Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kavus Torabi - Hip To The Jag

So I think I have heard this album enough times to get a few thoughts on why I think its so great...and I do think it's great....actually phenomenal. Sometimes great music works with the cerebral side of us, sometimes the artistic side, sometimes the passionate/emotional side. Sometimes you come across an album that hits upon all of those things, and I believe that Jag does that for me. I put this on the hifi when I first got it, and was doing stuff around the house as it played, but that was not the way to approach this album. I was also in a fairly bad way when Covid first hit, so I don't think my heart was truly in it to be honest. It wasn't until I heard it in headphones did I realize all of the immense detail that Kavus put into it....reverbs, delays, sound effects, sound treatments, panning, and a universe of other intricate sounds, some of which were created by his guitar, but not in the normal way. This was the most revealing way into this album for me - I needed to become entranced into the soundworld that Kavus intended, and once I did, it was pretty incredible.

I dare not compare what albums or artists this album 'sounds like', because that would be doing it a big disservice, and it's unique anyway. However, this album gives me a similar experience to the sonic world as when I hear a great album by Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Gong, Oldfield, Sea Nymphs, etc....i think you get the point. You experience this album - it's a journey - you don't just listen to it. There were some moments that I felt like I was in an old ship out at sea during a crazy hurricane about to die(!), other times I'm floating in some tranquil place that I don't ever want to leave. Like Indian classical music or traditional Irish music which is built upon a drone with a tanpura or Uilleann pipes, Kavus uses the harmonium in a similar manner as the basis for creating the backbone for some of these compositions, and in some ways it is the most important aspect of this album along with the vocals (which BTW are superb!!!!....his best ever). If you dig drone-type soundscape albums, you must hear this.

I could go on and on and try to describe the tunes themselves, but hearing them is a must and I can't truly do them justice. I shit you not - this album has the power to bring one to tears if you let it - not for any particular reason - but just because I feel that it is immensely powerful and beautiful (and frightening). I don't buy a ton of music these days for a multitude of reasons, but Hip to the Jag is and most likely will be my album of the year. I have many albums in my collection that are in the "I don't care if I sell this" pile, and some in the "I will never, EVER sell this masterpiece" pile of classics, and this is absolutely in the latter pile - a modern classic, a gem, a true piece of art, an intimate album made by a tremendously talented guy. I truly believe that everyone on this board is doing themselves a disservice by at least not trying one or two listens to this, and I mean real intense dedicated late night listens. These are my own personal thoughts and you may not agree with them, but there you go anyway. Thank you Kavus for an incredible achievement. 10/10.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I still believe in you....

Well I like the album but not as much as mr. chalkpie
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I am somewhere close to Mr Chalkpie on this one, it’s a very moving and emotional recording, one to sit back and listen to alone when the outside world is still. Daevid was right to nominate Kavus to lead the new Gong, he possesses a special musical vision that is both unique yet follows the traditions of the great man himself.

I wonder who the departed friend and musicians Kavus references in “You Broke My Fall“ in “the ghosts who rattle their chains” lyric are? Perhaps he can enlighten us on one of his visits?

Hi. Thank you for sharing such kind thoughts about my album.

I’m a little reluctant to bump this, inasmuch as it might look somewhat self-congratulatory, but I am all too aware that it is no longer the 1970’s and, much to my eternal frustration, I am not Jimmy Page. I realise we’re way beyond mystique these days.

It’s really something to read these thoughts, especially as I enjoy this forum so much. I’m much more a snooper than a contributor these days. When I joined in 2009, I weighed in on a plethora of topics from Henry Cow and Yes to Melvins and Autechre but, a decade later, I have nothing new to add so just tend to follow threads now. It feels a little weird engaging a lot in a thread -that I started- about my own music! This probably has more to do with my undecided relationship with self-publicity and social media. I do it because it sells records (it really does! Every time I do a post on FB/ IG/ Twitter, I see a spike in sales) but I’m wary of overdoing it and looking like a salesman. I largely quit social media for a while but re-engaged when I put this album out.

Anyway, I digress. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who’s bought and enjoyed Hip To The Jag and supported me in my various musical ventures. HTTJ is currently my favourite thing I’ve done, although if that’s not the case about one’s latest thing then there’s something wrong! It’s certainly the closest, so far, to me thinking ‘Yes, that’s what I meant’.

Regarding the ghosts clanging their chains in You Broke My Fall, well, I don’t really like getting into the specifics about my lyrics but in this case the references are pretty obvious (to me) and no great secret so I have no real qualms about sharing them. Getting to middle age has meant the passing of my peers and friends is becoming an increasingly more common occurrence, especially given our, shall we say, lifestyle choices. The lyric refers to quite a number of friends, especially a guy called Justin Lish, about whom Cemetery Of Light was written. An extraordinary drummer and total visionary who left us in 2015, along with Daevid Allen and Nick Marsh (from Flesh For Lulu) and an engineer/ musician pal who moved to London with my band in the early 90’s called Mike Quayle (you won’t have heard of him but he engineered the Cardiacs live Garage Concerts albums) Also, the heartbreaking events of 2008 mean that the collapse and ongoing health problems of Tim Smith are never far from almost everything I write about these days. As the single most devastating thing I’ve experienced, I can’t seem to avoid that.

