Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 3731

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

I sat out in the sun yesterday and really enjoyed listening to this drama concerning the working relationship between Ellington and Strayhorn. Hope it's available where you happen to reside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0400mh7

Vinnie Colaiuta interview with John McLaughlin.

Austrian guitarist Gerald Gradwohl. Jazzrock/Fusion familiar with Wayne Krantz, Holdsworth, Oz Noy, Carl Verheyen

https://gradwohl.bandcamp.com/album/...adwohl-or-what

Gerald Gradwohl - guitar
, Adam Nitti - bass
, Kirk Covington - drums, vocals
    also featuring:
    Bill Evans - sax
 Gergo Borlai - drums
, Stephan Maass - perc.

Dave Holland's new quartet played SF Jazz recently--they are on fire. Dave is kicking it HARD.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Dave Holland's new quartet played SF Jazz recently--they are on fire. Dave is kicking it HARD.
    I would love to have seen him here, but tickets were more than 120$ - because it was a small venue.

New album Strangeness Oscillation by 137, this is really good:

Gritty but fairly accessible improv with a rock slant. 137 is Larry Stabbins, Jim Barr, Adrian Utley and Seb Rochford - need I say more??
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Gritty but fairly accessible improv with a rock slant. 137 is Larry Stabbins, Jim Barr, Adrian Utley and Seb Rochford - need I say more??
    I will be dedicating most of tomorrow over to listen to this. I have a fond liking of Larry's playing as I was privileged to support him and his band Working Week back in 85. He is a monster player and I look forward to listening to the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Wow - a veritable supergroup!!! I've followed the various groups these four guys have been involved with since the very early 80s (Stabbins in Weekend).

Here's a cover of Coltrane's great "Africa" by a recent band - Stonephace - that Stabbins led:

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    I will be dedicating most of tomorrow over to listen to this. I have a fond liking of Larry's playing as I was privileged to support him and his band Working Week back in 85. He is a monster player and I look forward to listening to the album.
    Did you play with Working Weekend in Edinburgh, Clivey? - if so, I would almost certainly have been in the audience! I vividly recall that, back in 84/85/86, all my flatmates & I would throw some shapes to a number of 12" records on Friday evenings, before we headed out on the town together in Edinburgh, & "Venceremos" was one that got very regular plays!

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Did you play with Working Weekend in Edinburgh, Clivey? - if so, I would almost certainly have been in the audience! I vividly recall that, back in 84/85/86, all my flatmates & I would throw some shapes to a number of 12" records on Friday evenings, before we headed out on the town together in Edinburgh, & "Venceremos" was one that got very regular plays!
    Working Week were a staple of my acid jazz phase back in the day...at that time I was ignorant of Larry's stellar history in the British 'out' jazz scene, as I only came to that music later. A veteran and true hero of British music!

One thing that all four guys in this band have in common is having worked across both accessible, commercially successful music and considerably more left-field stuff. Fair to say that 137 is toward the left-field end.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Alas The Edinburgh gig night support was cancelled, 11th hour, due to technical issues of soundcheck. We were in the audience and backstage but played the next evening up in Dundee University.
    See here: https://dundeegig.weebly.com/university.html

That was one powerful lineup they had on that tour. Great times. I always remember the cool skinnyness of them all. Touring can do that.
    Last edited by clivey; 08-14-2024 at 12:41 PM.

Ornette Coleman-Ornette!,the quartet session from 1961 with Ornette,Don Cherry,Scott LaFaro and Ed Blackwell,has been re-issued(along with the "Free Jazz" date from 1960 on Ezz-thetics(Hat Hut).Both dates on one cd.

What makes this reissue noteworthy for me is the superb mastering and sound restoration ,particularly on the quartet date,Ornette!!.Scott LaFaro's double bass is so much clearer and well placed in the mix, far better than i recall hearing on older cd's of the date.It's almost as if i'm hearing it for the first time and it's a knockout to listen to it for LaFaro's mastery.

As with most of these re-issues on Ezz-thetics, i assume the artists and their estates don't get any money from the label(please correct me if i'm mistaken about this).I'm also curious where the label gets its source material for the sound restoration and mastering since they're (apparently) not working from original tape/file material.The engineer does a superb job with whatever he's working with.

https://www.hathut.com/albums/ezz-thetics-1172
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

As with most of these re-issues on Ezz-thetics, i assume the artists and their estates don't get any money from the label(please correct me if i'm mistaken about this).I'm also curious where the label gets its source material for the sound restoration and mastering since they're (apparently) not working from original tape/file material.The engineer does a superb job with whatever he's working with.
    Hat Hut was a great label. But unfortunately, the owner sold the catalog and re-emerged as a grey market CD peddler. I found out after I purchased the Andrew Hill Point Of Departure / Compulsion!!!! Revisited CD. This version of Departure sounds slightly better than the crappy RVG Edition I had previously purchased. I didn't notice much difference with Compulsion!!!! But at full retail price, I doubt I'll be buying any more. And as you mentioned, the source material is unknown.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Is that why Anthony Braxton's Willisau 91 live set was never resiussed?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

This label owns the Hat Hut catalog. They have a listing for the Braxton CD.

https://outhere-music.com/en

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I can only find the studio CD on that website.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I can only find the studio CD on that website.
    Your right about that. I don't know if that label has any plans for more Braxton re-issues.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Your right about that. I don't know if that label has any plans for more Braxton re-issues.
    It would be beyond frustrating if they stopped just before the finish line.

One potential slight good news is hathut did just release (or re-release, I'm unsure) a solo braxton date. So I will die of hope if nothing else.

FRIDAY 09 JULY 2010 • AMAZON • Ahoy Hall, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Ornette Coleman (alto sax, violin, trumpet); Joshua Redman (tenor sax); Al Mac Dowell, Tony Falanga (bass); Charlie Haden (double bass); Denardo Coleman (drums).

So good!

Reggie Workman, Andrew Hill, Sam Rivers, Julian Priester, Pheeroan Aklaff.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

FRIDAY 09 JULY 2010 • AMAZON • Ahoy Hall, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Ornette Coleman (alto sax, violin, trumpet); Joshua Redman (tenor sax); Al Mac Dowell, Tony Falanga (bass); Charlie Haden (double bass); Denardo Coleman (drums).

So good!
    Just what was going through Ornettes mind? Anyone else watching this picking up on the gypsy vibe. From the very first note the audience would have known what they were going to receive. Just wow at what the man set in motion.

Just what was going through Ornettes mind? Anyone else watching this picking up on the gypsy vibe. From the very first note the audience would have known what they were going to receive. Just wow at what the man set in motion.
    I enjoyed their improv on the Bach Cello Suite No.1

Some Norwegians chanelling Pharoah:

This is definitely NOT your casual cool-jazz.
    Mindblowing live performance !
    Band leader Mats Gustaffson is a genius, pushing the conventional jazz idioms limits over the edge, and farther.
    Jazz isn't dead...