Page 52 of 149 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3705

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

OK, my jazz history is a little scant. Did this stolen tape stuff really happen? Miles shooting out of car window?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hamilton de Holanda Quinteto:

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Picked these ones up this week, all very good

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    OK, my jazz history is a little scant. Did this stolen tape stuff really happen? Miles shooting out of car window?
    Jergo,

I also don't recall reading anything like that happening

Don’t Call Don Cheadle’s New Miles Davis Movie Miles Ahead a Biopic
    "I care personally about when Miles met John Coltrane," Don Cheadle said at the premiere, "but I don’t need to make that be a part of the film unless somehow that factors into the forward thrust of the movie we’re trying to make. It’s not to me about hitting signposts along the way, and Miles was never about that. I felt like for this particular artist it would really be a violation to try to do something standard and something kind of cookie-cutter." Davis's notoriously protective estate was surprisingly onboard (which makes the Cicely Tyson omission particularly interesting). "And thank God his family was of the same mind," said Cheadle, "because it would have been impossible had they wanted some very paint-by-the-numbers story told. But when I said, 'Do you think your uncle, do you think your father would have wanted a movie like that? Or do you think that he’d want a movie that he would star in?' Because for me it was always Don Cheadle is Miles Davis as Miles Davis in Miles Ahead. That’s how I thought about the movie." ~ source Vulture New York Film Festival. Interview Don’t Call Don Cheadle’s New Miles Davis Movie Miles Ahead a Biopic
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/don-c...i-biopic.html#

I watch anything I can find regarding Miles. This interview, for me, was great to see.
    Miles looked bored, while watching this I felt sorry for him, other times he was annoyed and ignored the dumb questions.
    The interesting fact here is that Miles ignored other musicians and asked who the organ player was. He was Joey DeFrancesco, who soon after this show went on tour to Europe with Miles Davis for 5 weeks and later played the keyboards on Miles Davis album Amandla.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    I watch anything I can find regarding Miles. This interview, for me, was great to see.
    Miles looked bored, while watching this I felt sorry for him, other times he was annoyed and ignored the dumb questions.
    The interesting fact here is that Miles ignored other musicians and asked who the organ player was. He was Joey DeFrancesco, who soon after this show went on tour to Europe with Miles Davis for 5 weeks and later played the keyboards on Miles Davis album Amandla.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    No. The film is NOT a standard biopic. It has elements of that, but is also a caper film with Miles Davis as a character. The plot was created out of thin air - it never happened.

Reaction to the film at the NY Film festival was so lukewarm that it was scrapped for a 2015 release when it became apparent that it didn't have a chance to win anything during awards season.

You can read the reviews on Metacritic. Most regard it as a missed opportunity.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/miles-ahead

So far the reviews on Metacritic are good, 5 positive and 4 mixed, 0 negative. Well have to wait for the release in 2 months and see how it does.
    I am looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    I watch anything I can find regarding Miles.
    http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/...o/M/bo18802194
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Time for dust off some classics of the house ...!.

- Eric Dolphy-Out to Lunch! *****

Next in line:

- The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out .****

- Andrzej Kurylewicz Quintet ‎- 10 + 8.****

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Thank you for that book link, Mogrooves.

I think this is more aimed at Musicians.

N.W.:

From Costa Rica,
    Antimateria-Live (great fusión-jazz rock-experimental-blues-instrumental trio)

Last edited by TCC; 02-06-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Aka Moon - Guitars ***
    R-5574400-1430090498-4256.jpeg.jpg

"Guitars is a 2002 album by jazz band Aka Moon. It was recorded in two days (August 18 and 19, 2001) at Studio Jet (Brussels, Belgium). It is the third CD from the 11-CD box edited by De Werf. Tracks 4, 5 and 6 are dedicated respectively to Jimi Hendrix, Jaco Pastorius and John Scofield, three great "guitarists"."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitars_(Aka_Moon_album)
    Last edited by TCC; 02-07-2016 at 12:18 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Ô-liostére - 2 Virgule 4 (Circonflexe/2014)

