Page 118 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 4524

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Behind the Horror : True Stories That Inspired Horror Movies by Lee Mellor

About halfway through this fascinating book. Just what the title states. So far has had chapters on Poltergeist, Jaws, The Exorcist,
    Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, and more. Some movies are very similar to the true stories,
    and some not so much. Great read for any fan of horror films or literature.
    That sounds like a good one. I will have to check it out.

The Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    While still in the middle of Wish You Were Here by Romano I'm curious if anyone has read Robyn Flans "It's About Time: Jeff Porcaro, The Man And His Music" (2020). Love the title!
    Just started reading the Jeff Porcaro-biography. The author is Robyn Flans. She's a long time-writer for the Modern Drummer magazine and has interviewed the legendary drummer very often.
    The foreword was written by Jim Keltner.
    Hopefully this book gets as much attention as Steve Lukather's The Gospel According To Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just started reading the Jeff Porcaro-biography. The author is Robyn Flans. She's a long time-writer for the Modern Drummer magazine and has interviewed the legendary drummer very often.
    The foreword was written by Jim Keltner.
    Hopefully this book gets as much attention as Steve Lukather's The Gospel According To Luke.
    I purchased it after seeing it posted here. It is in my line of books to be read on my Kindle.

I seem to have regressed back to picture books...mostly of the steam locomotives of the Great Western Railway.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Everything from Bernardo Kastrup. He's an "idealist", which means he fights hard for making the point that the mind is not in the brain, and that, for that matters, mind is EVERYTHING. He's an articulate man, and his talks and books give me great inspiration.
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

The Essential Robert Bloch, a collection of stories that I got cheap on Kindle because, I suspect, they were out of copyright...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The Essential Robert Bloch, a collection of stories that I got cheap on Kindle because, I suspect, they were out of copyright...
    Robert Bloch has always been a favorite of mine. Creepy stuff with a bit of humor.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Band of brothers by Stephen Ambrose

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Band of brothers by Stephen Ambrose
    Ambrose writes great stuff, although I never read that one.

The Art of Reading Poetry, by Harold Bloom

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The Art of Reading Poetry, by Harold Bloom
    Interested in your opinion of this. I am a reader of poetry, and a fan of Bloom's though I disagree with him often.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Found one at the library that seems to fit the season: Slewfoot, A Tale of Bewitchery by a single named author, Brom. Haven't started reading it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Interested in your opinion of this. I am a reader of poetry, and a fan of Bloom's though I disagree with him often.
    I quite enjoyed it. It turns out to be the introduction to his anthology The Great Poems of the English Language, published separately as a very small book. (It also has what appears to be the ToC of the book, i.e., a chronological list of poems.)

It is fairly technical, and has fairly high expectations of the reader. It begins by defining four rhetorical terms (irony, metaphor, metonymy, and synechdoche), which he basically uses as categories to put poets and poetry into, gives a few examples, then goes into allusion, giving examples which he dissects pretty thoroughly: ending with a detailed discussion of Hart Crane's "Voyages II".

(He has a very low opinion of Poe, saying that he wrote two good poems -- I think it's quite a bit more than that, but I really don't mind the sing-songiness of "The Raven" and suchlike. Ah, well... Fortunately I can enjoy book that I disagree with )

Now reading: Of Surds and Solids (great title!) by my literary hero Samuel R. Delany

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Ambrose writes great stuff, although I never read that one.
    Its great. I've seen the HBO series more times than I could ever count, and the book fills in some of the gaps. I also just bought Normandy '44 by James Holland so that is next after this. I guess I have turned into a hardcore WWII enthusiast/buff over the past few years.

The Hummingbird by Sandro Veronese

Jorge Luis Borges: A Universal History of Infamy.

Niklas Natt Och Dag: 1794, a historical, dark thriller, the second one of this Swedish writer, who's debut was titled 1793, while 1795 is on its way to be published.

Niklas Natt och Dag (“Night and Day”) debuted as an author with the historical literary novel 1793. Natt och Dag himself has an undeniable connection to Swedish history, being a member of the oldest surviving noble family in Sweden. When he isn’t writing or reading, Natt och Dag enjoys playing the guitar, mandolin, violin, or the Japanese bamboo flute, shakuhachi.

Rereading, for maybe the fifth time, the late, great Gene Wolfe's Peace. There is still lots to find in this book. Wolfe's best books (and this is one) are like puzzle boxes: I just hope I don't summon any Cenobites...

Blood and Lemonade by Joe R. Lansdale. A Hap and Leonard novel from 2017. Just found it in the library last week. Surprised this one got by me. I'm usually on top of Joe's output, which has been a lot lately. Seems he's really cranking them out, just as Stephen King is. In their 70s, I guess they see that the creative life is finite.

I'm only about 40 pages in. Seems to be flashbacks on how Hap and Leonard became friends.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Creating Christianity How Roman Emperors Invented Christianity - James Valliant

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Creating Christianity How Roman Emperors Invented Christianity - James Valliant
    That sounds interesting. Will have to pick it up.

Five Decembers by James Kestrel (published by the admirable Hard Case Crime)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    You Can't Be Serious, autobiography by Kal Penn