Anyway, thanks once again for the love. I have a few more (collaborative) things bubbling under which will hopefully see the light of day this year and am looking forward to getting back into some new Knifeworld when we’re able to do that again.

Finally, I recently contributed some gliss guitar and a guitar solo to a song on the forthcoming Tim Bowness album. It also features some singing from Knifeworld’s Melanie Woods. You can hear it here.

https://youtu.be/NMS_dfkZ3ws
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 07-05-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    It’s really something to read these thoughts, especially as I enjoy this forum so much. I’m much more a snooper than a contributor these days. When I joined in 2009, I weighed in on a plethora of topics from Henry Cow and Yes to Melvins and Autechre but, a decade later, I have nothing new to add so just tend to follow threads now. It feels a little weird engaging a lot in a thread -that I started- about my own music! This probably has more to do with my undecided relationship with self-publicity and social media. I do it because it sells records (it really does! Every time I do a post on FB/ IG/ Twitter, I see a spike in sales) but I’m wary of overdoing it and looking like a salesman. I largely quit social media for a while but re-engaged when I put this album out.
    Well, I love reading this kind of post, which is one of the reasons I come back to PE almost every day. It's also thanks to a thread on this board that I discovered your music. You don't sound like a salesman, and probably never will here.
    In these complex times it is valuable for listeners to have this kind of interaction with artists, where they feel close enough to ask questions and write about their feelings without pretending to be the artist's close friends. Some of the mystique may be gone, but it may be for the better if we can have some reasonably close and respectful interaction.
    And congratulations for your contribution to Tim Bowness' new album. Autobuy for me.

Thank you for the response Kavus, your insights are always worthwhile, and please do keep plugging your wares, albeit in your understated and low key way. You have been building an impressive body of work for many years, all linked by some thematic quality of left field excellence. I’m looking forward to the next instalment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Getting to middle age has meant the passing of my peers and friends is becoming an increasingly more common occurrence, especially given our, shall we say, lifestyle choices.
    It's a melancholy album, but none the worse for that. Certainly of both our fraught time now and our time of life.

I think it's your finest too, Kavus. Thanks!

- Nick.

I've been spinning this CD a lot, it's wonderful and will absolutely be on my year-end Best Of 2020 list.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I didn't realize that Kavus is also about to be an author now - article in the Guardian about his new book with Steve Davis.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...rong-interview

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I didn't realize that Kavus is also about to be an author now - article in the Guardian about his new book with Steve Davis.

Very 'interesting', so to speak. Thanks for sharing
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

I've been listening to HttJ a lot since getting my copy a couple weeks ago, and I have to agree with those who say it hits many a sweet spot; for me it's showing all the hallmarks of a deep, long-term favorite. As Chalkpie says above, I also generally try to avoid comparisons, but it has struck me each time I've listened that there is something in some of the textures that are created that bring Olias of Sunhillow to my mind. For me, this is definitely not a bad thing, and there is so much that is different in the overall tone and tenor of the album that it's really nothing more than an interesting vibe I get at a couple points while listening. It really is a beautiful album.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post

Ordered this today!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Seems like a good place for this:

“The Utopia Strong, Gong and Knifeworld frontman Kavus Torabi has hooked up with Karda Estra's Richard Wileman for a brand new studio album, Heaven's Sun, which will be released through Torabi's Believers Roast label on June 2.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/kav...q7q4mtgwb2NJEM
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sounds interesting
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I'm in!

Cool shite!

Autobuy for me!
    David

Daft levels of excitement about this! Just release it now FFS.

Whilst working with Richard a while back I was lucky enough to hear it...and it's a really gorgeous and very unique album.

Matt.

https://torabi-wileman.bandcamp.com/album/heavens-sun

A fever dream, journeying into the hinterland of consciousness, a shifting psychedelic reverie though folk, sound collage, chamber rock, musique concrète and song.

New songs and instrumentals plus remixed Torabi/Wileman Karda Estra collaborations all coalesce to form the album 'Heaven's Sun' - a cosmic artefact comprised of two epic length portmanteau mysteries: 'Particles Of Light' and 'Derelict Creations'.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    https://torabi-wileman.bandcamp.com/album/heavens-sun

A fever dream, journeying into the hinterland of consciousness, a shifting psychedelic reverie though folk, sound collage, chamber rock, musique concrète and song.

New songs and instrumentals plus remixed Torabi/Wileman Karda Estra collaborations all coalesce to form the album 'Heaven's Sun' - a cosmic artefact comprised of two epic length portmanteau mysteries: 'Particles Of Light' and 'Derelict Creations'.
    I'll buy as soon as the digital download is available on BC.

^ I pre-ordered the CD and apparently it has shipped!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Whilst working with Richard a while back I was lucky enough to hear it...and it's a really gorgeous and very unique album.

Matt.
    I cannot wait
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Had my first couple through-listens to Heaven's Sun this morning. Lots of cool textures and sounds, some expected, some not. The lead vocals from both are excellent, and of differing qualities so as to keep things interesting. While I like it immediately, it's also obvious that it will stand repeated listenings to unravel all the details. It really doesn't strike me as an at-a-distance collaboration, but as two very unified, very cohesive sectional epics. Groovy and yet completely contemporary.
    David

Kavus hanging out with Terry Riley at a Gong/Steve Hillage Band gig in Japan last week.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx