Page 21 of 235 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Seattle: Nursing home staff spread coronavirus to other facilities, CDC investigation finds

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN213319

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-nursing-homes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Seattle: Nursing home staff spread coronavirus to other facilities, CDC investigation finds

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN213319

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-nursing-homes
    This is not a surprise, the health care industry has long used nurses to visit multiple facilities to cut down on costs and boost profits. My wife's job as a hospice nurse involves her visiting typically three facilities a day to see patients on that companies plan. You can have people dealing with multiple providers in the same facility.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This is not a surprise, the health care industry has long used nurses to visit multiple facilities to cut down on costs and boost profits. My wife's job as a hospice nurse involves her visiting typically three facilities a day to see patients on that companies plan. You can have people dealing with multiple providers in the same facility.
    Behaviour is the key.

In Italy Bergamo and Lodi are neighbouring counties.
    In Bergamo they are driving the dead to crematories outside the county due to capacity-problems.
    In Lodi there is not nearly as many infected due to a social shut down policy in Lodi

Screenshot_2020-03-19 To italienske provinser håndterede coronavirus helt forskelligt - og det s.jpg

And wash your hands ( Bro! )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Learn how to wash your hands (if you can focus):

Make sure you dont get infected - stay at home.
    Make sure you dont pass it on to someone - stay at home.
    What if your wife is a hospital RN like mine? The only thing we have going for us is luck (preferably good).
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ who is that?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What if your wife is a hospital RN like mine? The only thing we have going for us is luck (preferably good).
    Their risk is bigger, on the other hand they are educated for this situation (procedures, discipline, masks, etc.).
    If you americans follow the rules we do, she will quarantine herself typically 14 days if there is a risk (=if she has met somebody infected), and if one of her colleges get infected, everybody working with this person will be quarantined, and patients will be isolated.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 03-19-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ who is that?
    Dr. House - Hugh Laurie

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Their risk is bigger, on the other hand they are educated for this situation (procedures, discipline, masks, etc.).
    If you americans follow the rules we do, she will quarantine herself typically 14 days if there is a risk (if she has met somebody infected), and if one her colleges get infected everybody working with this person will be quarantined, and patiens will be isolated.
    My wife, who is a nurse in the USA, has been self quarantining for 14 days, they are calling her back in now that that is over.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My wife, who is a nurse in the USA, has been self quarantining for 14 days, they are calling her back in now that that is over.
    Best of luck, and Thanks to her. ( and you )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ^^ Yes! Big tip of the hat to all health care workers. They are our front line in this war.

Banned
    My wife is a clinical pharmacist and so works at a busy hospital daily and things are heating up and getting pretty crazy there.

So as expected, we are seeing a large increase in reported cases here in the US as testing becomes more available. Moreover, a C.D.C. report found that 38 percent of those who required hospitalization in the U.S. were aged 20 to 54. I hope this is a lesson to people who know nothing about sampling statistics, epidemiology, virology etc. who nevertheless make groundless statements about this being like the flu or we will see evidence of the curve flattening within 3 days based on erroneous assumptions and wholly unreliable reporting. (Thanks to the moderators for taking that dangerous misinformation down).

Time to hunker down, help our neighbors any way we can, demand our leadership get on a war footing to provide facilities, material and personnel to address this. The good news is China reports no new community spread cases today for the first time. So we can and will defeat this and return to normal life, but the time for guessing and uninformed pontification has passed. I hope to heck that we come out of this with lessons learned and with better prepared governments with rational priorities. We will need it for the crisis that will eventually dwarf the present one - global climate change. Of course the delusional and corrupt will continue do their best to F that up as well until it affects them personally and they have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Moreover, a C.D.C. report found that 38 percent of those who required hospitalization in the U.S. were aged 20 to 54. I hope this is a lesson to people who know nothing about sampling statistics, epidemiology, virology etc. who nevertheless make groundless statements about this being like the flu [...]
    Two years ago, a childhood friend of mine passed away due to the flu. He was only 35. On the surface that might sound surprising, but he lived alone and did not take care of himself; he had also been battling against alcoholism for some years, so his immune system was probably compromised as well. Had he gone to the hospital he might have survived, but for whatever reason he didn't go and he evidently died in his sleep. His brother found him at his home in bed.

That's the thing about statistics: They give you the amount of cases, but not much in the way of explanation. Anyone with an underlying condition or compromised immunity can be at a higher risk with any viral infection -- but especially one that affects the lungs (like COVID-19). That may seem a little scary, but the lesson (I believe) is to take care of yourself and don't be afraid to seek medical help when you need it. Suffice to say, I take the flu much more seriously than I used to.

I find it 'Funny' that the crisis is declared over in China, and claimed isolated only to the Wuhan area. No incidents elsewhere.

Banned
    ^^^ Yes, I think we need to be skeptical of reports coming out of China. I hope the curve is starting to bend down there. We shall see.

The problem is that they simply don't have the supplies. My daughter is a nurse's aid (soon to be a nurse if her school opens back up), and she was telling us how they are, essentially, rationing face masks and are unable to follow standard procedures.

If only we would have seen this coming in the US. Oh wait, we did, didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ Yes, I think we need to be skeptical of reports coming out of China.
    Especially since they kicking US journalists out of the country.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

A podcast I like has posted a recent (taped last Friday I think) phone call from an American who moved last year to China. Although he needed to be cautious about what he said by phone on some topics, it is a good listen.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/love...f-coronavirus/

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema
    I actually had a package delivered by FedEx yesterday and was a bit amused that for once, I'd actually be here to sign for the damned thing But the delivery guy set down the package, rang the bell and did some serious Chariots of Fire cosplay because by the time I walked the 10 feet to my door he was already driving away.
    Both Fedex and UPS have been doing that here for years, long before anyone heard of coronavirus. I think it's because they are paid by delivery, not by hour.
    Frog in boiling water

I'm a HS distance coach, and not meeting with my runners and this whole hysteria is unprecedented. The top boys are getting their training in, but the new kids are suffering during this period of growth. Hope your kids are handling the changes well. Ya, letsrun.com has it negative sides for sure.
    My son is as well. He lives and breathes XC (Hinsdale Central HS in suburban Chicago)- and this is hurting him- he normally runs 3500 miles per year, but of course not now and not during the time his daughter was so ill. But he ran for York HS... and rojo and wejo are hideous human beings. The could do something to clean up their site but monetizing it is all that matters to them. I loath them!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    My wife retired two months ago as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (a primary care provider) after more than 30 years. Talk about timing.

I am a Clinical Social Worker within a large health system. I work in an acute psychiatric day treatment program with teens. I am not eligible to work remotely and could be sent to work anywhere in the system including the ER.

Daughter is an RN in a primary care setting. I worry about all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Both Fedex and UPS have been doing that here for years, long before anyone heard of coronavirus. I think it's because they are paid by delivery, not by hour.
    I asked my regular UPS guy why he was always running from and back to the truck. He told me they installed timers in every truck and they monitor how long they take at each spot.
    Sure enough I greeted him at the truck as he stopped and I could hear the clicking of the timer.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Massive Bangladesh coronavirus prayer gathering sparks outcry

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3954/mas...ry-doc-1pz9ny2

Here in Texas, there has been an outcry over many of the megachurches refusing to cancel their services- because, well, God, y'know, will protect...

https://www.fox4news.com/news/worshi...virus-concerns
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.