Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The History of Yes Pt. 2- 1980 to 2021 w/Henry Potts & Aymeric Leroy

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Cool vids, thanks. That's actually his Gibson Les Paul. The fretless was a Guild JS II.
    I had no idea he ever used one! Are there any better quality pictures of him playing it? Or, indeed, any insight into why he chose to use it for that particular song? Thanks!
    King Crimson Falkoner Teatret, Copenhagen 23.09.2016
    Roger Waters Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona 13 & 14.02.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Half Moon, London 23.05.2018
    Yes feat ARW The Barbican York, 13.06.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Roundhouse 24.09.2018
    Steve Hackett London Palladium 11.10.2018
    Steve Howe The Albany, London 31.10.2018
    Trevor Horn Royal Festival Hall 01.112018
    Fish Islington Assembly, London 07.12.2018
    Steve Hackett Bath Forum 20.11.2019

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm about an hour in - will watch everything, but my initial impression is that this is the best researched and produced series for SOAL. It's very thorough with well informed opinions on the different iterations of Yes and their offshoots.

I also enjoyed the stage show section in advance of the formal discussion on Yes history. For me personally, I can't remember all the shows I attended in the 80s/90s/00 (a bit of a blurr) and forward but I saw several. Older highlights were the '79 show (the pinnacle), the 91025 show (very enjoyable), ABWH (a highlight for sure), the reformed Yes show at Massey Hall with Igor (again, an emotionally powerful show where I met Rik Emmet leaving the show and he said Howe was his favourite guitarist!) and the Open Your Eyes tour on the idyllic Montreal Island (for free). with the Orchestra (also in Montreal). As I said, foggy memory but several other Yes shows.

Where I'm writing I'm looking at my Yes memorablia (autographed guitar in a shadow box with a Atlantic series gold Fragile disc and box floating in the shadow box, an autographed 35th anniversary Rhino poster framed, large framed lithograph of Relayer artwork signed by Jon, etc.) I also have 2 complete Japanese Mini-Lp Box sets with the Relayer and Tales artwork on the boxes and slew of various CDs, magazines. My most valued piece is my Tales Seriograph (looks like a painting) on parchment paper signed by Roger in a huge frame. Okay, I'm getting carried away!!!

Compliments on the collaboration between you 3 and allowing everyone to fill in the blank spots for a coherant story. I'm really appreciate of the work that goes into these shows and the knowledge sharing. I hope these shows are starting to reach a wider audience.

On to the next 2 hours and 18 minutes! I'm definitely enjoying every minute.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-17-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: !
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I had no idea he ever used one! Are there any better quality pictures of him playing it? Or, indeed, any insight into why he chose to use it for that particular song? Thanks!
    I have one of him actually playing it, but I can't seem to get it to upload. Size seems OK, so IDK what's up. I also don't know why he chose it for that song. The pic I have shows him playing it finger style (possibly while holding a pick). Here it is on a stand.

big_chris-squire-backstage-corbis-650-80.jpg

I watched another hour into the show. I'm amazed by the detailed analyisis of the different interations of Yes, it's very impressive. I missed the Union tour but watched it on video. I think Union is pretty unforgetable release though. I'm glad you each saw that show because it must have been a groundbreaking experience.

I enjoyed the Yesyears boxset and program at the time but it only collects dust now. I agree that 91025 was an incredibly well produced and executed album with catchy melodies. I enjoyed that tour but have seldom revisted it over the years. I would have loved it had Jobson stayed on.

I was surprised to hear the lukewarm bordering on negative views on Talk. That is very easily my favourite Rabin era Yes album. The tour in Montreal was excellent and memorable. Endless Dreams is classic Yes for me. I even like the artwork on Talk.

Interesting analysis on KtA 1. Yes, this was a thrill to see the near classic line up back together. It was a return to progressive rock and the live tunes were great. I really liked most of the studio tracks from both I and II. Be The One and Mind Drive are my favourite tracks.

There is nothing from Open Your Eyes that is of any value. The turmoil you describe in this line up is apparent on album. The free concert in Montreal was magical. I don't think they played much from the OYEs album.

I'll return to the remainder of the interview tomorrow.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-18-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I watched the rest of the show - it was excellent. Thanks to each of you.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-19-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks for the support, Greg! That was a fun one to do.

Just finished listening to Part Two. Great stuff as usual Sean! Finally got to see Henry! Cool to have my name mentioned briefly in "The History of Yes"!!! So I made it! That's all I needed man. Just a mention (even if it's as a Prog Imposter!!!! hahaha). Thanks for that. It was funny. "It's all leading up to THIS!". Hilarious.

Cool to read you guys talking about Dunnery. It was fun and funny working with him on our Yesterday and Today tribute. He's more of a Gabriel-Genesis guy and any time we were doing a cover of Rush, Pink Floyd or Yes he'd say something that made it sound like he didn't want to do it but then he'd say "no no I'll do it. Give me the tracks" and he actually did a really cool interesting job! He's one of those guys who is going to do his spin on it and it's not going to sound like the original singer (unless it is an old Genesis track where you'd be hard pressed to tell if it wasn't Peter Gabriel). So, when he did "Starship Trooper" it almost sounds like Peter Gabriel sang in Yes! haha. Although when he trades guitar solos with Fernando Perdomo at the end of Wurm it's something else. He's incredible. His solo on Rush's "Freewill" sounds like Alan Holdsworth came by to rip your head off! Listen to THIS!

