Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A world with cars without cd players

If I wanted transportation that doesn't have a CD player, I'd buy a horse.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Somebody should start a thread "A world without cars with cd players".

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob
    I suppose car manufacturers decided at some point most people don't use CDs in the car any longer, so they got
    rid of them, or will soon if haven't already. The hell with those folks who still do.
    It's a strange world where car manufacturers can control the media you choose for music, and its availability. Next thing you know, we'll have something like insurance companies controlling health care and its availability.

You can replace the unit if you want a CD player.
    Last time I looked at aftermarket car CD players, they are loaded with features I would never use but would still have to pay for. I can't imagine how long you would have to take your eyes off the road to operate such a device. What ever happened to keeping it simple?

Mostly I use the radio or my 32 gig
    flash drive that has about 450 of my 1,000 cassettes on it. It took me a year to put them on the thing. Like others, I'm not
    going to transfer my CDs at this point.
    I never had any desire to transfer my music from LPs, cassettes and CDs to computer files. To do so would take me the rest of my life, or longer. To do it losslessly might take forever. And what of the wasted years? It's bad enough I'm typing this, so people who may or may not exist can ignore it. I don't have a problem with advances in the technology, just the ending of the old media to ring in the new. When CDs came along, I resisted the change. Not because they weren't handy or sounded bad, but because of the expense. Now I have lots of them. And look. A new LP costs more than twice as much as a new CD, if you can find either. How the turns have tabled.
    Frog in boiling water

I switched from CDs to MP3s years ago, and I haven't regretted it. I use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) with a 200GB SD card just for music, and link it to my car with Bluetooth. It's got 508 complete albums (at full 320kbps rate), and is only 30% full. I like putting it on "full shuffle" while driving as it give me the variety of a radio station without having to fumble with stuff while driving. If something comes on that I want to skip, a simple double-click of the Bluetooth button in my car makes it skip to the next track.

Spellbound - My man pots and pans!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Last time I looked at aftermarket car CD players, they are loaded with features I would never use but would still have to pay for. I can't imagine how long you would have to take your eyes off the road to operate such a device. What ever happened to keeping it simple?
    I have an aftermarket JVC CD player that's very simple and easy to operate, that I got in 2017. Wasn't pricey either. There are still options at least.

I have a $1500 CD player in my car. Because I went with the next model up (Civic -> Accord) specifically because I wanted a car that could still have a CD player
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I have a $1500 CD player in my car. Because I went with the next model up (Civic -> Accord) specifically because I wanted a car that could still have a CD player

The price of being a music fan, eh.

Indeed

I'm already at peace with to the likelihood that my next vehicle won't have the option for CDs anymore. I'll figure something out
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It's a strange world where car manufacturers can control the media you choose for music, and its availability. Next thing you know, we'll have something like insurance companies controlling health care and its availability.
    Agreed. The big 3 US automakers installed only AM radios in their cars well into the 80s. They've always been years behind music technology.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Indeed

I'm already at peace with to the likelihood that my next vehicle won't have the option for CDs anymore. I'll figure something out
    Software hasn't been available on floppy discs for decades. Boy do I miss constantly swapping out floppies when installing a program.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Software hasn't been available on floppy discs for decades. Boy do I miss constantly swapping out floppies when installing a program.
    Oh yeah, well I would just buy 30 floppy disc drives so I could load them all at once so WHO LOOKS SILLY NOW HUH HUH HUH????

Anyhoooo...

I bought my last car like 4-5 years ago. At the time I was buying that car, CDs were still my preferred choice for listening. I've long since switched to other means (USB stick, Bluetooth, etc.).

My friends and I still sometimes make road trips out for music shops, and sometimes we like listening to our CD purchases on the way back home. Having the player right in my car is convenient. But not $1500 convenient. I'll buy a damned Discman and leave it in my glove compartment if we want to go that route.

Hence...at peace

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I like putting it on "full shuffle" while driving as it give me the variety of a radio station.
    Radio stations with variety? Really? On what planet?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ember
    I recognize the attempt at humor here, but I think it bears emphasizing that what companies choose to make and sell is the traditional process of a market economy. When those choices begin to affect the health and safety of the public, that's when government is supposed to step in.

