Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sean Malone- RIP

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Here's a live-performance of Cygnus And The Sea Monsters, featuring Sean, Paul Gilbert, Mike Portnoy and Jason McMaster (available on the DVD The Drum Pad's 50 Anniversary Show):

Sean is a little more Jeff Berlin than Geddy Lee in that performance, but he definitely delivers the goods! The "Heart of the Sunrise" reference at the beginning of "Cygnus X-1" was a nice bit.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP

I either didn't know or forgot that he was on the first OSI album - I got a lot of mileage out of that album back in the day.

Does anyone know why the first Cynic album was notoriously so poorly mixed?

PS - Wouldn't it be easier if we were all named Sean?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'll pull Gordian Knot's Emergent from the stacks tonight in memorium.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RIP
    PS - Wouldn't it be easier if we were all named Sean?
    I wouldn't count on it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Is your name not Sean? Mind if we call you Sean to make things easier?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I had a friend named Sean Duffy back in the 80s. I used to call him Seen Duffy? .

So sad to hear this. RIP Sean

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    [this is a crosspost from my FB page]

I am deeply saddened to read the reports of the passing of Sean Malone.

In 1996 I decided to spin off a metal oriented label which ultimately became known as Sensory Records. I was contacted by Sean Malone to see if I had interest in an unnamed project he was working on. I was familiar with Sean’s work with Cynic and the names associated with the project were intriguing. The names changed as the project developed, ultimately culminating in the first Gordian Knot album. This was a foundational release for Sensory. Between the time of the first Gordian Knot album and the follow up, 2003’s Emergent, we brainstormed on a number of potential projects but they didn’t materialize for various reasons. Emergent was another successful release which saw Sean bringing on board two of his musical heroes Bill Bruford and Steve Hackett. I know that was a thrill for him. A few years later at Sean’s request we re-released his solo debut album Cortlandt.

Sean was more than a composer and musician with prodigious abilities. He had a brilliant mind. His job as an academic is a testament to this. Sean was deeply interested in the work of Glenn Gould, writing papers and presenting lectures on various aspects of Gould’s career.

His devotion to teaching curtailed his recording and touring output. When Cynic reformed we were graced with another outstanding example of his amazing abilities. He was slowly working on a third Gordian Knot album but his teaching demands cut into his time and it never came to fruition. I can only imagine what might have been.

I was honored to see him perform in the studio during the Gordian Knot sessions and on stage – solo and with Cynic. He was a phenomenal bass player and his work with the Chapman Stick simply bordered on wizardry - a master at his craft.

I wish he was more prolific but what he left us with will continue to resonate for years to come.

Rest in peace my friend.
    Ken, thanks for sharing this. I'm too late to the party on this music, but would very much like to buy physical product of the Gordian Knot sides and also Cortlandt. I looked on the Laser CD site to no avail. Are CDs still available or are they OOP?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Are CDs still available or are they OOP?
    They've all been out of print for well over a decade.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I first saw Sean doing a solo set at one of my first NEARfest's. Thought his appeal would take off from there- very talented- RIP - very sad. I always enjoyed his music.

Ken, thanks for sharing this. I'm too late to the party on this music, but would very much like to buy physical product of the Gordian Knot sides and also Cortlandt. I looked on the Laser CD site to no avail. Are CDs still available or are they OOP?
    Any chance you have a Time Machine ™ parked out back?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They've all been out of print for well over a decade.
    I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Any chance you have a Time Machine ™ parked out back?
    Sadly, no; just the one between my ears, and that won't help in this case.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I still enjoy the debut Gordian Knot, especially the first half of it. I never really got into their second release.

But in 1993 (on , Cynic were - musically speaking - almost revolutionary. They took the 'progressive' in metal to a wholly different dimension; they were the GGiant to DTheater's Yes and Watchtower's KCrimson and Mr. Bungle's HCow.

I still think Focus was one of the 10-15 or-so most rewarding metal listens I encountered back then, and it definitely changed a lot of my prejudice towards the possibilities and sensitivities of so-called extreme metal, whereas I remained mostly continuously unimpressed with the both the general international death metal-enterprise and those local black metal-artists (in Bergen/Norway) who'd later go on to more-or-less global "renown".

When I got Traced In Air in 2008, I was pretty puzzled by its reception. They should have conquered that whole scene with that release, but little happened. It reminded me of how cLOUDDEAD were greeted with hip-hop-fanatics. I suppose it mattered that I didn't see it from adequately "metallic" iinsider's angle, but I really expected for them to appeal to fans of bands like, well, unexpecT and the like.

