Page 132 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3742

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

So Matt Parker, one of the guys from the exellent Jazz In Britain archival label, has left and set up his own archival label, British Progressive Jazz:

https://britprogjazz.bandcamp.com

He's got some good stuff coming out. Download / streaming only at the moment, guessing that may change with time.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    So Matt Parker, one of the guys from the exellent Jazz In Britain archival label, has left and set up his own archival label, British Progressive Jazz:

https://britprogjazz.bandcamp.com

He's got some good stuff coming out. Download / streaming only at the moment, guessing that may change with time.
    From the BC page:
    PLEASE NOTE:
    Any digital release that sells well will receive a physical release (CD first, followed by vinyl). Since buying the same thing twice is an unnecessary luxury for many people, we intend to offer an exclusive free album from the vaults, which won't be made available to the general public, to anyone who purchases an album digitally and subsequently in a physical format. In essence we're using digital sales as our market research for physical releases and in return you'll get a very exclusive item. Thus, if you want to 'vote' for a particular physical release, the best way to do it is to purchase a digital copy.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Boy that's pretty terrible.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    From the BC page:
    PLEASE NOTE:
    Any digital release that sells well will receive a physical release (CD first, followed by vinyl). Since buying the same thing twice is an unnecessary luxury for many people, we intend to offer an exclusive free album from the vaults, which won't be made available to the general public, to anyone who purchases an album digitally and subsequently in a physical format. In essence we're using digital sales as our market research for physical releases and in return you'll get a very exclusive item. Thus, if you want to 'vote' for a particular physical release, the best way to do it is to purchase a digital copy.
    Thanks - I hadn’t noticed that. Now that I’ve read it, it doesn’t make much sense to me. Many of those who would buy a physical album are precisely those who wouldn’t ever buy a download. Many of those who would buy a download don’t actually want a physical album. It’s like trying to test the market for apples by offering people oranges.

I’m someone who would generally prefer a physical release but will buy a download if I can’t get one, and this approach isn’t even very good for me. Unless I liked something so much I desperately wanted to make them do a physical release (pretty rare) I’d be likely to hold off buying the download in the hope that enough other people do buy it that they then release a CD for me to buy.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 01-13-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Thanks - I hadn’t noticed that. Now that I’ve read it, it doesn’t make much sense to me. Many of those who would buy a physical album are precisely those who wouldn’t ever buy a download. Many of those who would buy a download don’t actually want a physical album. It’s like trying to test the market for apples by offering people oranges.

I’m someone who would generally prefer a physical release but will buy a download if I can’t get one, and this approach isn’t even very good for me. Unless I liked something so much I desperately wanted to make them do a physical release (pretty rare) I’d be likely to hold off buying the download in the hope that enough other people do buy it that they then release a CD for me to buy.
    Good points. I don't know if this has been thought out too well. If you bought a download album and then, say, a CD, and got this 'exclusive free album', would that 'exclusive' album be in download form or in physical form? And if you bought two different albums from this site, would you get two different 'exclusive free albums' or would you get the same one again?
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease (P. Blegvad)

First spin ... great stuff!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Any of you guys know Charlotte Greve / Wood River? I'm quite enjoying this, saw it on a Modern Jazz list on Can This Even Be Called Music?

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Any of you guys know Charlotte Greve / Wood River? I'm quite enjoying this, saw it on a Modern Jazz list on Can This Even Be Called Music?

Yup, Have it and enjoying it. There is a superb live version out there on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Yup, Have it and enjoying it. There is a superb live version out there on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Thx,
    will try to trace the CD down.
    This dares from Octobre 21, so I'll probably pop it in my jazz section list
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

2021 Archie Shepp

2021 Pharoah Saqnders

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Petition - if they collect more than 30.000 norwegian kroner, this album Haakon Graf: Blow Out will be re-issued as CD (at last).

https://www.bidra.no/prosjekt/grafeb...5-5b7738cb2d5f

1 day left - 6000 kr still missing

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    2021 Archie Shepp

2021 Pharoah Saqnders

I'm familiar with "Floating Points" which is a winner here Trane and I have "Let My People Go" waiting in my "wishlist" (bandcamp)
    Good recommendations!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Eberhard Weber !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=thQi-D...ature=youtu.be
    Meanwhile over in the land of saxophone.

PS. could an admin please embed this. I just haven't got the hang of the process.

np:

A fan here!

"Pronounce it “knife.”
    "You will experience a beautiful set of improvised and composed music, dedicated to and inspired by the poetry of Aram Saroyan."

"Inspired by Saroyan’s potent economy, trumpeter Nate Wooley provided his ensemble, whose instrumentation replicates that of Ornette Coleman’s classic late-’50s quartet, with just one 13-bar theme and a handful of looped phrases. Each of the album’s tracks, which last between six and 16 minutes, is developed from these spare resources, but that’s more than enough to fashion an album that bristles with invention."
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

^ I like the players, so I"m quite interested.

I really like this

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Just ordered this yesterday, Ian.

I think Wareham slightly lost his way over the last few years - but this one sounds like a real return to form.

I remember a raw, raucous, brilliant night in a wee underground club mostly used to hosting punk bands, when Acoustic Ladyland played one of the most exhilarating sets I can recall.

It must have been slightly odd for Wareham, to see the next generation - behind Shabaka - sort of pass him by - but without Acoustic Ladyland & Polar Bear, this new renaissance of UK jazz maybe doesn't happen.

Never heard of Polar Bear or Acoustic Ladyland, will check them out.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Where to Start With Jazz Legend Wadada Leo Smith.
    https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/whe...dada-leo-smith

Nice!

(A fan here!)
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I suppose they had to be limited to things on bandcamp, but with the exception of The Blue Mountain... I don't think I would recommend starting with any of those. lol (As much as I love Ten Freedom Summers)

For the Cunies, I would say Spiritual Dimensions & Heart's Reflection would be better starting avenues.