thread. I'm sure if Douglas thought that amends weren't made, he wouldn't have performed at the Prince tribute show.
    Except for the fact that they destroyed their own guitars. I certainly would not support The Who's destruction of the property of others, like they did with countless hotel rooms. But, then again, we're talking about apples and oranges. Hotel linens and lamps can be replaced, unlike a rare guitar that potentially has sentimental value.

Don't get me wrong, The Who's destruction of hotel rooms is just as childish and inconsiderate. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I'd also bet money that if you asked Douglas if he was happy about all this and all is forgiven, he'd likely say no, but has chosen to move on

They re-aired the show in question last night. For the record, Prince did not "destroy" the guitar. He threw it in the air, and it landed on the ground. He didn't smash the guitar as some seem to be suggesting. I'm not entirely what kind of "massive damage" that would have been caused by such an action, other than maybe denting the finish. Yeah, it was still a punk ass thing to do with someone else's guitar, but then, that's why most musicians don't let other people touch their instruments, other than perhaps a guitar/keyboard/whatever tech.

Banned
    As much as some hate to admit it, Kirk is happy with outcome. Gibson/Ibanez is taking care of the restoration and I looked into the value of similar vintage guitars like that one. It wasn't a priceless jewel, not as expensive to replace by purchase as it would be to repaired by craftsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    As much as some hate to admit it, Kirk is happy with outcome. Gibson/Ibanez is taking care of the restoration and I looked into the value of similar vintage guitars like that one. It wasn't a priceless jewel, not as expensive to replace by purchase as it would be to repaired by craftsmen.
    I thought Prince as a Jehovah's Witness wouldn't approve of guitar transfusions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They re-aired the show in question last night. For the record, Prince did not "destroy" the guitar. He threw it in the air, and it landed on the ground. He didn't smash the guitar as some seem to be suggesting. I'm not entirely what kind of "massive damage" that would have been caused by such an action, other than maybe denting the finish. Yeah, it was still a punk ass thing to do with someone else's guitar, but then, that's why most musicians don't let other people touch their instruments, other than perhaps a guitar/keyboard/whatever tech.
    Indefensible. Most musicians probably wouldn't have thought twice about lending their guitar to Prince...until now. "He threw it in the air, and it landed on the ground." 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Indefensible. Most musicians probably wouldn't have thought twice about lending their guitar to Prince...until now. "He threw it in the air, and it landed on the ground." 'nuff said.
    What's indefensible? Saying that the guy shouldn't have loaned his guitar to Prince?! I'm sorry, Prince has a guitar collection, a huge one (or at least he did back in the mid 90's), if he needs to use a guitar for a TV appearance, he can use of those instruments.

There's a lot of musicians who won't let other people touch their gear, other than their techs, and not just guitarists either. And as I said, this is a lesson in why that's the case.

On the other hand, what do you do when someone shows up backstage at a show, just for the hell of it, and you want him or her to jam with ya. I remember reading the first time Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce played together in about 20 years, back in the late 80's, Eric had to borrow a guitar from the guy playing in Jack's band, because he just showed up as a friend, without the intention of playing until Jack invited Eric to join him onstage. Now, would I want to stand in the way of history, by saying "No way, get your own guitar"?! Maybe not. But then, Eric's a pretty sedate kinda guy (or at least he was by the time this particular performance happened), so you're not gonna have to worry about him tossing your guitar across the stage.

What's indefensible?
    Obviously, Prince throwing the guy's guitar in the air.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    What's indefensible? Saying that the guy shouldn't have loaned his guitar to Prince?! I'm sorry, Prince has a guitar collection, a huge one (or at least he did back in the mid 90's), if he needs to use a guitar for a TV appearance, he can use of those instruments.
    What's indefensible is Prince taking someone else's axe and breaking it on purpose. Doesn't matter if it's rare/valuable or not. Period.

What's indefensible is Prince taking someone else's axe and breaking it on purpose. Doesn't matter if it's rare/valuable or not. Period.
    OK, so in other words, you actually agree with me, then? I did say it was a punk ass move.

Banned
    OK, so in other words, you actually agree with me, then? I did say it was a punk ass move.
    Your post (below) seems to imply that the amount of damage was insignificant and that it's the owner's fault for lending the guitar to Prince in the first place...

"For the record, Prince did not "destroy" the guitar. He threw it in the air, and it landed on the ground. He didn't smash the guitar as some seem to be suggesting. I'm not entirely what kind of "massive damage" that would have been caused by such an action, other than maybe denting the finish. Yeah, it was still a punk ass thing to do with someone else's guitar, but then, that's why most musicians don't let other people touch their instruments, other than perhaps a guitar/keyboard/whatever tech."

