Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elder - Omens

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wouldn't say distinct. This record is great but they've really incorporated much of the modern Motorpsycho sound. Three of the tracks here really sound like outtakes from Little Lucid Moments.
    I’ll buy that. Striving to be Motorpsycho is not a bad thing in my book.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I see your point, but I don't agree. Outtakes? I've been following the band from the start, and this is still Elder, the guitar-bass combo is very characteristic to my ears. Yes, the sound of the instruments and voice is clearer or more polished, and maybe this is what you are referring to - but I don't see any other significant change in their music. Unless you suggest they were always some Motorpsycho clones.
    Anyway, I am not a huge Motorpsycho fan, and in terms of dramatic building and evoking feelings I don't see that strong of a connection between the two bands. The goal to be achieved is different in my opinion, despite the resemblance in means.

No, I'm referring to composition and arrangement, rather than tone or production. Coalescence sums up what I mean well; it has all the structure of a cut from any early Kapstad-era Motorpsycho record.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

You may well be right. From the little Motorpsycho that I've heard, I wouldn't compare Elder to them. But again, I'm not that familiar with the Motorpsycho catalog. It's also possible that Elder came up with their sound separately, anyways.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It's also possible that Elder came up with their sound separately, anyways.

Neil
    I don't think Marco (and I know I'm not) is suggesting that Elder is intentionally aping or cloning Motorpyscho's sound. As a huge fan of both bands (I've got all the albums from both and a whole bunch of related stuff), there are a lot of musical touchstones. Heck, there is even a business connection: both are distributed by Stickman Records in Europe. There's a chance they've run into each other, a greater chance they're at least familiar with each other. But, again, each band really has its own identity. While both bands have followed different paths--and it's fair to say Motorpsycho has followed nearly every path a band can!--I do believe there is enough overlap to warrant a comparison. In fact, I think Elder fans should find a lot to like in Motorpsycho and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I don't think Marco (and I know I'm not) is suggesting that Elder is intentionally aping or cloning Motorpyscho's sound. As a huge fan of both bands (I've got all the albums from both and a whole bunch of related stuff), there are a lot of musical touchstones. Heck, there is even a business connection: both are distributed by Stickman Records in Europe. There's a chance they've run into each other, a greater chance they're at least familiar with each other. But, again, each band really has its own identity. While both bands have followed different paths--and it's fair to say Motorpsycho has followed nearly every path a band can!--I do believe there is enough overlap to warrant a comparison. In fact, I think Elder fans should find a lot to like in Motorpsycho and vice versa.
    Sounds good. So, as someone who is intimidated by the number of Motorpsycho different styles of releases...and knowing that I'm a big fan of the last three Elder full-length albums, could you recommend a Motorpsycho album I could start with?

Neil

Aw man. That’s like asking me to pick which of my dogs I like better.

Here Be Monsters is an album I can always come back to. The huge, sludgy epic title track, the H.P. Lovecraft cover, the killer instrumental, the California dreaming. I’m not much of a lyric guy, but there’s a lot on this album that resonates with me, and of course the band is heavy and tight.

The Crucible is the best of the newer albums. It’s three epic tunes. Lots of far out soloing and some oddly VdGG-like moments (I’m not completely crazy for thinking that—probably).

Heavy Metral Fruit!

New Elder arrived in my mailbox today. Lookin' forward to diving in...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Aw man. That’s like asking me to pick which of my dogs I like better.

Here Be Monsters is an album I can always come back to. The huge, sludgy epic title track, the H.P. Lovecraft cover, the killer instrumental, the California dreaming. I’m not much of a lyric guy, but there’s a lot on this album that resonates with me, and of course the band is heavy and tight.

The Crucible is the best of the newer albums. It’s three epic tunes. Lots of far out soloing and some oddly VdGG-like moments (I’m not completely crazy for thinking that—probably).
    Thanks.

One spin in, and I'm really digging the new Elder. A fair amount of keys, especially 'tron, and some strong melodies to go with the heavy psychedelic crunch sit nicely together, IMO.

Neil

https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2023/...YKr2d1KB3lqLTE

"Nicholas DiSalvo (Elder, Delving) and Michael Risberg (Elder) alongside colleagues Ingwer Boysen (High Fighter) and Ben Lubin (Lawns), have announced a new band, Weite!

"Weite was initially conceived as a one-off winter project by Boysen, who contacted DiSalvo and Risberg with the idea to write and record a record within a week. Having played together in DiSalvo’s live band for his project Delving, a certain musical chemistry was already apparent. The three recruited Berlin-based English guitarist Lubin to round out the quartet and proceeded to bunker in for a week of intense songwriting."

As far as I'm concerned, DiSalvo can do no wrong at this point in his career. Even better, he seems incredibly driven to make as much music as possible.

All that is to say: Bring it. I'm in.

Yep I'm in as well. Anything DiSalvo is involved with is an autobuy for me

West Coast tour begins this week:

https://beholdtheelder.com/tour/

If you get a chance, go. It’s quite the show.

West Coast tour begins this week:

https://beholdtheelder.com/tour/

If you get a chance, go. It’s quite the show.
    I'm seeing them on May 4th, with 2 opening bands. Elder probably won't come on til nearly midnight.

^Yeah. It was definitely a late show when I saw them last summer. Ruby the Hatchet opened. They’re worth a listen.

