Page 131 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 3369

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think it was about getting more out of the real estate value. That's prime commercial property being wasted in most cases.
    That was also a factor.

My brother loves the Stooges and W.C. I can take them or leave them. Never liked the Little Rascals, but have a weird fascination with some of the Z-grade Dead End Kids/East Side Kids/Bowery Boys films.

I watched Masterminds (1949) the other day...poverty row Bowery schtick wherein Huntz Hall turns into a genius prognosticator when his tooth aches from eating lots of candy. Featuring Glenn Strange (fresh from playing the Frankenstein Monster again, in A&C Meet Frankenstein) as a neanderthal brute and Alan Napier (Alfred on Batman in the 60s) as a mad scientist. An enjoyable time-waster that, at a scant 64 minutes, doesn't overstay it's welcome. Which is something that I like about older movies in general. The shorter run times means an easier watch, and not having to deal with the often bloated, unnecessarily long run times of modern fare.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Regarding DST. In my area on the 4th of July fireworks don’t start until close to 10:30PM due to late light. It was really weird when I was in Chicago for the 4th (eastern edge of Central Time) and they start almost 90 minutes earlier even though it is only 2 hours away.
    I moved to northern Illinois last year and it's kinda weird having sunrise earlier in the day than in western Ohio.

You know, back before railroads, noon was when the sun was at its zenith for a particular region.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

When it comes to all those early comedic actors, I think I've liked all of them at some point or other.

My favorite since I was 13 or 14 is Laurel and Hardy. Stan was the brains behind that duo and he still never fails to make me laugh. Even Ollie admitted how great he was. And Ollie was no slouch. Their 3 reeler, The Music Box, was the first winner of the Live Action Comedy Short at the Academy Awards. I watch it probably once a year and it sill makes me laugh. The funniest two bits are when Stan pokes Ollie in the eye and when Ollie falls out a window into a fountain.

Keaton is a close second.

Loved Our Gang/Little Rascals as a kid. A local station used to show them after school. Preferred the earlier ones, which were the Our Gang shorts. Most of what they showed were the Little Rascals, tho, with Spanky, Alfalfa, Darla, Mickey, Froggy and Buckwheat. I do remember seeing some of the earlier ones with Jackie Cooper, Scotty, Wheezer, Stymie, and Chubby.

One of my all time favorite lines from film, be it a feature or short, is when a 3 or 4 year old Spanky answers the phone and the man on the other end says, "who is this?" Spanky says, "I don't know. I can't see ya."

I had brief spells where I was a Chaplin fan, a Marx Bros fan, an Abbott & Costello fan, and a Bowery Boys fan. I always thought Huntz Hall was funny. BTW, I believe the Dead End Kids made their movie debut in an old Humphrey Bogart crime drama. Looking it up, the title is Dead End which, apparently, was an adaptation of the Broadway play. I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember thinking Bogey was uber cool.

My Fields period was probably the shortest lived. And while his physical shtick could be amusing, the thing I liked best about him was when he mumbled insults.

Lloyd never clicked with me.

But I've lost interest in almost all of them. Laurel & Hardy and a few specific Keaton films are the only ones I'll still watch. If you've never seen it, look for the Keaton movie Seven Chances. One of his best, imo.

Come to think of it, I would watch older Three Stooges shorts/movies if they were available to stream. When I was a kid, I never thought they were funny. But those were the later ones with Shemp (second go-round), Joe Besser, and Curly Joe. When I finally saw the earlier ones with Curly, then I understood why they were popular. I don't think there is anything more stupidly funny than the Stooges.

One might say Stan Laurel is. But I don't think Stan Laurel's persona is stupid, as he often comes across. I think he has a child-like innocence and naiveté that just makes him seem stupid.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    ... doesn't overstay it's welcome. Which is something that I like about older movies in general.
    ^^ THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    When it comes to all those early comedic actors, I think I've liked all of them at some point or other.