Your post (below) seems to imply that the amount of damage was insignificant and that it's the owner's fault for lending the guitar to Prince in the first place...
    What part of "punk ass move" do you not understand?! Everyone was carrying on like Prince pulled a full on Pete Townshend maneuver, which he really didn't. I'd still like to know what the exact damage to the instrument was.

Banned
    What part of "punk ass move" do you not understand?! Everyone was carrying on like Prince pulled a full on Pete Townshend maneuver, which he really didn't. I'd still like to know what the exact damage to the instrument was.
    OBE, the factory repaired it and Kirk approved. The guitar is now a collector's item

Now, would I want to stand in the way of history, by saying "No way, get your own guitar"?!
    Prince on Jimmy Fallon is not historic.

Banned
    You're condemning him and condoning him at the same time. There's a picture of the damage on the 2nd page of this thread, but the amount of damage is secondary to the fact that Prince showed no respect for someone else's property. "Punk ass move"? Worse than that.

Banned
    Prince is going to hell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Prince on Jimmy Fallon is not historic.
    I never said that it was. Clapton jamming with Jack Bruce for the first time in 20 years, that was historic. And it wouldn't have happened if Jack's regular guitarist had said "Gee, I dunno if I want Eric playing one of my guitars".

Banned
    I never said that it was. Clapton jamming with Jack Bruce for the first time in 20 years, that was historic. And it wouldn't have happened if Jack's regular guitarist had said "Gee, I dunno if I want Eric playing one of my guitars".
    If I was Jack's regular guitarist I would pay Clapton to break my guitar, and that's what it would take because EC would never do such a punk ass move on his own. That's why EC is going out on top and Prince is trying to revive his career for the umpteenth time.

Interesting thread! I never could find the performance segment though, anybody have a direct link?

I think Prince is a pretty talented guy, but I never was as impressed with his guitar playing as a lot of people seem to be. He's good, but not great imho. However...

Damaging The Roots' guitar player's axe was a most unsavory thing to do. I don't care who you are; asking somebody if you can borrow their guitar is asking for a big favor. When it's a vintage collector's item in good condition, it's a bigger favor. When you return the favor by intentionally risking any kind of damage to it, you're a fuckwad. And so we have another famous person with a bloated sense of entitlement. It's sad when our celebs start believing in their own hype and think they're entitled to behave in ways that would never be accepted from a "nobody."

Now I know to never loan my guitar to Prince.
    Last edited by No Pride; 04-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.

i just suspect Prince wouldn't lend one of his guitars. if he did, he would probably be hella-pissed if it as much as got a scratch on it. dropping it to the floor unceremoniously might get you killed

i'm glad it ultimately worked out for Kirk. obviously, he felt it was damaged enough and was concerned, given his own posts and pictures of the actual damage (which was not inconsiderable, really). so that's good that Prince took care of it (whether or not it was only after some outcry, we can only guess).

i think "punk-ass move" sums it up accurately

Kim

P.S: that animation was hilarious. i take umbrage at the Canadian joke, but it was still pretty damn funny...
    Last edited by Polypet; 04-02-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's a good thing Keith Moon wasn't alive and borrowed the drum set!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Interesting thread! I never could find the performance segment though, anybody have a direct link?

I think Prince is a pretty talented guy, but I never was as impressed with his guitar playing as a lot of people seem to be. He's good, but not great imho. However...

Damaging The Roots' guitar player's axe was a most unsavory thing to do. I don't care who you are; asking somebody if you can borrow their guitar is asking for a big favor. When it's a vintage collector's item in good condition, it's a bigger favor. When you return the favor by intentionally risking any kind of damage to it, you're a fuckwad. And so we have another famous person with a bloated sense of entitlement. It's sad when our celebs start believing in their own hype and think they're entitled to behave in ways that would never be accepted from a "nobody."

Now I know to never loan my guitar to Prince.
    yay Ernie...I totally agree with everything you said (especially the part about Prince's gtr chops, a much ado about nothing proposition in my mind). I remember a link here from a few years back that had him jamming with three or four other players. One guitarist totally ruled, but all anyone mentioned was how a good a player Prince was. He was flashy that's for sure and knew his minor pentatonic pretty well, but he couldn't hold a candle to the plumpish, overlooked, under-approciated studio whiz who shared the stage with him.

In this American Idol era of musical celebrity I suppose that is fitting. Of course there is no doubt he is a first class entertainer and has a wicked amount of talent.

Banned
    I was watching Jimmy Fallon interview Jeff Bridges and Jimmy brought the Prince guitar smashing incident, and the Roots guitarist was still pissed.