^Yeah. It was definitely a late show when I saw them last summer. Ruby the Hatchet opened. They’re worth a listen.
    Wow, that's a concert package. I love Ruby.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

More info on DiSalvo’s other, other, other band, Weite.

https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2023/...gi5As3HeS2zpb0

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm seeing them on May 4th, with 2 opening bands. Elder probably won't come on til nearly midnight.
    The show last night in Cleveland Heights sold out. I didn't see the opener, as there was a bit of confusion regarding start time. RtH was very doomy Stoner Rock, I would guess, and I was only lukewarm on most of their material, but "Last Saga" was pretty great. Elder was heavy AF, heavier than I was expecting, but put on a high energy show that had the packed-in crowd head banging throughout the show. Fun stuff. The show was over by 11, which is a different MO for the Grog Shop since the last time I was there, 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The omens were good for Elder, and they're back with an excellent, new album - I would say their best so far. Nick di Salvo likes long, complex compositions and in Omens he presents us with 5 of those 10 minutes long epics. Di Salvo is a master of the heavy, guitar riff and the music gains its strength from the continuous double, or triple guitar wall sound. But this time around they have added a lot of keyboards, and combine force with beautiful, atmospheric passages that demonstrate a great sensitivity at work.

What to say, I love it! It has this romantic naivete that the good old 70's bands used to have, "let's throw a ton of riffs in there, let's be dramatic and wild, let's see what happens if we add some old fashioned moogs and mellotrons". A great band, one of the few that remain relevant in our days in this sort of heavy, progressive music.

So, how do you like it?
    I just heard of the band for the first time about ten minutes before clicking on this thread. They are playing here this week. Go figure that timing. Funny, I've had another weird coincidence with Queen. The last three weeks I've pulled up to this certain bar(I deliver LV Weekly mag) and they have a garage door that opens up next to the bar. All three weeks it's been Queen when I get out of my car and today it was '39. Not your typical Queen song to hear in public.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I just heard of the band for the first time about ten minutes before clicking on this thread. They are playing here this week. Go figure that timing. Funny, I've had another weird coincidence with Queen. The last three weeks I've pulled up to this certain bar(I deliver LV Weekly mag) and they have a garage door that opens up next to the bar. All three weeks it's been Queen when I get out of my car and today it was '39. Not your typical Queen song to hear in public.
    They're a very good live band - saw them some 4 years ago. If you are into this sort of music consider to attend.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    STOP RECOMMENDING MUSIC I'LL LIKE!

I'm broke

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    STOP RECOMMENDING MUSIC I'LL LIKE!

I'm broke
    I can’t keep up with listening to and digesting it all!

Oh. And here’s an update on Weite (via Stickman):

“Weite, a new band featuring some familiar and some fresh faces from the Stickman catalog - Nick DiSalvo (Elder, delving), Michael Risberg (Elder) alongside Ingwer Boysen (High Fighter, Downfall of Gaia) and Ben Lubin (Lawns) - have announced their first shows ever.

“The quartet wrote and recorded their debut album Assemblage (out 14.07.) in the darkness of the pandemic winter of 2021, intending to make it a one-off recording project. However, it quickly became apparent that the chemistry was breeding something special warranting further development. Trading places and instruments frequently, the first collection of songs on Assemblage is a free experimentation with psychedelic rock, krautrock, and some progressive elements. Fans of Elder's Gold & Silver Sessions or DiSalvo's solo project delving will feel right at home.

“Get tickets now for the band's rare upcoming gigs via the links below:

“13.07. Berlin (DE), Kantine am Berghain - Album release party
    14.07. Erfurt (DE), Stoned from the Underground
    15.07. Hamburg (DE), Hafenklang (Goldener Salon)
    16.07. Pleszew (PL), Red Smoke Festival”

Sorry if the links didn’t transfer over. I’m a Luddite.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can’t keep up with listening to and digesting it all!

Oh. And here’s an update on Weite (via Stickman):

“Weite, a new band featuring some familiar and some fresh faces from the Stickman catalog - Nick DiSalvo (Elder, delving), Michael Risberg (Elder) alongside Ingwer Boysen (High Fighter, Downfall of Gaia) and Ben Lubin (Lawns) - have announced their first shows ever.

“The quartet wrote and recorded their debut album Assemblage (out 14.07.) in the darkness of the pandemic winter of 2021, intending to make it a one-off recording project. However, it quickly became apparent that the chemistry was breeding something special warranting further development. Trading places and instruments frequently, the first collection of songs on Assemblage is a free experimentation with psychedelic rock, krautrock, and some progressive elements. Fans of Elder's Gold & Silver Sessions or DiSalvo's solo project delving will feel right at home.

“Get tickets now for the band's rare upcoming gigs via the links below:

“13.07. Berlin (DE), Kantine am Berghain - Album release party
    14.07. Erfurt (DE), Stoned from the Underground
    15.07. Hamburg (DE), Hafenklang (Goldener Salon)
    16.07. Pleszew (PL), Red Smoke Festival”

Sorry if the links didn’t transfer over. I’m a Luddite.
    It's going to be interesting to hear that album! Do you know how to pronounce the band's name?

"delving" is a great band name!("Delving" - with a capital D - would be a great name for a really fantasy/fairy/elves Power Metal band, because it has "elving" right there in the name. And there are some REALLY fantasy/fairy/elves Power Metal bands!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-30-2023 at 11:05 PM.

^ Can’t say I do. Figuring it was a German word—Elder started in America but all but one member ex-patted themselves to Germany some years back—I did throw it into a German to English translator. “Width” is what came up in English. Not sure how accurate that is.

Elder were amazing last night in Toronto. Great set, atmosphere, presence. This band is at the top of their game, and the crowd was really into it. Howling Giant were also excellent.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Howling Giant were also excellent.

Neil
    Howling Giant and King Buffalo along with Elder are 3 bands in the stoner rock realm I've really taken to over the years. Not a clunker in the bunch as far as I'm concerned