Page 109 of 181 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 4521

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Dreams and Wishes, a collection of essays by Susan Cooper (author of the "Dark is Rising" sequence). What's cool, beside the book, is that I bought it cheap used online - and it turned out to be an inscribed copy.
    Oh wow - one of my fave sequences ever. Have my original copies from when I was a lad plus I bought a large single compendium of the sequence I got at an estate sale.

On the list.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    To Be Taught If Fortunate - Becky Chambers; very good (so far) space travel/sci fi/exoplanet exploration. A featured book at the library.

I am reading John Boehner's new book "On The House A Washington Memoir". I am not too far into it yet, but so far it is very interesting. He names names and pulls no punches.

Just finished Michaelmas, by Algis Budrys.

Now reading Fracture, by Andrés Neuman.

Reading A Brief History of Seven Killings, by Marlon James. Jeezly crow, this is a brutal book. Set in the Kingston (Jamaica) ghettos, the first part at least is leading up to the attempted assassination of Bob Marley days before the Smile Jamaica concert, from the points of view of the thugs, a CIA officer, a Rolling Stone reporter with ambitions, and more. Some of it is in deep patois, such that I have to look up words now and then, but it's compelling and, as I say, brutal, bringing home the horrible conditions in which people lived in that place and time. (I don't know how it is now.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Reading A Brief History of Seven Killings, by Marlon James. Jeezly crow, this is a brutal book. Set in the Kingston (Jamaica) ghettos, the first part at least is leading up to the attempted assassination of Bob Marley days before the Smile Jamaica concert, from the points of view of the thugs, a CIA officer, a Rolling Stone reporter with ambitions, and more. Some of it is in deep patois, such that I have to look up words now and then, but it's compelling and, as I say, brutal, bringing home the horrible conditions in which people lived in that place and time. (I don't know how it is now.)
    Sounds very interesting, I may have to check this one out.

Is this a novel or a factual book?

Currently reading "The Comedians - Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, The History Of American Comedy". I think someone here recommended this book a while back. So far it is very interesting.

Halfway through "Thaddeus Stevens:Civil War Revolutionary and Fighter For Racial Justice"-Bruce C. Levine.

Outstanding.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Is this a novel or a factual book?
    It's a novel. It's told from many first person points-of-view, at least one of whom is dead at the time of telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I just read the latest Jonathan Coe “Mr Wilder & Me”, it was a sweet tale and an easy read, but a long way from “The Rotters Club”, he writes well and if you enjoy his style, you’ll find something in this story.
    Finally started reading Jonathan Coe's new novel. I love most of his books and although I don't expect to read about a Canterbury Scene-band I'm sure there will be music in this one too
    (I think one of the main characters writes music for films, so there you go...)

Cool interview with John Grisham.

https://www.worldofsuey.com//podcast...3/john-grisham
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit by Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit by Charles Bukowski
    In the running for greatest title of all time
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

^^ Agreed. I keep a small list, and my current favorite is a short story called "I See a Man Sitting on a Chair, and the Chair Is Biting His Leg", but this may top it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    In the running for greatest title of all time
    Not one of his better collections, unfortunately.

nr: The World Jones Made by Philip K. Dick

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Year Of The Witching by Alexis Henderson

Just finished two satisfying audiobooks that dealt with the same amazing survival adventure: Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (1959) and South by Ernest Shackleton (1919).

With the passing of Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins, I’m reading his book Carrying the Fire. Probably the best book from an astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    With the passing of Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins, I’m reading his book Carrying the Fire. Probably the best book from an astronaut.
    That's another one I need to get.

Just read a part of an interview with snoooker-player Steve Davis, where he tells something about the things he loves. He mentions Rockbottom by Robert Wyatt, Magma and Gentle Giant. There is also told he makes a radio-show with Kavis Torabi (known on this forum as well).

Yes it is a brutal read but stick with it. I picked it up after it won the prize and didn’t really know what to expect, but it was a revealing insight into a culture and time so removed from my own.

In Pursuit Of Spring by Edward Thomas