Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: A world with cars without cd players

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I thought it was Volvo
    Gay men are the ones who stereotypically drive Volvos. A former band mate of mine certainly did. He may still...I haven't seen or spoken with him in years.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If you ask me, ALL cars on the road are ugly now. Safety requirements mean they're all big boxy squares with maybe some superficial flares in the fenders.
    That was certainly true in the mid to late 80s. When cars were really angular and boxy. A couple of years ago I saw the stupidest looking care I've ever seen. It was an 80s Camaro with angular design. It had those huge rims with those shallow tires. The wheel and tire combination which can't be driven fast. Or risk damaging the rims on the slightest bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    What's it got, a cassette, AM/FM? I could be persuaded to get one.
    If it's stock, it has an AM only radio. With a single in-dash speaker.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

If you ask me, ALL cars on the road are ugly now. Safety requirements mean they're all big boxy squares with maybe some superficial flares in the fenders. They all look alike.

Nobody has ever surpassed the Corvette Stingray fastback IMO. Although some Italian jobs come close. But they're unsafe. And they didn't have CD players.
    Years ago a friend bought the split window Corvette. He saw an ad for a split window Nova, which doesn't exist. He went to look at it and the guy said the car was out there in the field somewhere. He bought it and restored it and sold it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

If it was "out in the field somewhere" it definitely was a "No Va."

Paid $500 extra, when I bought my 2019 Honda Passport Touring to get the factory CD player and it was worth every penny...!

I just went to check out my next Saab 9-3 (2010, 2.0 turbo >> so much fun that it will be dangerous for my driving licence) with 60K kms ion the counter and already converted to LPG (the good thing is you need to do NOTHING to adapt the Saab-made engines to GPL/LPG, as it was designed to accomodate it).
    The bad thing is that if I dont retire early, by the time I do reach pension age, the car will hover around 350k kms then, which is close to car dump time (especially that it is from 2010).
    It's also quite a gamble because the Saab garages are slowly dying out, as there are less Saabs on the road and parts will become scarcer as time goes on (the laws say that parts must be available for 10 years after stopping the manufacture)

Yeah, I'll be paying somewhat too expensive as well for this used car, but IT'S GOT A CD DECK. vainqueur.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Having USB/Blutooth in my car (2017 Honda) keeps my CDs safe. I interact with them in my music room when I'm listening, catalogging, ripping, organizing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, I'll be paying somewhat too expensive as well for this used car, but IT'S GOT A CD DECK. vainqueur.gif
    Don't think of it as an expensive used car. Think of it as a VERY expensive CD player. On wheels.

If you ask me, ALL cars on the road are ugly now. Safety requirements mean they're all big boxy squares with maybe some superficial flares in the fenders. They all look alike.
    That's because of safety regs? You mean nobody builds cars like those cool looking vehicles from the 50's and 60's, ya know, the ones with the tailfins, on account of safety?!

Ember
    I have always liked boxy cars. Of all the cars I've ever owned, the '05 Scion xB was my favorite. It was slow and noisy and harsh, but that made it fun and engaging to drive. It was a magic box, bigger inside than outside. I'll never forget the time I was part of a meeting with a potential donor at his mansion, and I offered to drive. My boss, her boss, and the CEO, all packed into my little 85hp toaster -- that had more room in the back seat than many a Lexus -- looking like we were there to make a delivery. (It also has a CD player, a cheap Dual I'd put in to add an Aux jack and the ability to play MP3 discs.)

We did get the project funded. We looked frugal, I guess.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I just went to check out my next Saab 9-3 (2010, 2.0 turbo >> so much fun that it will be dangerous for my driving licence) with 60K kms ion the counter and already converted to LPG (the good thing is you need to do NOTHING to adapt the Saab-made engines to GPL/LPG, as it was designed to accomodate it).
    The bad thing is that if I dont retire early, by the time I do reach pension age, the car will hover around 350k kms then, which is close to car dump time (especially that it is from 2010).
    It's also quite a gamble because the Saab garages are slowly dying out, as there are less Saabs on the road and parts will become scarcer as time goes on (the laws say that parts must be available for 10 years after stopping the manufacture)

Sounds like a Saab story to me.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

^ I like SAHB stories better.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    It was a magic box, bigger inside than outside.
    Yeah, how DO they do that? Even as a little kid I had to sit sidewise on the rear seat to fit into my dad's 1965 Nash Metropolitan (yellow & white two-tone).

He said it was the only car he ever owned where he could reach over and roll up the right side rear passenger seat window while driving.

Yeah, how DO they do that? Even as a little kid I had to sit sidewise on the rear seat to fit into my dad's 1965 Nash Metropolitan (yellow & white two-tone).

He said it was the only car he ever owned where he could reach over and roll up the right side rear passenger seat window while driving.
    I had always heard that the rear seat of the Metropolitan was a plank of wood. Is that true?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I had always heard that the rear seat of the Metropolitan was a plank of wood. Is that true?
    Lopez. he won't be able to respond. Banned.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)