Page 157 of 181 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 4521

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Mr. Mercedes- Stephen King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Mr. Mercedes- Stephen King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good book. Good series.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Good book. Good series.
    Indeed, some of the best "late" King -- including the later sequels, The Outsider and the short titular novel of If It Bleeds. Very much looking forward to the upcoming Holly.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Five Families by Selwyn Raab

I've watched all those series such as Mob's Greatest Hits and so on. Raab provides a lot of commentary for those shows as he was a career journalist focusing on organized crime. I'm about a 120 pages into the 800-page book. Morbidly fascinating.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Five Families by Selwyn Raab

I've watched all those series such as Mob's Greatest Hits and so on. Raab provides a lot of commentary for those shows as he was a career journalist focusing on organized crime. I'm about a 120 pages into the 800-page book. Morbidly fascinating.
    I read that one. Long book, but worth it. Pretty much everything you could want to know about the history of the mob in New York and other cities.

Merlijn Kerkhof - Alles begint bij Bach (Everything starts with Bach)

A book about classical music, but he doesn't really shy away from a little bit of rock, like mentioning Jesus Christ Superstar after a piece about the Matthew passion, or ELP's version of Pictures at an exhibition.

His dad is a pop-musician, who plays with the Amazing Stroopwafels.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Good book. Good series.
    I didn't know it was a series.

Re- reading the Incredible String Band Compendium.

Bloody January by Alan Parks.

Glasgow noir.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I didn't know it was a series.
    Three books in the series, and one of the character, Holly Gibney, now has her own thing going on. She also appears in King's The Outsider and If it Bleeds, and he has a novel coming out this year called Holly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

February's Son by Alan Parks.

You can probably figure it out for yourselves!

(I suspect I'm in till I'm up to date!)

Just finished "Hello, I'm Paul Page: Its Raceday At Indianapolis". Paul was known as the voice of the Indy 500 and this is his autobiography. I am an auto racing fan so found it very interesting as Page worked at Indy for years until his recent retirement. Recommended for anyone into Indy.

Just started Geezer Butler's autobiography. Not very far into it yet.

So I picked an interesting looking book out of a local "Little Library": Einstein's Dreams, by Alan Lightman.

Unfortunately, when I started reading it, page 8 was followed by page 41, and the rest seems to be chaotically scrambled.

Has anyone here read it? Is it worth paying for a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    So I picked an interesting looking book out of a local "Little Library": Einstein's Dreams, by Alan Lightman.

Unfortunately, when I started reading it, page 8 was followed by page 41, and the rest seems to be chaotically scrambled.

Has anyone here read it? Is it worth paying for a copy?
    I was very disappointed in it. I thought it neither did justice to Einstein's thinking (Einstein himself is a brilliant writer, who conveys his own ideas with extraordinary clarity), nor worked particularly well as "literature" (I found the writing to be, somehow, both flat & precious at the same time!).
    It was, I should say, lauded in lit circles in the UK on publication...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Cormac McCarthy has died at age 89, at his home in Santa Fe, NM. Rest in peace.
    Frog in boiling water

Bobby March Will Live Forever , by Alan Parks.

Just finished Geezer Butler’s autobiography “Into The Void”. As an old Sabbath fan I found it hard to put down. I have read autobiographies by Tony Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie James Dio, Glenn Hughes and Ian Gillan so it was interesting to get yet another side of the Sabbath story. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the band.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 06-15-2023 at 04:30 PM.

I think this young woman does a good job of reviewing books if you like: SF, horror, or fantasy.

So in honor of two recent public events, I have pulled from Mount TBR my copy of The Trial of Henry Kissinger. It's the first thing by Chrisopher Hitchens I've ever read and so far (one chapter in) it's quite interesting...

I always wondered about Kissinger. Back in the day my mom sort of found him respectable, which made me think he was okay. It's funny how opiated we can become by media.

Conquest by Nina Allen.

Back with the strange/first contact/zone kick. It was a lovely list piece by Allen that tripped me off on this, & I've been saving up for her own take on this sub-genre with her new novel.

I'm only 25 or so pages in, but I already know this will be one of the best books I'll read this year. Beautifully written, & delightfully evoking classic works that define this area of literature. A total treat to savour.

I'm looking for good escape book recomendations - Scifi/fantasy? Perhaps a good Historically based Novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm looking for good escape book recomendations - Scifi/fantasy? Perhaps a good Historically based Novel?
    If you have a lot of time (pun not intended; 850 pages), try Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's a what-if historical fantasy of a guy who uses a sort-of worm hole to go back into recent time to rectify bad events including the Kennedy assassination. Lot's of speculative info on Oswald.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

If you have a lot of time (pun not intended; 850 pages), try Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's a what-if historical fantasy of a guy who uses a sort-of worm hole to go back into recent time to rectify bad events including the Kennedy assassination. Lot's of speculative info on Oswald.
    I love a long yarn... If its interesting. I'll give it a shot. If I can get it in an E-book

Agree, that is a good one if you like time travel fiction mixed with historical events.