Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: A world with cars without cd players

I thought I heard somewhere that 2020 was the last year cars were made with cd players. Is there any truth to that? Or maybe just most of them?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Two of my vehicles only have cassette players.

I had a 2000 Toyota Camry for quite a while (@ 2007-2020) that had a cassette player and a cd player. I didn't use the cassette player much because it didn't work very well. I still have a boombox with a cd and cassette player though. I now have a Prius that only has a cd player (which can be a pain in the butt sometimes). I usually listen to Sirius XM (usually deep tracks or 80s or 90s) with it though but pop in a cd if I'm driving more than just around town.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

2019 Honda CRV
    2019 Mazda 3

Neither have a CD player...Bluetooth only. Spotify and Bandcamp on the go via our phones....that's the way we all go.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I had a 2000 Toyota Camry for quite a while (@ 2007-2020) that had a cassette player and a cd player. I didn't use the cassette player much because it didn't work very well. I still have a boombox with a cd and cassette player though. I now have a Prius that only has a cd player (which can be a pain in the butt sometimes). I usually listen to Sirius XM (usually deep tracks or 80s or 90s) with it though but pop in a cd if I'm driving more than just around town.
    I had a 2001 that had both. The cassette player was crap. I have no use for Siruis XM. I have far too many CDs to bother.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I thought I heard somewhere that 2020 was the last year cars were made with cd players. Is there any truth to that? Or maybe just most of them?
    I heard that too. Might be an option in some cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I have no use for Siruis XM.
    I absolutely HATE Sirius with a purple passion. For one thing their music is compressed to Scheisse, they play obnoxious ads even with the paid service, and it took me six months to convince them to cancel the trial subscription that came with my car.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I absolutely HATE Sirius with a purple passion. For one thing their music is compressed to Scheisse, they play obnoxious ads even with the paid service, and it took me six months to convince them to cancel the trial subscription that came with my car.
    I must have zoned out when I bought my Subaru Impreza because about 3 months or so afterwards I got a call saying the free trial was about to end. They kept WARNING me for about 3 more months and then cancelled it because I never responded. I really didn’t care. Never put it on even once during the free trial period. I had it before and thought it was utter crap. The salesman that sold me the Subaru told me that they change the cars every 5 years I think he said and when these change they will probably eliminate the cd players. I’ve put some music on my phone in the applelossless format and play that sometimes through the apple play app. But for the most part I still just play cds. I don’t know what I’d do without a cd player in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 2020 Nissan Rogue as a company car. It had a CD player as does my wife’s 2019 Mercedes.

Just got a new company vehicle that does not have a CD player, but I am enjoying the complementary Sirius trial.

I wish I had a CD player in the car.

Sometime around 2003 or 2004 that had both a CD player and a cassette player. That was cool at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I had a 2001 that had both. The cassette player was crap. I have no use for Siruis XM. I have far too many CDs to bother.
    Since I travel in 5-10 minute spurts most of the time it doesn't make a lot of sense to start a cd only to hear one or two songs then two more the next day and so on. I do it occasionally but usually my cds are for longer trips (preferably at least 15 minutes). As for Sirius XM I enjoy it to a great degree. I don't hear ads on deep tracks and I only pay maybe 7 dollars a year for it anyway.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As for Sirius XM I enjoy it to a great degree. I don't hear ads on deep tracks and I only pay maybe 7 dollars a year for it anyway.
    How do you manage that, if I might ask?

I have 2015 Camry. Runs great, only 75k miles on it. But the the sound system is shorted out (or something). I can only listen to one radio station. I can play a CD but can't adjust bass or treble, and I can't eject the CD without messing around with the buttons until it finally ejects. I've had stuck CDs in there for a week before it decides to eject. Lol.

Why doesn't someone invent a portable cd player that plugs into the radio like they used to have with the cassette tape and portable cd player.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Because the car companies want you to pay for the streaming service.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

My car is just old enough to have a cd player and I can Bluetooth it with my phone or stick a memory stick thing in. I like the versatility. Stupid to narrow the options down.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Apple CarPlay + Spotify subscription + 100gb of music on iPhone = bliss. Thank god for progress.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I just bluetooth from my phone. I always did hate carrying CDs around with me anyway. Is CD sound quality superior? Sure. Can I carry my CD collection in my pocket? Nope.

The more you ignore the Sirius mailings, the more their price comes down.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

As I mentioned a few posts back, I just bought a 2023 Subaru and the CD player was standard. Can't speak for all carmakers, but Subaru is still putting them in, and I am very happy to have it.

My current car is a 2018 Impala. It does have a CD player, but I had to buy a premium package to get it. The premium package included the better sound system, which I wanted, but also included a sunroof which I was ambivalent about. Whey and sound package and sunroof would be tied into each other I have no idea.

Regarding Sirius, I do have it, but don’t listen to it very often. I do like it for some sports, especially when travelling, but I don’t listen to music on it very often as most of their channels don’t carry much appeal to me.

I bought an extra car in 2018 just so I could get the last CD player - 2018 Honda HRV

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I bought an extra car in 2018 just so I could get the last CD player - 2018 Honda HRV
    Was that the last year Honda put CD players in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Was that the last year Honda put CD players in?
    I think they did it earlier for other models but 2018 was the last year for the HRV.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When I got my '19 it had no CD player, so I got in the habit of carrying around thumb drives for listening.

The past week or so my wife's '13 Lexus started acting up. Every so often it just 'forgets' about the USB drive and stops dead as though it was paused, but won't work at all unless I shut it off, unplug the drive, and plug it back in. Then I get some more playing time, but it'll happen again eventually. At first I thought my thumb drive went bad, but it still works everywhere else, and other thumb drives exhibit the same problem. Replacing the head unit doesn't seem straightforward; the only thing Crutchfield comes up with for that model vehicle is new speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Two of my vehicles only have cassette players.
    In the mid 2000s I upgraded the stereo in the 95 Saturn I once owned. I bought a dirt cheap cassette and radio only stereo. Which I used exclusively with a cassette adapter, plugged into an MP3 player. The other reason I bought it was it only had 2 outputs. Most other stereos had 4: front and rear. The Saturn had 10 ohm speakers. Having only the 2 outputs allowed me to wire the front and rear speakers in parallel. To as closely as possible match the standard car stereo 4 ohm impedance.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    You can get tabletop models cheaper.