Page 101 of 181 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4524

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I'm about to start The Roadie by Kim Payne, one of the roadies to the original Allman Brothers Band.
    Mmmm......looked on Amazon and could not find this. They have several books written by roadies, but I didn't find this. I have read a couple of roadie books. One was written by a roadie for Guns N Roses during their time as a superstar band and one written by a roadie for Queen. Both books were very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmmm......looked on Amazon and could not find this. They have several books written by roadies, but I didn't find this. I have read a couple of roadie books. One was written by a roadie for Guns N Roses during their time as a superstar band and one written by a roadie for Queen. Both books were very interesting.
    https://www.facebook.com/theroadiekimpayne

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin
    Enjoy. That's just amazing - though her Broken Earth trilogy is even better.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Cool, thanks. I was looking for a kindle version which is why I couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Enjoy. That's just amazing - though her Broken Earth trilogy is even better.
    Yeah, that was a great series

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

It's not on Amazon. Here is Kim's page on Facebook. You send $22 plus $5 for shipping to Mark Vormittag to his PayPal account. Mark is handling the orders for Kim.
    Ask for an autograph, and Kim will sign with your name on it. Mark is on FB as well. Process went smoothly. It's 219 pages with large font, but I had to have it, as you probably
    do as well. Here you go, brother: https://www.facebook.com/kim.payne.338863

Started Dave Mitchell's new one, "Utopia Avenue." The ultimate name-dropping novel of the 1960's rock and roll scene--but it's got that David Mitchell time-travel-cross-genre thing happening.....so far it's enjoyable.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Still working my way through the Omnibus volumes of Moorcock's Eternal Champion series. Finished Volume 2 Von Bek, which is outstanding. Next up, Hawkmoon, dedicated to Dave Brock.

^^^Did not know that von Bek was an incarnation of the Champion. I should have known... The War Hound and the World's Pain is still one of my favorite Moorcock books.

It's not on Amazon. Here is Kim's page on Facebook. You send $22 plus $5 for shipping to Mark Vormittag to his PayPal account. Mark is handling the orders for Kim.
    Ask for an autograph, and Kim will sign with your name on it. Mark is on FB as well. Process went smoothly. It's 219 pages with large font, but I had to have it, as you probably
    do as well. Here you go, brother: https://www.facebook.com/kim.payne.338863
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^Did not know that von Bek was an incarnation of the Champion. I should have known... The War Hound and the World's Pain is still one of my favorite Moorcock books.
    There are 4 stories in the book, the one you mentioned is probably the best. This omnibus volume deals with the Von Bek family through time, and all 4 stories feature a different Von Bek. All are relatives (ancestors/descendants) of the others. In one of the stories, the Von Bek character aids the Eternal Champion, but is not that entity. I don't think any of the stories in the volume expressly have the Von Bek character as Eternal Champion, but it's included in the series. So, ambiguous at best.

Morten Strøksnes: Shark Drunk: The Art of Catching a Large Shark from a Tiny Rubber Dinghy in a Big Ocean

Best novel I have read in years ! review https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...roksnes-review

"Shark Drunk is, in part, the tale of two men in a very small boat on the trail of a very big fish. It is also a story of obsession, enchantment and adventure. A love song to the sea, in all its mystery, hardship, wonder and life-giving majesty. In the great depths surrounding the remote Lofoten islands in Norway lives the Greenland shark. Twenty-six feet in length and weighing more than a tonne, it can live for 200 years. Its fluorescent green, parasite-covered eyes are said to hypnotise its prey, and its meat is so riddled with poison that, when consumed, it sends people into a hallucinatory trance. Armed with little more than their wits and a tiny rubber boat, Morten Strøksnes and his friend Hugo set out in pursuit of this enigmatic creature. Together, they tackle existential questions, experience the best and worst nature can throw at them, and explore the astonishing life teeming at the ocean's depths."

AND - Eno, Wyatt, Fripp and Umma Gumma is mentioned in it !
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-08-2020 at 05:42 PM.

The Right Mistake: the Further Philosophical Investigations of Soctratese Fortlow by Walter Mosely

I'm not too far into it yet but it's really well written. Socrates Fortlow is an older Black man who served twenty-seven years in prison for rape/double murder, which gave him a lot of time to think. After his release he moved from Indiana to LA, where he questions people's motives. He manages to get a five year lease on a small house and institues the Thinkers' Club, which somehow attracts the attention of the police and... Well, anyway. The chracters are fresh and immediate. It's apparently the third book in a series.

Just started John Bolton's book, "The Room Where It Happened" about his experience in the Trump administration. Very interesting so far.

I've got on order from the local library The Lives and Loves of Daisy and Violet Hilton: A True Story of Conjoined Twins by Dean Jensen. They were the conjoined twins in the movie Freaks. Sometimes when passing an accident, you just have to look.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I bought it a while back and started reading and then put it down.
    Traveling 7 hours on a train and sitting around in waiting rooms gave me time to catch up with:
    The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan
    Almost as fresh today, an exploration of humans propensity to believe in things which cannot be proven by science.
    We are not so far removed from burning witches as we might wish.
    The local government of Salem MA pleading with people to stay away on Halloween ( because of Covid ), and people who just could not stay away commenting that it's all fun and harmless.
    Except for the whole hanging people based on gossip and accusation. Fun stuff.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I just read the latest David Mitchell, Utopia Avenue. It’s set in ‘67 London and about the formative years of a rock band, and it is quite captivating. I’m always a bit wary of fictional rock bands, they never ring true, but he has such a way of writing engaging characters that this one holds together well. It also fits into his meta-novel universe, and has just a little dollop of his metaphysical / paranormal viewpoint. I enjoy the connections between previous novels and characters and here we have a guitar wunderkind Jasper de Zoet who is a descendent of Jacob de Zoet from a previous novel. There are numerous other little connections and threads to please the train-spotter fiction fan too.
    Started reading Utopia Avenue. Love it already. Rick Wakeman on page 1? Yes! (Maybe because of this the fans of that group are interested too. )

Me, The Mob And The Music- One Helluva Ride With Tommy James And The Shondells (on my new Kindle Paperwhite) Fun read.

Me, The Mob And The Music- One Helluva Ride With Tommy James And The Shondells (on my new Kindle Paperwhite) Fun read.
    That is a good one. I read it quite a while ago.

Just started "Too Much And Never Enough How My Family Created The World's Most Dangerous Man" from Mary Trump. So far it is very interesting. Mary has a PHD in psychology so has some very unique insights on both Donald and the rest of the family she grew up in .

^ Can we be sure that there even is such a family?

I just read the latest Jonathan Coe “Mr Wilder & Me”, it was a sweet tale and an easy read, but a long way from “The Rotters Club”, he writes well and if you enjoy his style, you’ll find something in this story.

I’m just moving into my first ever Murakami, “Norwegian Wood”, drawn in by the title and the fact that a good friend keeps extolling his virtues, although he tells me this is his most mainstream and I will prefer the others.

I seem to have broken my one-book-at-a-time rule of the last several years. I'm now reading The Waves - the latest entry in my planned reading of everything Virginia Woolf ever wrote; and N.K. Jemisin's new one, The City We Became, about a group of five or six people who in some way are New York.

Also (and this doesn't count because it's part of my continuing self-education in Spanish) Harry Potter y la camara secreta.

Just started "Too Much And Never Enough How My Family Created The World's Most Dangerous Man" from Mary Trump. So far it is very interesting. Mary has a PHD in psychology so has some very unique insights on both Donald and the rest of the family she grew up in .
    I read that some months ago. What a horrible family. No shock there. It still does not excuse the behavior of 45.