Page 156 of 181 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 4524

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I could have sworn I already posted about this, but I must have dreamt it. Anyway, I decided to go for Body Rides, which is a somewhat different genre than the few of his I've now read. So far, it's really good!
    No, you didn't dream it: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...archid=8095818

I finished reading Glucose Revolution by Jessie Inchauspe. The upshot of the book is that good health, including weight loss, can be achieved by flattening our glucose curve. This book is directed at improving health for everyone, not just diabetics, but due to the nature of type 2 diabetics relation to blood sugar levels, this became must reading for me. Her main premise is that blood gucose spikes can be flattened/mitigated by techniques that she calls "Hacks," that she has been able to verify through the use of a Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor. She shares 10 of them. The "Hacks" are sound, and she explains the science in remarkably simple terms that anyone can understand.

If you care about your health, this is reading of interest. If you're Type 2 Diabetic, it's probably essential.

The book isn't long, about 280 pages, not expensive, but if you prefer an option that doesn't involve money, Ms Inchauspe is on Instagram, with a whole community of supporters. Look for @GlucoseGoddess on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I finished reading Glucose Revolution by Jessie Inchauspe. The upshot of the book is that good health, including weight loss, can be achieved by flattening our glucose curve. This book is directed at improving health for everyone, not just diabetics, but due to the nature of type 2 diabetics relation to blood sugar levels, this became must reading for me. Her main premise is that blood gucose spikes can be flattened/mitigated by techniques that she calls "Hacks," that she has been able to verify through the use of a Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor. She shares 10 of them. The "Hacks" are sound, and she explains the science in remarkably simple terms that anyone can understand.

If you care about your health, this is reading of interest. If you're Type 2 Diabetic, it's probably essential.

The book isn't long, about 280 pages, not expensive, but if you prefer an option that doesn't involve money, Ms Inchauspe is on Instagram, with a whole community of supporters. Look for @GlucoseGoddess on Instagram.
    Thanks, Mark. That sounds like something I'd want to read, so I've added it to my list.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

^^^ Me too.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks. I'll get a copy from my library. If it turns out to be helpful, I will order it from the nearest bookstore. Need all the help I can get.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

That is timely, I just heard her interviewed on an in depth podcast [Diary of a CEO - episode 243 I think], and it was truly eye opening. I don’t have any diabetic issues, but am always interested in hoe I could ac5 in a more healthy manner.

I went to my bookshelves in search of Martin Amis novels, following his sad passing last weekend. I found one I hadn’t read, The Information, and that has been entertaining me this week.

Just started: Italo Calvino, If on a Winter's Night a Traveler. The entire book seems to be addressed directly to the reader. It's interesting, but a little slow going, probably because the style (or the translation?) takes some getting used to.

Just finished “Hymns Of The Republic – The Story Of The Final Year Of The American Civil War” by S.C. Gwynne. Gwynne has become one of my favorite historical writers. This is the 2nd book of his I have read and they read like novels, but they are pure fact. I have read quite a few Civil War books over the years, but Gwynne tells his stories from a unique perspective and I always learn something new. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes Civil War history.

Quite a while ago (maybe 15 years ago now?) I started to read the Neil Peart book Ghost Rider: Travels On The Healing Road. However, I only got halfway through it and stopped after 200 or so pages. I recently picked it up again(last Sunday I think) and so far I'm on about page 36 or so. It's weird how a lot of it I don't remember. I do remember enjoying it for the most part and I'm not sure why I stopped reading it especially since I have read books just as long if not longer before. I do admit I'm a rather slow reader though.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-27-2023 at 06:43 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Quite a while ago (maybe 15 years ago now?) I started to read the Neil Peart book Ghost Rider: Travels On The Healing Road. However, I only got half-way through it and stopped after 200 or so pages. I recently picked it up again(last Sunday I think) and so far I'm on about page 36 or so. It's weird how a lot of it I don't remember. I do remember enjoying it for the most part and I'm not sure why I stopped reading it especially since I have read books just as long if not longer before. I do admit I'm a rather slow reader though.
    I enjoyed that book a lot. Parts of it are a bit slow, but it is a good read overall.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Donut Legion by Joe R. Lansdale
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The Donut Legion by Joe R. Lansdale
    Read this a month or so ago. Can't go wrong with champion Joe his ownself. Good stuff!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I enjoyed that book a lot. Parts of it are a bit slow, but it is a good read overall.
    I actually have another book that seems to be kind of similar called Odyssey of a Wayward Traveler by Raymond A. Uzanas (I don't remember where I picked it up- maybe a thrift store) but I haven't read it yet. The author travels across the US after his wife dies so it at least has that in common but this guy was a CEO instead of a musician (let's face it you need a lot of money to travel for more than a couple of months or so).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

"Ain't But A Few Of Us Left:Black Music Writers Tell Their Story"-Willard Jenkins,Editor
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just started: African Silences by Peter Matthiesen. About some trips he took to East Africa with wildlife assessors, in 1978 and 1986. The writing is a bit dull, with lots of "I need to look this up" interruptions, but interesting enough that I will doubtless finish it.

Inspired by the Nina Allen article I linked above, I'm on a strangeness/first contact binge.

Just finished Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End, which I first read 45 years or so ago. I shouldn't gone back. The writing was plodding, overwhelmed by periodic dull explication, & characters with no depth or personality whatsoever. The sexism is also deeply off-putting. Here's a man who looked into the furthest reaches of the alien, but women being anything other than (house)wives proved an alien concept too far.

Now reading Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Here's a man who looked into the furthest reaches of the alien, but women being anything other than (house)wives proved an alien concept too far.
    In retrospect, women weren't exactly Clarke's thing. I don't know what Asimov's excuse was.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I read a lot of musician biographies on my Kindle at night as a way to drift off to sleep. Pretty much anyone in the rock or jazz world, and I'll be interested. Last night I finished Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams, and Rumours, without ever bothering to look at the author's name... turns out it was written by Steve Howe's daughter-in-law Zoë Howe! Who knew? Not this guy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Inspired by the Nina Allen article I linked above, I'm on a strangeness/first contact binge.

Just finished Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End, which I first read 45 years or so ago. I shouldn't gone back. The writing was plodding, overwhelmed by periodic dull explication, & characters with no depth or personality whatsoever. The sexism is also deeply off-putting. Here's a man who looked into the furthest reaches of the alien, but women being anything other than (house)wives proved an alien concept too far.

Now reading Blindsight by Peter Watts.
    I read most of Clarke's books back in the day, but I have never gone back and re-read any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I read a lot of musician biographies on my Kindle at night as a way to drift off to sleep. Pretty much anyone in the rock or jazz world, and I'll be interested. Last night I finished Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams, and Rumours, without ever bothering to look at the author's name... turns out it was written by Steve Howe's daughter-in-law Zoë Howe! Who knew? Not this guy.
    I read that one a long time ago. Interesting book. Stevie is a complicated person who seemed to bounce through relationship after relationship looking for some kind of magic person that she never really found. I actually felt a bit sorry for her after the book as she did not seem to be a very happy person even with all of her success.

If you like FM Mick Fleetwood's books are great reads. There is also a book by Lindsey's ex called "Dreams" that is very interesting.

The Last Days of John Lennon - Frederic Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    The Last Days of John Lennon - Frederic Seaman
    Read that one a while ago. Interesting book.

Birds of the Grey Wind; Edward Allworthy Armstrong
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

The Sunken Land Begins to Rise by M John Harrison.