Alas current metal is in equally as much a state of obvious stagnation as other rock forms, I guess things will pass either way.

Listening again to Focus and Gordian Knot right now, his contributions both compositionally and performance-wise is central to the success of just about everything in their sound.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I still enjoy the debut Gordian Knot, especially the first half of it. I never really got into their second release.

But in 1993 (on , Cynic were - musically speaking - almost revolutionary. They took the 'progressive' in metal to a wholly different dimension; they were the GGiant to DTheater's Yes and Watchtower's KCrimson and Mr. Bungle's HCow.

I still think Focus was one of the 10-15 or-so most rewarding metal listens I encountered back then, and it definitely changed a lot of my prejudice towards the possibilities and sensitivities of so-called extreme metal, whereas I remained mostly continuously unimpressed with the both the general international death metal-enterprise and those local black metal-artists (in Bergen/Norway) who'd later go on to more-or-less global "renown".

When I got Traced In Air in 2008, I was pretty puzzled by its reception. They should have conquered that whole scene with that release, but little happened. It reminded me of how cLOUDDEAD were greeted with hip-hop-fanatics. I suppose it mattered that I didn't see it from adequately "metallic" iinsider's angle, but I really expected for them to appeal to fans of bands like, well, unexpecT and the like.

Alas current metal is in equally as much a state of obvious stagnation as other rock forms, I guess things will pass either way.

Listening again to Focus and Gordian Knot right now, his contributions both compositionally and performance-wise is central to the success of just about everything in their sound.
    I think they did pretty well with Traced In Air. They toured and played to much larger audiences. Album sales were pretty good - I think the band actually made money.

They didn’t conquer whatever was left of the scene because there had been lots of bands influenced by Cynic that came and went over the years between the albums. The critical and fan response to Traced In Air was extremely positive but there was no longer something unique about the band.

They had a damn good run once they reformed.

^ Yes, I surely recall interviews with happening bands like Between the Buried & Me namechecking Cynic and praising their return, and I believe the band's influence was also somewhat felt with mathcore-groups like Converge and Fuck the Facts at the time. Still one would perhaps expect more overall recognition of a group as obviously influential when two core members fall away so tragically in the same year. I mean, these were relatively -young- guys of significant talent.

Of course, pandemic shit could easily have something to do with it, yet there's also the whole "hysteric shit" about identity-politics going on now (not going into it, relax). To that extent I remember a rather discreet attention in fringe/genre media when Reinert and Masvidal came out of the closet in the wake of Roddy Bottum's (Faith No More) and Gabe Serbian's (The Locust), and they kept speaking quite a bit of it in terms of musical-cultural analysis, which was at least intriguing.

These are indeed dreadful times.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Gonna spin the classic first OSI disc this morning. RIP
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

would very much like to buy physical product of the Gordian Knot sides and also Cortlandt.
    Both GKs are on Discogs, no copies of Cortlandt however.

I’ve read a few pieces that are assuming suicide. Despair is the worst. I lost my brother in law to suicide. It still hurts. The darkness, especially with those of supreme talent, is hard to digest. I’ve battled depression for years, so losing someone so gifted is difficult to grasp. I’d do anything to have his talents. How do we prevent suicide? How do we bridge the gulf between depression and self peace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone know why the first Cynic album was notoriously so poorly mixed?
    Don't know, but there is a remaster from 2004 (Roadrunner), which also includes some bonus tracks and liner notes. Can't compare, but maybe that one is mixed better?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I’ve read a few pieces that are assuming suicide. Despair is the worst. I lost my brother in law to suicide. It still hurts. The darkness, especially with those of supreme talent, is hard to digest. I’ve battled depression for years, so losing someone so gifted is difficult to grasp. I’d do anything to have his talents. How do we prevent suicide? How do we bridge the gulf between depression and self peace?

Really and truly sorry to hear about your brother in law's death. I'm guessing the woodworking helps with the depression. Best to you and your family.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Woodworking saved me, for sure. Thank you!

Oh this is horrible. As a big fan of Gordian Knot and Cynic, it was so hard when Sean Reinart died. but now Sean Malone?? Ugh. He had such a wonderful style...like no one else.

Gutted.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Woodworking saved me, for sure. Thank you!

I think I've already said this but your woodwork is stunningly impressive!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Just getting around to post after reading this sad news a few days ago.

Very sadden by the passing of Sean. His solo Stick piece Grace is one of the most beautiful pieces of music to these ears. Many times I listen to Grace to lift me up, I will do so in this case.

A talented man, Sean. A great loss.
    Condolences to those who knew him best.