My favorite since I was 13 or 14 is Laurel and Hardy. Stan was the brains behind that duo and he still never fails to make me laugh. Even Ollie admitted how great he was. And Ollie was no slouch. Their 3 reeler, The Music Box, was the first winner of the Live Action Comedy Short at the Academy Awards. I watch it probably once a year and it sill makes me laugh. The funniest two bits are when Stan pokes Ollie in the eye and when Ollie falls out a window into a fountain.

Keaton is a close second.

Loved Our Gang/Little Rascals as a kid. A local station used to show them after school. Preferred the earlier ones, which were the Our Gang shorts. Most of what they showed were the Little Rascals, tho, with Spanky, Alfalfa, Darla, Mickey, Froggy and Buckwheat. I do remember seeing some of the earlier ones with Jackie Cooper, Scotty, Wheezer, Stymie, and Chubby.

One of my all time favorite lines from film, be it a feature or short, is when a 3 or 4 year old Spanky answers the phone and the man on the other end says, "who is this?" Spanky says, "I don't know. I can't see ya."

I had brief spells where I was a Chaplin fan, a Marx Bros fan, an Abbott & Costello fan, and a Bowery Boys fan. I always thought Huntz Hall was funny. BTW, I believe the Dead End Kids made their movie debut in an old Humphrey Bogart crime drama. Looking it up, the title is Dead End which, apparently, was an adaptation of the Broadway play. I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember thinking Bogey was uber cool.

My Fields period was probably the shortest lived. And while his physical shtick could be amusing, the thing I liked best about him was when he mumbled insults.

Lloyd never clicked with me.

But I've lost interest in almost all of them. Laurel & Hardy and a few specific Keaton films are the only ones I'll still watch. If you've never seen it, look for the Keaton movie Seven Chances. One of his best, imo.

Come to think of it, I would watch older Three Stooges shorts/movies if they were available to stream. When I was a kid, I never thought they were funny. But those were the later ones with Shemp (second go-round), Joe Besser, and Curly Joe. When I finally saw the earlier ones with Curly, then I understood why they were popular. I don't think there is anything more stupidly funny than the Stooges.

One might say Stan Laurel is. But I don't think Stan Laurel's persona is stupid, as he often comes across. I think he has a child-like innocence and naiveté that just makes him seem stupid.
    ^^^

This is me nearly 100%.

I would throw in the old Fleischer Popeye cartoons
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just a heads-up that Northern Exposure is finally streaming, on Amazon Prime. One of my favorite shows of all time. I hear that most of the original music is there; getting the rights to all those songs was a stumbling block.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Just a heads-up that Northern Exposure is finally streaming, on Amazon Prime. One of my favorite shows of all time. I hear that most of the original music is there; getting the rights to all those songs was a stumbling block.
    When we were in Alaska a few years ago we visited the town of Talkeetna which was the inspiration for the town in Northern Exposure. Definitely a unique little town.

That was a very good show. Too bad one of the main characters turned out to be such a crackpot.

I'll leave it at that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Rob Morrow is better known for his role as an FBI agent in Numbers than his role in Northern Exposure.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

^^^
    This is me nearly 100%.
    Out of curiosity, what part do you differ in opinion?

I would throw in the old Fleischer Popeye cartoons
    That's another thing I didn't really care for at first until I saw the early ones. I haven't seen many, but I have seen more than a few and, yeah, those were great. I loved how Popeye would often mutter under his breath.

I wonder what changed, as far as the early ones being great vs the latter ones being meh. Could it be when they changed Popeye from being in the Coast Guard to being in the Navy? I mean, that would explain it.

^^^ It was when the production changed from Fleischer Bros. to UAP and becam blahnd.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Regarding DST. In my area on the 4th of July fireworks don’t start until close to 10:30PM due to late light. It was really weird when I was in Chicago for the 4th (eastern edge of Central Time) and they start almost 90 minutes earlier even though it is only 2 hours away.
    In my area 4th of July fireworks start in early June

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Out of curiosity, what part do you differ in opinion?

That's another thing I didn't really care for at first until I saw the early ones. I haven't seen many, but I have seen more than a few and, yeah, those were great. I loved how Popeye would often mutter under his breath.

