Page 158 of 181 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4510

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I love a long yarn... If its interesting. I'll give it a shot. If I can get it in an E-book
    I got it on my kindle.

At this moment I am reading David Grann - The white darkness a book about Henry Worsley, who has traveled several times to the South Pole Very interesting and perhaps a way to escape the summer heath.

I'm looking for good escape book recomendations - Scifi/fantasy? Perhaps a good Historically based Novel?
    I just finished The Good Lord Bird by James McBride, which is a fictionalized portrayal of 19th century abolitionist John Brown and his attack on Harper's Ferry, Virginia, as seen through the eyes of a young African-American teen boy passing as a girl who joins Brown's "army" to survive after his father is killed. Apparently the novel won the National Book Award for Fiction and was also made into a miniseries.

I'm looking for good escape book recomendations - Scifi/fantasy? Perhaps a good Historically based Novel?
    Graham Moore's The Last Days Of Night is a thriller-like novel based on the "electric war" between Tesla and Edison.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    If you have a lot of time (pun not intended; 850 pages), try Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's a what-if historical fantasy of a guy who uses a sort-of worm hole to go back into recent time to rectify bad events including the Kennedy assassination. Lot's of speculative info on Oswald.
    I love this book so much.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

11/22/63 is indeed an excellent "late King" book.

I will recommend something even longer -- a trilogy of doorstop fantasies, in fact, but incredibly good. It's called "The Broken Earth," by N.K. Jemisin; the first trilogy ever to win the Hugo award for all three volumes. (Also the first writer to win the novel Hugo three years in a row; also the first Black woman to win the novel Hugo. For what that's worth.) It's set on what might or might not be a distant future Earth -- if it is, we're talking hundreds of megayears, because the continents have come together again -- where occasional geological "events" cause a "fifth season," i.e., the geological equivalent of "nuclear winter." The first book (The Fifth Season, surprise surprise) begins with a deliberately-induced "event" which destroys the continent's biggest, most powerful city and brings on a disastrous fifth season. Then things get complicated.

After reading this, I ran out and bought everything Jemisin has in print (to date: two trilogies, two duologies, and one short story collection. None of the series are in the same "world" as any of the others; when she's done with a story, she's done with it...)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I always wondered about Kissinger. Back in the day my mom sort of found him respectable, which made me think he was okay. It's funny how opiated we can become by media.
    So far the book makes him seem incredibly heinous, and it's well-documented.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm reading "Reborn" by F. Paul Wilson. If you've seen the movie or read the book "The Keep," this is another standalone novel in a series of related books. It's really good so far!

Lou, I finished Richard Laymon's "Body Rides." An interesting idea, but not one of the best of his books I read. Still has some pretty weird, risqué stuff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    So far the book makes him seem incredibly heinous...
    No lies detected

I just read Christopher Priest’s The Prestige which was a 99p Kindle bargain. I hadn’t been aware of it, in spite of there being a movie too, although reading the plot synopsis, it seems a very different tale to the one in the book. I enjoyed it, but thought it might go somewhere different than where it ended up.

I am now half way into David Mitchell’s Number 9 Dream which I read upon publication, but am revisiting as I’m sure it will reveal some new connections and interesting links to his later novels. I did the same with Ghostwritten a while ago, and it was quite revealing. Whilst nothing can be said to be a sequel, I do like the way his stories include characters and relationships that you have encountered before.

Chris - Priest is Nina Allan's partner!

Do you know any of his "Dream Archipelago" works? - I think that they may contain his best writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I just read Christopher Priest’s The Prestige which was a 99p Kindle bargain. I hadn’t been aware of it, in spite of there being a movie too, although reading the plot synopsis, it seems a very different tale to the one in the book. I enjoyed it, but thought it might go somewhere different than where it ended up.
    Funny you mention this book. Haven't read it, but saw the movie, so I know Nikola Tesla has an important role in it, just like the book I mentioned in post #3929.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Lou, I finished Richard Laymon's "Body Rides." An interesting idea, but not one of the best of his books I read. Still has some pretty weird, risqué stuff in it.
    Not familiar with this one, Jed. I'll see if I can get it through the library's consortium. My local library has nothing by Laymon.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I just finished The Good Lord Bird by James McBride.
    A few years ago I read a novel called The Lord God Bird by Russell Hill. It's about a young man who is obsessed with finding an ivory-billed woodpecker; people in the swamps of the south would say, "Lord God" whenever they saw one. One of my favorites.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Chris - Priest is Nina Allan's partner!

Do you know any of his "Dream Archipelago" works? - I think that they may contain his best writing.
    I don’t think I’ve read any of those, but I shall investigate. Thanks for the recommendation Robin.

Edit… Also 99p on Kindle, so added to the library
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 06-18-2023 at 09:33 AM.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Funny you mention this book. Haven't read it, but saw the movie, so I know Nikola Tesla has an important role in it, just like the book I mentioned in post #3929.
    Saw the movie, one of my top 25 - now gotta read the book!

So added to list!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I don’t think I’ve read any of those, but I shall investigate. Thanks for the recommendation Robin.

Edit… Also 99p on Kindle, so added to the library
    There are a number of works which fall under the heading, Chris - a collection of short stories, The Dream Archipelago, plus the novels The Affirmation, The Islanders, & The Gradual. The Adjacent also has some links to the series/world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Not familiar with this one, Jed. I'll see if I can get it through the library's consortium. My local library has nothing by Laymon.
    I doubt our library has any of his books either. There’s nothing edifying about them! I’ve been ordering them used. But I really don’t recommend Body Rides.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    There are a number of works which fall under the heading, Chris - a collection of short stories, The Dream Archipelago, plus the novels The Affirmation, The Islanders, & The Gradual. The Adjacent also has some links to the series/world.
    It was the short story collection I added, I will no doubt be intrigued to explore deeper once I’ve read these.

They're connected by setting, Chris - but also by "mood" - the "how" of being there.

You'll get what I mean, once you settle in with them!

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    Yeah, that's a nice one.
    Bought it when I saw there's a chapter in it on Crafty Hands from Happy The Man (well, the title is suggesting that, the chapter is on the whole history of the band).

The April Dead by Alan Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Yeah, that's a nice one.
    Bought it when I saw there's a chapter in it on Crafty Hands from Happy The Man (well, the title is suggesting that, the chapter is on the whole history of the band).
    Just finished the Foreword and first chapter on Clouds/1-2-3...no doubt this book will enhance my CD collection.

It was the short story collection I added, I will no doubt be intrigued to explore deeper once I’ve read these.
    I really liked The Affirmation, and The Gradual, but the short story collection The Dream Archipelago I did not enjoy much. Lots of potential in the setting, but IMO the stories are just not particularly good and he doesn't make much use of the world they're set in. But you may feel differently, so please let us know your thoughts once you read it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021