Page 96 of 181 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 4524

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Democracy In Chains by Nancy MacLean. The rise of the radical right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Best of Gene Wolfe - he may have been the best writer of medium-length fiction of the late 20th/early 21st century. Story after story blows me away, even the ones I've read before -- there is so much more to discover on rereading.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Started reading a fresh Dutch translation of Tesla: Inventor Of The Modern by Richard Munson.

After finishing this one I started re-reading The Last Days Of Night, the novel Graham Moore wrote 4 years ago about the current-war. It was supposted to get an adaption for film, with Eddie Redmayne in the leading role, but apart from some promotional shots, nothing has been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Racist, brutal cops.. a bit timely, I guess.
    I love this book. I've taken a great interest in Bette Short as she lived a couple blocks away from me (of course, I didn't move into the neighborhood until she was long gone). It took me a while to get into this book as it's loaded with 1940s slang and police jargon, but well with sticking with it. I've read many books about the case, each is emphatic about the killer's identity and each with a different killer in mind. One even speculates that the killer was Orson Welles.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Stephen Holden with Anthony Reynolds and a foreword by Robert Dean: Adolescent Alternatives - Road-Trips With Japan 1978-1980. Holden was a young Japan-fan, who discovered the band by the time they had just released their first LP. He started visiting as many concerts in the U.K. as he could and he and his friends managed to take a lot of pictures, both on stage and before/after the concerts. Never knew David Sylvian once threw his guitar away at the end of a show like a real punk-rocker

Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen #5) by Steven Erikson

Douglas Adams - The Salmon Of Doubt. I didn't know this existed until a few weeks ago. It contains the third Dirk Gently book - taken from three versions - and various other writings of his. I haven't yet gotten to his writings, still doing the introductions, of which there are a few, but it's a must read so far for any Adams fan. Finding out from people who knew him who he was as a person is fascinating.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm currently "working" a 10 hour a day job that only involves around 20-50 minutes of actual work, so one of the diversions I decided to engage in is to begin working my way through my extensive backlog of books. That will carry on into retirement next year.

In 1994, I bought the White Wolf editions of Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion series, and have chosen to start with this as the first to pick up now that I have all this extra time. I should finish book one today and start on Vol. 2 next week. Really enjoying it so far. The writing is not as detailed as in other classic Fantasy series, and the characters are not as fleshed out, but the stories are excellent and imaginative, and the Champion as anti-hero paying a horrific price for his being looks like it should provide fascinating reading throughout this series.

Behave by Robert M. Sapolksky. A long, dense but intriguing and often funny look at human aggression and altruism. Starts with what's going on in the brain in the moment before the behavior, then works back through time to endocrinology, social psychology,developmental psychology, embryology, evolution... all to provide an anti-reductionist view of the complex causes of human behavior. Surprisingly hopeful, at least so far.

The Room Where It Happened - John Bolton.
    Don’t agree with the guys politics but interesting to read the inner workings of government. He seems to have a universal disdain for the press.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The Beatles from A to Zed by Peter Asher, audiobook version.

This is a fun, fact-filled romp through the alphabet of Beatles songs as well as tunes from McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, and Starr's solo works plus other musical tidbits. It's read by the author in his slightly gravely but still charming voice. It's always great to hear from folks like Asher who was right in the middle of it all. He was pretty close to the individual members, especially Paul, who as you may know had dated Peter's sister, the actress Jane Asher, for a couple of years in the mid-1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The Room Where It Happened - John Bolton.
    Don’t agree with the guys politics but interesting to read the inner workings of government. He seems to have a universal disdain for the press.
    I have this on my kindle, but have not had a chance to start it yet.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Kindle? Start? Fahrenheit 451?
    Frog in boiling water

How to Kill Hitler : A Guide for Time Travelers by Andrew Stanek

More buffoonery from Stanek.

On a more topical front, I also recently finished Catch Your Death, and the sequel All Fall Down by Mark Edwards and Louise Voss

These are about a deadly manufactured virus that is threatening to wipe out humanity.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Louise Candlish: Our House (2018, in a recent Dutch translation). A modern thriller with an original starting point.

Now reading the alternative history/science fiction The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. I finally finished Keith Richards' autobiography. Some incredible stories in there but man, he does a lot of bitching about Mick in the last third of the book.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Now reading Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. I just got done with American Gods. I am currently on a Gaiman binge.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I read both of those. I liked the American Gods novel better than the TV series made from it, primarily due to slow pacing of the latter. I liked the miniseries made from Good Omens better than most of the movies I have seen. It is that good. In both cases I read the book first. Both books are excellent.
    Frog in boiling water

Take Us to Your Trump, and the sequel Take Us to Your Trump again By Andrew Stanek

Aliens land on top of the National Mall. They come in peace and wish to meet with the leader of the US. They are very polite aliens, and
    warn that if they are offended, they will incinerate the earth. What could go wrong? Quite funny!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Although I don't think I'm going to read it from A to Z I'm pleased I found a quite good looking second hand copy of Jazz-Rock Fusion : The People-The Music by Julie Coryell & Laura Friedman (mentioned before in one of the 96 pages from this thread). It's more or less an interview-book in the same vein as those Guitar Player published through the years (like Secrets From The Masters and Bass Heroes).

The Hermit King: The Dangerous Game of Kim Jong Un by Chung Min Lee. Interesting and a quick read (I'm about half way through after a couple days). Not too much about the founding of North Korea after World War II as the book is mostly about the current Kim. Except for details about various meetings with the South Korean president and Trump, the book so far is rather repetitive. How differently can you say Kim is a ruthless, dangerous dictator who will kill whole families for a perceived slight or infraction of the nebulous laws of the nation? According to Chung, there are "Ten Commandments" for all North Koreans and all of them have to do with veneration of the Kims.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The Hermit King: The Dangerous Game of Kim Jong Un by Chung Min Lee. Interesting and a quick read (I'm about half way through after a couple days). Not too much about the founding of North Korea after World War II as the book is mostly about the current Kim. Except for details about various meetings with the South Korean president and Trump, the book so far is rather repetitive. How differently can you say Kim is a ruthless, dangerous dictator who will kill whole families for a perceived slight or infraction of the nebulous laws of the nation? According to Chung, there are "Ten Commandments" for all North Koreans and all of them have to do with veneration of the Kims.
    Try "The Real North Korea" by the Russian author Andrei Lankov. He currently teaches at Kukmin University here in Korea. He actually attended Kim Il-sung University back in the 80s as an exchange student (though he, of course, was not permitted to intermingle with any North Koreans). This is a well-researched look into the founding of the NK regime and how it operates from someone who grew up in the communist Soviet Union. It is a useful point of view for understanding how the Kim dynasty operates. The chapter on reunification goes through numerous scenarios and really brings home just how difficult, if not impossible, this would be. Well worth your time.

Gene Wolfe's last (>sob<) novel, Interlibrary Loan

An Uncommon Music For The Common Man-A Polemical Memoir by Edwin Prevost(drummer/improviser, founding member of AMM)
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide