Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elder - Omens

Elder - Omens

The omens were good for Elder, and they're back with an excellent, new album - I would say their best so far. Nick di Salvo likes long, complex compositions and in Omens he presents us with 5 of those 10 minutes long epics. Di Salvo is a master of the heavy, guitar riff and the music gains its strength from the continuous double, or triple guitar wall sound. But this time around they have added a lot of keyboards, and combine force with beautiful, atmospheric passages that demonstrate a great sensitivity at work.

What to say, I love it! It has this romantic naivete that the good old 70's bands used to have, "let's throw a ton of riffs in there, let's be dramatic and wild, let's see what happens if we add some old fashioned moogs and mellotrons". A great band, one of the few that remain relevant in our days in this sort of heavy, progressive music.

So, how do you like it?

I LOVE this band. 'Lore' and Reflections of a Floating World' are brilliant prog/stoner/metal (or whatever the hell ya call it ). I've been listening to 'Omens' all week and my first impression was "wow...vocals are very different" and it put me off a bit if I'm being honest. Musically it's incredible, lots of creativity in there with long tunes, great hooks, great atmosphere...always keeping my interest. Took a few listens to appreciate the new vocal style, but I think it works well with the sound.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^^^ Scott, your experience is similar to mine.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I don't actually notice much, if any, difference from the vocals on Omens and Reflections of a Floating World. Strange.

neil

My copy is on its way from Armageddon.

I’ve liked all their releases thus far. I quite like the direction the moved into with their EP from last year, The Gold and Silver Sessions. I’ll be happy if this album moves further in that direction.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Love this band too, but "Omens" has been a bit of a let down as compared with the stunning "Reflections of a Floating World". At least it was my first impression upon hearing it. Each consecutive listening improved a bit my liking of it; however, it does not stand a chance to get to the point I would like it as much as Reflections. It seems there have been some changes in the line-up so perhaps it will get better ... I am hoping.

If you like Reflections ... you should try out the album by the Polish band Weedpecker - III
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I've got it playing right now after downloading from Bandcamp. Yes, the vox are different but it still sounds like Elder. It will take a while to absorb and rank this one. Fortunately, I have the time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I did order one of their older albums which I missed and I have to say I was disappointed in the quality control. No other way to say it but the vinyl was filthy. I was able to clean it up for the most part but the overall sound is just fair. No matter, these things will crop up from time to time. Can't wait to hear all of Omens.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    If you like Reflections ... you should try out the album by the Polish band Weedpecker - III
    Awful band name, but yeah man, this album is awesome. One of my favorites of the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Awful band name, but yeah man, this album is awesome. One of my favorites of the last 5 years.
    Same here ... Weedpecker seems to follow the footsteps of Elder so can't wait for their next release. Hope the wait won't be too long.

Well, I think it's a great band name, and when I mentioned it to my girlfriend, she does too, lol.

neil

Elder are great. My favorite album of theirs is Dead Roots Stirring but the new one sounds promising on first spin.

Just heard the s/t album. I heard a couple tracks from Omens too. Almost a different band.

Spun this again today. It's really good, isn't it.

Lots of layers.

I'd love to have a chance to hear some of these songs live.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Spun this again today. It's really good, isn't it.

Lots of layers.

I'd love to have a chance to hear some of these songs live.
    Yes, a very cool album, that does reward repeated spins. I was very much looking forward to seeing them live for the first time in Toronto, in a fairly small club. Covid took care of that, of course.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just heard the s/t album. I heard a couple tracks from Omens too. Almost a different band.
    The first album is a band trying to work out their sound and style, not representative of what they developed over the next couple of albums. "Lore", "Dead Roots Stirring" and "Reflections of a Floating World" are just stunning, and "Omens" may be a half-star below them.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Agreed, an album that is damn near perfect, but yes...that name...

Personally I'm loving the new Elder album. As Yves remarked to me directly, it's slightly less crunchy than previous albums, but for me what it perhaps slightly lacks in crunch it more than makes up for in depth. Definitely one for either top-notch headphones or top-quality speakers.

Picked up the Eldovar album recently.

Elder fans definitely need this. It is excellent. Heavy and Elder-y in places. Spacey Floyd and gentle psych elsewhere. Really nice blending.

DiSalvo is, as always, amazing.

I dont't know anything about Kadavar, though. Any fans out there?

Elder fans definitely need this. It is excellent. Heavy and Elder-y in places. Spacey Floyd and gentle psych elsewhere. Really nice blending.

I like this one too and I'm not all that big of a fan of Kadavar. The combo works very well though!

If you haven't heard it yet I also highly recommend DiSalvo's solo instrumental project from last year...delving - Hirschbrunnen. Nice stuff. "Psychedelic, kraut-ish music with tinges of prog and electronic elements." A favorite of last year

Received Eldovar not that long ago, seems it was postponed for ages for the US release. Looking forward to give it a spin.

As for Kadavar, wrote about their latest album The Isolation Tapes in the thread "On the Heavy Side of Things" - post #5
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...hlight=PCMusic

Really like their first two albums Kadavar and Abra Kadavar - a more straight forward hard rock / stoner. If this is not your cup of tea check out the latest one. It is quite different.
    https://kadavarberlin.bandcamp.com/music

I dont't know anything about Kadavar, though.
    It stinks after 3 days or so.

I went ahead and ordered Hirschbrunnen. If it's in the vein of Elder's The Gold and Silver Sessions--which it sounds like it is--then I'll be happy.

I'll add Kadavar's The Isolation Tapes to my next Laser CD. Hopefully the smell won't be too bad.

Thanks for the recs, everyone!

N. American summer tour dates:

https://beholdtheelder.com/elder-tour/

I think they were originally playing Asheville; now they're heading for Raleigh. That'll work.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    LOL! One of the other bands touring with them is called BELZEBONG.

They hit Toronto on Labour Day...but then there could be a Progday this year...conflict! What to do?

Obviously, the answer is to go to Progday, and then drive from Toronto to Montreal for the Tuesday show...simple really, lol.

Neil