Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill -- new album

Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill -- new album

"We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal"

New Psych/Prog album by Amorphous Androgynous (aka Future Sound of London) and Peter Hammill
    Also features Paul Weller (The Jam; Style Council)

Release Date: November 20, 2020

AA cover.jpg

What the ?????

Did not see that one coming!!!

Definitely on my radar.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I picked up the recent RSD Monstrous Psychadelic Bubble release that also features Hamill and Weller, and will be on this as soon as it’s available. I love all things FSOL / Amorphous Androgynous,

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    What is the RSD release? Is it the entire album? Or a collection?
    I'd mentioned in the Jakko thread (which morphed into an AA/Hammill thread, therefore I thought I'd address your question here ;-) ) that there would be a double CD release of the new album (due on the 20th of November) along with the RSD (Record Store Day) release of a month ago.

So, the new album is a 13 minute track called "We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal" which is a composition by the AA/FSOL guys as well as Peter Hammill and Paul Weller (both of whom also perform on the track). The other pieces on the album are variations on a theme, that of the "We Persuade..." tune. The RSD record also played with the "We Persuade Ourselves..." track, but was remixes / re-interpretations by other artists as well as AA. It's all really great stuff, I now have both the RSD and forthcoming album. Really terrific album!
    Last edited by Bucka001; 11-05-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I picked up the recent RSD Monstrous Psychadelic Bubble release that also features Hamill and Weller, and will be on this as soon as it’s available. I love all things FSOL / Amorphous Androgynous,
    +1 on that. I don't love AA as much as FSOL but will be checking this out for sure
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I'd mentioned in the Jakko thread (which morphed into an AA/Hammill thread, therefore I thought I'd address your question here ;-) ) that there would be a double CD release of the new album (due on the 20th of November) along with the RSD (Record Store Day) release of a month ago.

So, the new album is a 13 minute track called "We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal" which is a composition by the AA/FSOL guys as well as Peter Hammill and Paul Weller (both of whom also perform on the track). The other pieces on the album are variations on a theme, that of the "We Persuade..." tune. The RSD record also played with the "We Persuade Ourselves..." track, but was remixes / re-interpretations by other artists as well as AA. It's all really great stuff, I now have both the RSD and forthcoming album (can't say how I have the new one, but I do... ;-) ). Really terrific stuff!
    May I ask what Paul Weller's contribution is?

So, the new album is a 13 minute track called "We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal" which is a composition by the AA/FSOL guys as well as Peter Hammill and Paul Weller (both of whom also perform on the track). The other pieces on the album are variations on a theme, that of the "We Persuade..." tune. The RSD record also played with the "We Persuade Ourselves..." track, but was remixes / re-interpretations by other artists as well as AA. It's all really great stuff, I now have both the RSD and forthcoming album (can't say how I have the new one, but I do... ;-) ). Really terrific stuff!
    This is what I ordered from RT-

1x We Persuade Ourselves we are Immortal, The Amorphous Androgynous and Peter Hammill , LP - Black Vinyl

Released Friday, 20th November 2020

So is this the remix collection or the full album?
    A bit disappointed if it is just the one track...

This is the release page:

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-am...e-are-immortal

Untill this thread appeared I've never heared of The Amorphous Androgynous. I did hear of the Future sounds of London but never connected it with something I should listen to :-)

I like that Peter Hammill is currently doing these collaborations with other artists, of which some are doing something completely different. He is still looking for ways to challenge himself.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post

So is this the remix collection or the full album?
    A bit disappointed if it is just the one track...

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-am...e-are-immortal
    So, what you ordered is a full 41 minute album, described by one of the main AA dudes (Gaz) thusly on his FB page:

“We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal “ is a mini album based on the themes and concepts of its opening 13 min title track written with Peter Hammill ( vocals ) and Paul Weller ( piano / guitar ) . It’s in 6 radically different parts totaling 41 minutes exploring different instruments and approaches from Ligetti like ( 2001: Space Odyssey ) dissonant 50 piece choir ( the Chesterfield Philharmonic Choir ) and moog to a 25 piece string section and harp to twisted post modern samplerdelia ‘ Psych Recap ‘ to the ‘Synthony ( on a Theme Of Mortality ) featuring all manner of vintage analogue synths like the classic 70s Yamaha CS80 ( as beloved by Vangelis ) moog and Hammond to the full blown classic prog rock of the 13 minute opening original song."
    1) We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal
    2) Hymortality
    3) The Immortality Break
    4) Physically I'm Here, Mentally Far, Far Away
    5) Psych Recap
    6) Synthony On A Theme Of Mortality

I can tell you that I've now heard the whole thing (this is me again, Jim) and I love it. A lot of variance and the music is fantastic. Some of it does wash over you and is very beautiful, melancholic even. Other parts are frantic, a total psych freakout ("Psych Recap" especially).

Then, a month ago, there was the Record Store Day release (which is not the one you ordered, and may be very hard to get now as there were only 1,000 made... and it sold out in like a minute...). That was variations on the "We Persuade Ourselves..." track. Another 40 minute (or so) album, totally different music to the upcoming main release you ordered, but still related. That RSD one's really awesome too. Both will be available as a double CD from the FSOL store once the page goes live for the new album (which will be soon but not yet). Here's the cover of the RSD album.