I wonder what changed, as far as the early ones being great vs the latter ones being meh. Could it be when they changed Popeye from being in the Coast Guard to being in the Navy? I mean, that would explain it.
    Harold Lloyd. In fact, I'm considering played "Safety Last" when it's my turn for movie night. It's only 74 minutes so I need at least one short. I'm considering a lIttle Rascals one.

The later Popeye's were King features and not the same. The Fleischer Studio was every bit as good as Disney back in the day. They are know for inventing the setback camera effects, which are super-cool.

Fleischer made Popeyes into WWII. The character's first appearance was actually in a Betty Boop cartoon, from the same studio.

Fleischer also made the best Superman cartoons, bar none. They're fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Here in the desert, fireworks displays sometimes get canceled altogether. July 4th is the hottest time of the year, with temps spiking between 115 and 122. The high risk of wildfires puts the kibosh on some shows. Another issue we have is the display at Tempe Town Lake and Beach Park. The 202 freeway runs right next to the lake, which is really a dry river bed turned into a giant swimming pool. Many boneheads will stop right there on the freeway to watch the fireworks. Particularly dangerous because that's just beyond where the freeway curves from south to east.

When it comes to the great, comedic actors of the 30s, 40s, 50s The Three Stooges are my favorites. I guess I like Ricky and Lucy too. When Lucy would make fun of Ricky's accent I'd bust a rib.

Harold Lloyd. In fact, I'm considering played "Safety Last" when it's my turn for movie night. It's only 74 minutes so I need at least one short. I'm considering a lIttle Rascals one.

The later Popeye's were King features and not the same. The Fleischer Studio was every bit as good as Disney back in the day. They are know for inventing the setback camera effects, which are super-cool.

Fleischer made Popeyes into WWII. The character's first appearance was actually in a Betty Boop cartoon, from the same studio.

Fleischer also made the best Superman cartoons, bar none. They're fantastic!
    Oh man, I have a collection of those Superman cartoons. The drawings and animation are great. The color is vivid. You know, the S on his chest is different than what we usually see. Also, how many films did West and W.C. Fields do together? May have been a good team.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Also, how many films did West and W.C. Fields do together?
    One: My Little Chickadee.

You know, Margaret Hamilton was in that movie, as well, altho she kinda reprises her role of "Almira Gulch', from The Wizard of Oz.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember but she also used to do Maxwell House coffee commercials in the '70s:

And check out a young David Caruso.

I'm watching Moe, Larry, and Coily. Moe is leading Coily around with a leash like a dog. Hilarious.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think it was about getting more out of the real estate value. That's prime commercial property being wasted in most cases.
    ^More than likely this^ Most Drive-In theaters were on the outskirts of towns when they opened for business and eventually, over time, municipalities would expand, encompassing said property, making such a thing implausible. Remember, the Elvis Presley estate was formerly a horse ranch far outside the Memphis city limits. It's now surrounded by commercial development. Expansion happens. The old drive-in theater in Bellingham WA is a condo, surrounded by commerce and other condos. Besides, drive-in theaters were overrated anyway.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I loved Drive Inn theaters. There is one on the Quebec side of Ottawa.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Some 90's (not sure if that's vintage) cartoon TV specials had really impressive animation. I love this shot from Night Ghoulery (Tiny Toons). I mean, check out those hips.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    ^More than likely this^ Most Drive-In theaters were on the outskirts of towns when they opened for business and eventually, over time, municipalities would expand, encompassing said property, making such a thing implausible. Remember, the Elvis Presley estate was formerly a horse ranch far outside the Memphis city limits. It's now surrounded by commercial development. Expansion happens. The old drive-in theater in Bellingham WA is a condo, surrounded by commerce and other condos. Besides, drive-in theaters were overrated anyway.
    The one still operating drive-in I know of in the Phoenix area has no real estate value. It belongs to the Salt River Pima indigenous Nation. No way would the Nation sell their land to real estate investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Some 90's (not sure if that's vintage) cartoon TV specials had really impressive animation. I love this shot from Night Ghoulery (Tiny Toons). I mean, check out those hips.
    Am I alone in looking at that clip and seeing the young Nichelle Nichols?

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Check out those eyes