The flip side of the CD-player question is, of course, "why should I be forced to pay for a CD player I will never use?" I felt that way in 2014, when we bought our most recent car, but frankly I mostly resented the space the slot took up on the dashboard. So I bought a CD-slot mount for my phone.

Is there a particular make or model that comes with a really good sound system? I'm looking to buy used, probably in the 2012 range (new enough to have some nice bells and whistles, but old enough to be affordable on my measly earnings). Honda CRV EX-L's check off most of the things I'm looking for (including a 'premium' sound system), but I may need to stick to a sedan (currently have Elantra, so something in the Corolla/Camry sort of thing). --Peter

Agreed. The big 3 US automakers installed only AM radios in their cars well into the 80s. They've always been years behind music technology.

You would need a lot of floppies to install some current programs. Cubase 8 Pro needs 15 G free memory and comes on 2 DVD's. Some documents will take more space, than fits on one floppy.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    You would need a lot of floppies to install some current programs. Cubase 8 Pro needs 15 G free memory and comes on 2 DVD's. Some documents will take more space, than fits on one floppy.
    The new Microsoft Flight Simulator is not even available on disc in the US. There is a physical edition in Europe, which comes on 10 optical discs.

Installation of the standard digital/downloadable version requires 150GB drive space.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The new Microsoft Flight Simulator is not even available on disc in the US. There is a physical edition in Europe, which comes on 10 optical discs.

Installation of the standard digital/downloadable version requires 150GB drive space.
    That is a lot of floppies. It will take forever to install that from floppies and when you're finished there will be another update.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Is there a particular make or model that comes with a really good sound system? I'm looking to buy used, probably in the 2012 range (new enough to have some nice bells and whistles, but old enough to be affordable on my measly earnings). Honda CRV EX-L's check off most of the things I'm looking for (including a 'premium' sound system), but I may need to stick to a sedan (currently have Elantra, so something in the Corolla/Camry sort of thing). --Peter
    I am very happy with the sound system in my car, but it is a 2018 Impala. My old care also had a good system. It was a 2008 Grand Prix, but that is probably older than what you are looking for.

Only in the land of prog will the sound system be more important that the reliability of a car. Don't get me wrong, it's vital and one of my checkmarks. But, you won't see me buying a Chevy because the sound system sounds great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Bought a new 2021 Kia Telluride - no CD player. USB jack plus Android Auto.

My 2010 Audi has a six disc changer plus USB port for mp3s. It will also burn discs to mp3 for you and store locally. It also has a jack for old skool iPod input (e.g. wide plug) which I have my 2009 classic loaded with some tunage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I remember back in the day when floppy drives and blank media were quite expensive, so many people used audio cassettes to save and load programs and data. Cassettes used the same screeching sound as dial-up modems. Computer magazines would include one of those flimsy plastic records with programs on them. One would record that record to a cassette, then use the cassette to load the program into their computer.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I drive a 2015 Camry. It has a CD player but I mostly stream music on YT and Bluetooth it to my car, and my home sound system.

I remember back in the day when floppy drives and blank media were quite expensive, so many people used audio cassettes to save and load programs and data. Cassettes used the same screeching sound as dial-up modems. Computer magazines would include one of those flimsy plastic records with programs on them. One would record that record to a cassette, then use the cassette to load the program into their computer.
    Don't mention cassettes. My first polyphonic synthesizer (a Bit 99) used cassette-tapes, to store sounds. Alway problems with loading, or storing sounds.

Don't mention cassettes. My first polyphonic synthesizer (a Bit 99) used cassette-tapes, to store sounds. Alway problems with loading, or storing sounds.
    I had an Atari 800XL computer with a cassette drive growing up. What a nightmare! Upgrading to a (5¼") floppy drive was a great relief!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I had an Atari 800XL computer with a cassette drive growing up. What a nightmare! Upgrading to a (5¼") floppy drive was a great relief!
    My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, which also worked with cassettes. I had it to learn programming, but the keys were demotivating. Press 3 keys at the same time in order to select a command and with those membrames things often went wrong.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum