Page 142 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 3705

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

I've loved this band ever since I saw Jim Black with Ellery Eskelin and Andrea Parkins up close and personal in '05 or '06. The first three Alasnoaxis albums get spun regularly here, although not for awhile. Seeing this will change that, and may finally inspire me to seek out the remainder of the catalog. Their music is fearless; relying on texture, mood, and ambiance rather than chops (of which they all have plenty) or typical jazz harmonic language. Thanks for sharing!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I've got a copy of the first AlasNoAxis CD on the way so I look forward to spinning that one when it arrives. I've known of Jim Black for over 30 years but somehow never heard about that group.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The new Tyshawn Sorey trio album 'Continuing' is extremely rewarding

https://tyshawn-sorey.bandcamp.com/album/continuing
    Agree!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Great band I'm just now discovering.
    Oh Hell yes. Never saw this video, thanks. I have all their albums. Skuli is a hero of mine.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Volker%u00252BKriegel%u00252BMissing%u00252BLink.jpg

Volker Kriegel: Inside Missing Link, 1972

A double album featuring Eberhard Weber, Albert Mangelsdorff, John Taylor, Alan Skidmore, John Marshall. It's being re-issued on CD and vinyl next month.

Jamming some Rod Levitt right now.

New from Peace Flag Ensemble.Been diggin' this for the past few days.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I quite liked that, Zeulhmate - though I found it slightly too arranged, that the sheer number of musicians on stage almost crowded out the potential space within the music, which stopped it from being able to "soar".

Here's something from the other end of more or less the same spectrum of music!

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

Here's something from the other end of more or less the same spectrum of music!
    A great track and I must investigate further. Dave Holland accompanied another oud player, the Tunisian Anouar Brahem, on the excellent Blue Maqams (ECM 2017). Blue Maqams is one of Brahem's finest albums, and includes Jack DeJohnette on drums and Django Bates on piano.

Brahem, Holland and John Surman had also collaborated on 1998's Thimar, but this is (IMO) less successful because of Surman's distinctive (and perhaps overpowering) sax.
    Last edited by Munster; 08-01-2023 at 06:18 AM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    A great track and I must investigate further. Dave Holland accompanied another oud player, the Tunisian Anouar Brahem, on the excellent Blue Maqams (ECM 2017). Blue Maqams is one of Brahem's finest albums, and includes Jack DeJohnette on drums and Django Bates on piano.
    Hah - thanks for this quid pro quo, Munster - I'll check this one out, for sure!

If you don't know Youssef's work, this concert from 2013 gives a prettygood introduction to his music:

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I quite liked that, Zeulhmate - though I found it slightly too arranged, that the sheer number of musicians on stage almost crowded out the potential space within the music, which stopped it from being able to "soar".
    The original studio version from 'Red Hail'. His most 'electric' album (synths and heavy guitar appears occasionally)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah that one seems a bugger to find, going for well north of $40 on Discogs, not on bandcamp, $90 on Amazon. I have Mockroot and The Call Within but haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post

Brahem, Holland and John Surman had also collaborated on 1998's Thimar, but this is (IMO) less successful because of Surman's distinctive (and perhaps overpowering) sax.
    Interesting... Never really investigated Brahem's works.

But I find that Dhafer Youssef's main interest is his amazing voice and the way he mixes it in his music with westerners.
    Just like Ibrahim Maalouf did when he first started outy. I have much less interest in RABIH ABOU-KHALIL , because he's remained (to my knowledge anyway) too traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The original studio version from 'Red Hail'. His most 'electric' album (synths and heavy guitar appears occasionally)

Still my fave of his, but haven't been able to locate my copy for almost 10 years.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This Clip was met with a deafening silence over in the Sax on the web forum. "Moldy Figs" perhaps? I think the guy has the beginnings / embryo of something or perhaps
    it's just " Smooth Jazz from the TikTok generation".
    Last edited by clivey; 08-04-2023 at 04:21 PM.

New(CD is available for pre-order on Bandcamp) from drummer Tomas Fujiwara. This session is a trio with Patricia Brennan on vibraphone and Tomeka Reid on cello.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    New(CD is available for pre-order on Bandcamp) from drummer Tomas Fujiwara. This session is a trio with Patricia Brennan on vibraphone and Tomeka Reid on cello.

Very nice " teaser".
    Very refreshing to hear the Cello take on the Contrabass role.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Released today, Aug 11th, Blue Cranes - My Only Secret. As Steve F stated, an excellent return to form, this is a cracking album.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Released today, Aug 11th, Blue Cranes - My Only Secret. As Steve F stated, an excellent return to form, this is a cracking album.

Listening now. Fantastic is about right.

Loving the "liner notes" and the freedom that adding the drums last has given to the pieces. Yeah .

Has anyone else got hold of the Impulse release of the (re-)discovered recording of the Coltrane Quartet with Eric Dolphy, at the Village Gate in November 1961? - if so, what are your thoughts?

For me, it's one of the most interesting of these discoveries from the vaults, for two main reasons. First, Dolphy is a much more integral part of the music than he is on the Village Vanguard sessions - you get much more sense of the band as a Quintet, & of how Dolphy was influencing Coltrane "in the moment". Second, the set list is amazing, including what I believe is the only recorded live performance of Africa. Overall, the sound quality is reasonable, & the performances are very good.

Listening to the lp, I have found myself drawn repeatedly to the recordings of the same group in Northern Europe, performing shows just a few days later. I think overall, that I possibly prefer these latter recordings - partly because the sound is more often than not a bit better; & whilst the set lists are maybe not so exciting, I think that the performances are perhaps slightly better - as if the band is benefitting from playing together. In particular, it's utterly fascinating listening to the six or so performances of My Favourite Things - all of which are remarkable in different ways. There are also some gorgeous performances of Naima.

Anyone else familiar with these recordings?

^^^^Probably my fave rendition of "My Favorite Things" circa late 1961.From the Pablo box.Trane's solo is..."beyond category".

I'll take a listen to this, Walt - I'm guessing this will be one of the two Olympia shows. I think Dolphy drops out for the first show - is he on this one?

Funnily enough, it was exactly these two Paris performances of My Favourite Things that I was thinking of, when I was typing my message - I absolutely agree, I think that they are my two favourites amongst all the many I've heard! - the crowd response towards the end of Coltrane's solo in the second show is amazing - they suddenly start to roar, carried away in the intensity of what Coltrane is doing!

ps/edit - yes, listening to this, I'm pretty certain that it is the 2nd show at the Olympia - &, definitely, Coltrane's solo is unreal!!
    Last edited by per anporth; 08-12-2023 at 05:05 PM.

Gang:
    New album from Johnathan Blake.

“One of the most accomplished drummers of his generation, has also proven himself a complete and endlessly versatile musician. Blake’s gift for composition and band leading reflects years of live and studio experience across the aesthetic spectrum.”
    https://www.johnathanblake.com/
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.