Anyway, thanks for doing these SOAL Night Live episodes Sean. They're just great. I'm up for doing more whenever you want. Also, Henry, I'm experimenting with yet another semi-Yes offshoot project that could involve someone from another Prog band you guys like as well. I have the material (not a whole album but at least half of one) and can't decide whether to go head on into that "Supergroup" territory (because it's kind of a double-edged sword... it seems like as many people love that concept as there are people who are tired of it) or to just roll it out home-made and play all the instruments ourselves (Fern is in this one with me this time). We'll see. But, either way the songs are fun. Very retro 70's-infused Prog this time. Oh and I co-write, co-produce and co-sing this time as well as keys so it's quite different from Arc of Life in that respect.
    For my solo albums Dave Kerzner and my bands/projects In Continuum, Sonic Elements, Mantra Vega, Squids Out To Sea and more go to: http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com Sound of Contact available on Inside Out Arc of Life on Frontiers

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Just finished listening to Part Two. Great stuff as usual Sean! Finally got to see Henry! Cool to have my name mentioned briefly in "The History of Yes"!!! So I made it! That's all I needed man. Just a mention (even if it's as a Prog Imposter!!!! hahaha). Thanks for that. It was funny. "It's all leading up to THIS!". Hilarious.

Cool to read you guys talking about Dunnery. It was fun and funny working with him on our Yesterday and Today tribute. He's more of a Gabriel-Genesis guy and any time we were doing a cover of Rush, Pink Floyd or Yes he'd say something that made it sound like he didn't want to do it but then he'd say "no no I'll do it. Give me the tracks" and he actually did a really cool interesting job! He's one of those guys who is going to do his spin on it and it's not going to sound like the original singer (unless it is an old Genesis track where you'd be hard pressed to tell if it wasn't Peter Gabriel). So, when he did "Starship Trooper" it almost sounds like Peter Gabriel sang in Yes! haha. Although when he trades guitar solos with Fernando Perdomo at the end of Wurm it's something else. He's incredible. His solo on Rush's "Freewill" sounds like Alan Holdsworth came by to rip your head off! Listen to THIS!

Anyway, thanks for doing these SOAL Night Live episodes Sean. They're just great. I'm up for doing more whenever you want. Also, Henry, I'm experimenting with yet another semi-Yes offshoot project that could involve someone from another Prog band you guys like as well. I have the material (not a whole album but at least half of one) and can't decide whether to go head on into that "Supergroup" territory (because it's kind of a double-edged sword... it seems like as many people love that concept as there are people who are tired of it) or to just roll it out home-made and play all the instruments ourselves (Fern is in this one with me this time). We'll see. But, either way the songs are fun. Very retro 70's-infused Prog this time. Oh and I co-write, co-produce and co-sing this time as well as keys so it's quite different from Arc of Life in that respect.
    Big Dunnery fan here, thanks for that Freewill clip, absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Big Dunnery fan here, thanks for that Freewill clip, absolutely amazing.
    Here you go then. This is a fun "What if Francis Dunnery was on the More Drama Tour?" example. https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/t...rancis-dunnery
    For my solo albums Dave Kerzner and my bands/projects In Continuum, Sonic Elements, Mantra Vega, Squids Out To Sea and more go to: http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com Sound of Contact available on Inside Out Arc of Life on Frontiers

"Anyway, thanks for doing these SOAL Night Live episodes Sean. They're just great."

The pleasure if mine. Thanks for tuning in! I will definitely have you on again in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Cool vids, thanks. That's actually his Gibson Les Paul. The fretless was a Guild JS II.
    I think that Squire used this same Guild fretless on Turn of The Century during later tours as well. I think the live video they released of their last tour with Anderson shows the Guild on that tune. Also Steve Howe using the Les Paul on the same tune. Other songs where you can see Howe with a Les Paul would include Don't Kill The Whale, Run Through the Light and Ritual. I don't think there is an official live video of Run Through the Light but ther are audience videos from the Topographic Drama tour which you can look up. I think the Les Paul he used on Ritual mught be a different model than the one he used on those other tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post

I loved Dunnery's take on Starship Trooper - particularly his vocal during the acoustic section. And a fabulous version of Wurm, BTW - in my mind that has the flavor of The Yes album with a bit of YesWest and Wembly '78 thrown in.

Also, some days I think the Genesis Revisited II version of Suppers Ready may be my favorite take on that song. Each vocalist is superb and Dunnery's take on the final segment is sublime. I always wondered if each vocalist recorded a lead vocal for the whole tune, and the final mix used a portion of each singers parts - or did they go in to it thinking that Simon Collins would only sing that middle section, etc?

"I think the Les Paul he used on Ritual might be a different model than the one he used on those other tunes."

Yes. That is his Les Paul JUNIOR model on Ritual. A budget version of the Les with a very specific tone that was different than the 'big' Les Pauls.