AA RSD.jpg

For even more prog/psych cred (as if you'd need it after Hammill), Brian Hopper plays sax and is all over the 13 minute title cut (he was on Soft Machine's "Vol 2" album from '69 and was part of that whole Canterbury scene early on)

So, what you ordered is a full 41 minute album, described by one of the main AA dudes (Gaz) thusly on his FB page:

“We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal “ is a mini album based on the themes and concepts of its opening 13 min title track written with Peter Hammill ( vocals ) and Paul Weller ( piano / guitar ) . It’s in 6 radically different parts totaling 41 minutes exploring different instruments and approaches from Ligetti like ( 2001: Space Odyssey ) dissonant 50 piece choir ( the Chesterfield Philharmonic Choir ) and moog to a 25 piece string section and harp to twisted post modern samplerdelia ‘ Psych Recap ‘ to the ‘Synthony ( on a Theme Of Mortality ) featuring all manner of vintage analogue synths like the classic 70s Yamaha CS80 ( as beloved by Vangelis ) moog and Hammond to the full blown classic prog rock of the 13 minute opening original song."
    1) We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal
    2) Hymortality
    3) The Immortality Break
    4) Physically I'm Here, Mentally Far, Far Away
    5) Psych Recap
    6) Synthony On A Theme Of Mortality

I can tell you that I've now heard the whole thing (this is me again, Jim) and I love it. A lot of variance and the music is fantastic. Some of it does wash over you and is very beautiful, melancholic even. Other parts are frantic, a total psych freakout ("Psych Recap" especially).

Then, a month ago, there was the Record Store Day release (which is not the one you ordered, and may be very hard to get now as there were only 1,000 made... and it sold out in like a minute...). That was variations on the "We Persuade Ourselves..." track. Another 40 minute (or so) album, totally different music to the upcoming main release you ordered, but still related. That RSD one's really awesome too. Both will be available as a double CD from the FSOL store once the page goes live for the new album (which will be soon but not yet). Here's the cover of the RSD album.

AA RSD.jpg

For even more prog/psych cred (as if you'd need it after Hammill), Brian Hopper plays sax and is all over the 13 minute title cut (he was on Soft Machine's "Vol 2" album from '69 and was part of that whole Canterbury scene early on)
    Aha! thanks for the detailed response, it does sort things out.
    So I bought what I wanted to buy then, missing out only the remixes from the RSD / 2CDs version, I can live with that

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Untill this thread appeared I've never heared of The Amorphous Androgynous. I did hear of the Future sounds of London but never connected it with something I should listen to :-).
    FSOL are the original and more electronica side of the project, but from these seeds the Amorphous Androgynous grew to follow a more psych direction, initially through remix albums under the Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind title. They are really great if you like a psych tint to your music, and they have also issued original albums under the AA banner. There’s a lot to explore if you are minded to, and all of it very interesting.

... as FSOL they even remixed Jon Anderson’s Deseo way back when, so are at home on this page

I don't know if this link will work, but it's a promo vid for the RSD album, and it gives a good vibe for what to expect from the project. Vid is awesome, very trippy...

https://fb.watch/1xiPuUkdp5/

Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    ... as FSOL they even remixed Jon Anderson’s Deseo way back when, so are at home on this page
    Cool! I was just looking on the AA Wikipedia page (which is actually included as a part of the Future Sound of London Wiki page). It appears they've also worked with Robert Fripp in the past. So, three legends of classic Brit prog: Anderson, Hammill, Fripp. Now that's cred! :-)

"That year, they released the limited edition album ISDN, which featured live broadcasts they had made over ISDN lines to various radio stations worldwide to promote Lifeforms, including The Kitchen, an avant-garde performance space in New York and several appearances on the late John Peel's celebrated BBC radio Sessions shows. These shows marked the evolution of the Kiss FM shows of 1992 and 1993, moving away from DJ sets and into ambient soundscapes, with previously released material performed alongside unheard tracks. One live performance to BBC Radio 1 featured Robert Fripp performing alongside the band."

Yeah, I was pretty sure I remembered them working with Fripp around the Lifeforms/ISDN era.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Lifeforms is a pretty good record. Haven't busted it out in while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Lifeforms is a pretty good record. Haven't busted it out in while.
    As much as I love it, I actually love the Lifeforms EP slightly more. Elizabeth Frazer's contributions are amazing.

Lifeforms and Dead Cities are great (the best they ever did)!

Fripp was sampled on Lifeforms on the track Flak.

He also appears on FFWD but afaik the other bandmembers was from The Orb.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    As much as I love it, I actually love the Lifeforms EP slightly more. Elizabeth Frazer's contributions are amazing.
    Haven't heard that! I will check it out.

Totally random tangent. Have you heard Russell Mills/Undark - Pearl + Umbra? Seems like something that would totally be up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Lifeforms and Dead Cities are great (the best they ever did)!

Fripp was sampled on Lifeforms on the track Flak.

He also appears on FFWD but afaik the other bandmembers was from The Orb.
    Yep, Fripp + Orb was FFWD, which is a lovely little album that often slips unnoticed by folks.

Totally random tangent. Have you heard Russell Mills/Undark - Pearl + Umbra? Seems like something that would totally be up your alley.
    Heck yeah, although if I'm being honest I haven't listened to that particular album in a few years. But I got it when it first came out @ Tower Records and I thought it was great.

Mainstream 90's music gave me hives then and it gives me hives now...but some of the best electronic music was happening during that decade. Lifeforms, 76:14, Orbus Terrarum...yeah, big thumbs up for me.

Pure magic

^^ HELL YES. The whole EP is terrific, basically 40 minutes of almost all new material disguised as "variations" of the title track. But this track is the peak.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ^^ HELL YES. The whole EP is terrific, basically 40 minutes of almost all new material disguised as "variations" of the title track. But this track is the peak.
    Cool.

Some of y'all might poop yer pants when I say this, but I think this is what Tangerine Dream was going for with Goblin's Club. Full on 90's approach.