Ô-liostére - Polymorphisme (Circonflexe/2014)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Beledo - Dreamland Mechanism (01/19/2016)

Mercury In Retrograde at Mexicali Live NJ 09/19/2014

Mechanism at Mexicali Live NJ 09/19/2014

i.ain't.dead.irock

My favourite brass instrument is the saxophone, this said MILES Davis trumpet playing and the way he reached such low notes has me in awe too but only he overall could do that play tunes too. John Coltrane is brilliant he plays tunes too nothing like Miles ofcourse with his Trumpet, Miles was way ahead but Coltrane, hi too I can listen all day.
    Miles to me plays bleeding notes, I could describe him like Jeff Beck on guitar also plays bleeding notes.

I love this jazz, both playing tunes, coming together and ending up playing lead and response between Chat Baker and Gerry Mulligan, (yeah I know Mulligan and guess what? I know he white too! ) my least favourite bit about this is the bass, the tum tum tum double bass but here it's good.

Various Artists
    The Best Of Polish Jazz 2005. ****

Polish Jazz 2005.jpg

http://www.polishjazz.com/2005/

"While America waits for the next big thing in jazz, they should turn to the east, to Poland, a country that has been making consistently great music for 40 plus years. It is criminal that American jazz fans are so completely unaware of this music. If you are expecting some sort of abrasive free blowing or watered down post-bop, you are in for a big surprise. This music encompasses every genre of jazz, even genres that don't exist. Regardless of the style, this music is never, never pretentious and has more soul, whether it's Slavic soul or whatever, than what is passing for jazz in the States. The Polish version of jazz is as pure as music can be. It is not blending different types of music, i.e., jazz, ethnic folk, classical to create some kind of hybrid; it is a totally seamless combination of sounds based on the love of creative music and the joy that the music bestows on the listeners. In a nation with such a turbulent recent past, it is hard to imagine that these extraordinary musicians devoted themselves to this music for any reason other than love of jazz. […] Polish jazz could make “jazz” popular music again in America, if only Americans had the chance to hear it. (From the liner notes of The Best of Polish Jazz – 2 CDs, 2005)"
    Last edited by TCC; 02-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Polish Radio Jazz Archives 22 - Jazz Jamboree '64. Volume 3 ****
    5724383.jpg

More info.:
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...ee_64__vol__3/

http://sklep.polskieradio.pl/Product...-64-vol-3.aspx

The archives: great selection of musics and history !!.
    http://sklep.polskieradio.pl/Categor...px?PageIndex=1

About the series:
    "... the new series of releases initiated by the Polish Radio, which presents archive Jazz recordings. Radio recordings are always a fabulous source of remarkable material, and as far as Polish Jazz history is concerned, the Polish Radio, which was a state monopoly for 45 years, recorded over time a plethora of invaluable material, which apart from the albums released by the Polskie Nagrania record company (also a state monopoly), is the only additional source of Polish Jazz recordings. For many years Polish Radio recorded concerts presented during Poland's most important Jazz venue, the annual Jazz Jamboree Festival and many other festivals as well."
    Last edited by TCC; 02-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Polish Radio Jazz Archives 20 - Jazz Jamboree ´64 Volume 1 ****
    JJ 22 Vol1.jpg

More info.:
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ree_64__vol_1/
    Last edited by TCC; 02-09-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Picked these ones up this week, all very good
    +1
    Thanks for the H.U. NogbadTheBad:
    Especially in search of Ergo with which I 'm most familiar, what about the other 2?. (like it!).
    Last edited by TCC; 02-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    +1
    Thanks for the H.U. NogbadTheBad:
    Especially in search of Ergo with which I 'm most familiar, what about the other 2?. (like it!).
    I'm on a Gutbucket kick at the moment having seen them live a couple of weeks ago. The one I posted in the new one, Dance, that benefits from being live and having that extra energy feel. They're hard to describe, high energy, punky, funky, squonky jazz. I have the feeling I going to be buying most of their catalog.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.