JR.jpg

And this Les Paul (a rather fancy version they called THE Les Paul).
    Les.jpg

That one is all over Tormato and select Drama tracks like Machine Messiah. Pretty sure he got it during the G4T1 era. I thiiiink it's in the footage of them recording that album. Pretty sure. They first made these in '76 so the timing is just right. Though the live footage from the '77 tour is kinda dark and grainy, you can bet it's the same one because he never had one prior to this that he used with Yes. Other than the Junior....

Here's a vid about it....

He sold it though and has used a different red one live ever since. I hear THE Les was very heavy and while it looked amazing, wasn't the greatest Les around when it came to tone and playability.

2nd.jpg
    Last edited by Sean; 12-21-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Wow I have never seen these videos about Stve Howe's Les Paul - very interesting! Thank you for sharing that.

This is a great thread for bringing back happy memories. I’m going to devote one of these lockdown holiday days to watching all of the videos abs rekindling the excitement that going to a Yesshow brought back then.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I loved Dunnery's take on Starship Trooper - particularly his vocal during the acoustic section. And a fabulous version of Wurm, BTW - in my mind that has the flavor of The Yes album with a bit of YesWest and Wembly '78 thrown in.

Also, some days I think the Genesis Revisited II version of Suppers Ready may be my favorite take on that song. Each vocalist is superb and Dunnery's take on the final segment is sublime. I always wondered if each vocalist recorded a lead vocal for the whole tune, and the final mix used a portion of each singers parts - or did they go in to it thinking that Simon Collins would only sing that middle section, etc?
    OT talking about Genesis in a History of Yes thread but... we recorded both Simon and Francis singing the whole second half of the song. But, only ended up using Simon in two sections and Francis in the end section. I am doing a new Genesis tribute album with Fernando Perdomo and on that one I think we'll have Francis sing the whole second half of Supper's Ready and this time I'll use the keyboard parts I did that didn't end up on Steve's Genesis Revisited II. I did one pass that was more traditional which is what they wanted and another that had a kind of modernized "Sound of Contact"-style approach to the keyboard solo section. Right before the 666 section I did this sort of eerie "Day In The Life" orchestral thing instead of the guitar scrapes thing. I always liked it so this is a chance to share that approach. It's coming out Q1 of 2021. All sorts of people you know are on the album. Some surprises too. But, anyway... back to the history of YES! haha

Some of the songs listed are well rated, not overrated, for example. Relayer, including To Be Over, are highly regarded by Yes fans. I'd probably say the same things as the Revealing Science of God, but less so, as Tales is both revered and scroned by Yes fans. Then, for Time And A World, is underrated as this is a less played Yes album but a brilliant song. I think That, That Is from Keys is an excellent song and I'm pretty sure most would agree.

"Spirit Of Survival" (from Magnification) is my choice for underrated Yes song. Such a powerful piece of music.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think That, That Is from Keys is an excellent song and I'm pretty sure most would agree.
    I think it's terrific; taken as a whole, possibly the best Yessong since the '70s. But all I've ever heard around these parts was derision for the "crack time" lyric. Poor Jon! He gets ridiculed for writing about fairies and unicorns, but when he tries writing about something real, he gets ridiculed for that too.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I think it's terrific; taken as a whole, possibly the best Yessong since the '70s. But all I've ever heard around these parts was derision for the "crack time" lyric. Poor Jon! He gets ridiculed for writing about fairies and unicorns, but when he tries writing about something real, he gets ridiculed for that too.
    I have never understood why people mock that "crack time" section. Maybe there is some kind of language barrier as I am not native English speaker. I think those lyrics are quite powerful.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

It's not so much about the lyrics themselves, it's just that for Jon to take on such a subject matter had a distinct smell of him trying to be "relevant" to the era. It seemed contrived, and totally unlike him. Perhaps he misunderstood, but that's what a lot of people thought - that it was embarrassing to see Yes trying to appeal to a younger audience in that manner... all the while returning to their 1970s style, musically.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    It's not so much about the lyrics themselves, it's just that for Jon to take on such a subject matter had a distinct smell of him trying to be "relevant" to the era. It seemed contrived, and totally unlike him. Perhaps he misunderstood, but that's what a lot of people thought - that it was embarrassing to see Yes trying to appeal to a younger audience in that manner... all the while returning to their 1970s style, musically.
    The funny thing to me about that lyric was that he used the name Shirley for one of the crackhead girls! Even in the 1990s, Shirley was a very old-fashioned name.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Even in the 1990s, Shirley was a very old-fashioned name.
    No it's not. It's a perfectly ordinary name even today. It's just not enormously popular as it was back in the days when Shirley Temple was making movies and everyone was naming their girls Shirley.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No it's not. It's a perfectly ordinary name even today. It's just not enormously popular as it was back in the days when Shirley Temple was making movies and everyone was naming their girls Shirley.
    Speaking as someone who was in his late teens and then twenties in the 1990s, I never met or knew one girl named Shirley. Nor have I known one since then, unless she was someone's mom or something. Maybe it's a more popular name elsewhere, but around here it's old-fashioned.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***