Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I'm going to open it, listen and read for a number of days and up on the shelf it will go perhaps never to be heard again
    I would never buy a box that I didn't think I'd listen to fairly regularly.
    The only box set I've ever picked up where that's not true is the (to me) boring Derek and the Dominoes box, and I only got that because it was something like $10 new, on cassette. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I still find it boring.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ This was a pretty funny typo!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own about 30 Japanese Mini-Lp Box Sets (some costing $600). I've never opened them. They are collector's items. I own duplicate discs to listen to. I won't apologize for this.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I would never buy a box that I didn't think I'd listen to fairly regularly.
    The only box set I've ever picked up where that's not true is the (to me) boring Derek and the Dominoes box, and I only got that because it was something like $10 new, on cassette. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I still find it boring.
    I do the bulk of my listening with Qobuz, for example I ordered the new Nad Sylvan CD from his website but did my listening on the app, when the signed copy arrived I placed it on the shelf with my other CD's, will I crack the shrink wrap, perhaps not, so what? I'll listen to the re-worked Tull material from the CD box, read the material and put it away, if I get an itch I can always listen on the app unless I'm in the mood for 5.1 sound or the Slipstream video.

My package arrived today from Import Cd's so I'm happy as a clam with the service, great looking package too! Now if I can only find the time to give it the attention it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Another amazon customer - got it on Friday, as promised.

I probably should have refrained from posting until I spent more time with this release... but there is something I wanted to get out there... I am sad that this band did not stay together - circumstances of how it came to be aside, this is a very good, viable version of Tull... I remember, the video where Dream Theatre documented their process to get a new drummer, replacing Portnoy... Petrucci, said something that has stuck with me ever since... "the replacement must be UNDENIABLE" - how true ( regardless of what they did! ).

With that in mind, I like the Tull from "A"

- Ian Anderson, Martin Barre: Well, no need for comment

- David Pegg: Undeniable, if not as a replacement for John Glascock, who was a monster bassist, at least, undeniable as a bassist for Tull, with his Fairport pedigree... plus, well, he was already in Tull, just hadn't recorded with them...

- Eddie Jobson: Undeniable, even when judged against the fact that he replaced TWO keyboard players, including one that was the arranger... Curved Air, Crimson, Roxy, U.K. - a monster player AND a writer, plus, well versed in technology.

- Mark Craney: well, that was the "who?" part. But he sounded like a good drummer. Definitely not undeniable as a Barrie replacement... but he did a good job and I was sad to hear about his illness and eventual passing. R.I.P, Mark.

Was hoping to hear more from this lineup - because they actually gave us a very good Tull album - concise yes, but in truth, Tull had stopped being expansive a while ago; memorable songs, great tunes. And with SW mix, I can hear the give and take between Ian's flute and Eddie's synths.

That's all, YMMV

v
    I totally agree that it's really a shame this band didn't stick around for another album or two. I know Jobson was billed as a guest but wasn't UK's goose already cooked by the time -A- came out?

Also if anyone is curious about Mark Craney's undeniability check this out -

You know? With all this silliness over the release of A, I’m surprised no one seems to be blowing a gasket for Ian selling a book of lyrics for $700.00 AND It was Sold Out before the press release!

Anyone know of a Prog act selling a book of lyrics....or anything for more than $700.00?

Maybe I should start a new thread for the most expensive Prog item that also Sold Out?

(Full disclosure....I DID pay $350.00 for the next cheapest version )
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post

If it makes you happy, I see no problem spending $300 for something you value.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Maybe I should start a new thread for the most expensive Prog item that also Sold Out?
    Someone dropped 10K on the deluxe edition of Steven Wilson's latest album, and since there was only one made, I suppose you could say it sold out right then and there.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I totally agree that it's really a shame this band didn't stick around for another album or two. I know Jobson was billed as a guest but wasn't UK's goose already cooked by the time -A- came out?
    Jobson simply didn't want to join Tull on a permanent basis and insisted on the guest status. Terry Bozzio also turned down repeated offers to join Tull.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Jobson simply didn't want to join Tull on a permanent basis and insisted on the guest status. Terry Bozzio also turned down repeated offers to join Tull.
    wonder if Jobson would have joined if Bozzio did given they were in UK together.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

My educated guess..Jobson was set on doing a solo album, and may have used the Tull gig to settle debts left over from U.K.

Fondelulia! It arrived 2 days early! 511065A8-E74E-4F09-AFA0-E8A8197F15F8.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I exercised great restraint. I ordered 2 months ago from Amazon.ca and it was going to ship tomorrow. I paid over $58 Cdn. Well, Import reduced the CD package to $48 Cdn with shipping! Amazon was going to ship tomorrow so I'll have to wait an extra week or two but save $11.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    wonder if Jobson would have joined if Bozzio did given they were in UK together.
    The notes to the box set put a lot of stress on Jobson's not wanting to be in anybody else's band after UK. He was already working on his solo album at the time. I'm not sure exactly how that jibes with his 15 minutes as a member of Yes, but obviously his heart was never really in that.

Incidentally, the box set persistently misspells Bozzio's name as "Bozio."

You know? With all this silliness over the release of A, I’m surprised no one seems to be blowing a gasket for Ian selling a book of lyrics for $700.00 AND It was Sold Out before the press release!

Anyone know of a Prog act selling a book of lyrics....or anything for more than $700.00?

I went for the $35 version, rumor has it my words are the same as your words, lol.

Coriusk great track. Think we’ve gained over 20 new studio tracks from this series so far. Most of them very good. A couple of slightly unfinished ones on Heavy horses but overall an awesome series. Excellent production and tonnes of strong tunes. Tull are 10% better than they were before this series. No band comes close really lol. How awesome will broadsword be with much improved production and 42 studio tracks

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Also if anyone is curious about Mark Craney's undeniability check this out -
    You beat me to it... I was going to post that Gino Vannelli performance to demonstrate Craney's worthiness. I'll go a little farther, though. I would say that the A band was as good a live unit as the "classic" band. I'm not saying the material was equal, but as a live unit they were fantastic. If you are not convinced watch the Slipstream live tracks. Listen to the LA show. Listen to some boots. They rock hard, dazzle with virtuosity and are so tight. They could stop on a dime if need be.

Compare that with the Broadsword band. Conway plods and Vettese lacks the color, flair, playfulness, pomp, etc., of Jobson's work. Don't get me wrong. Broadsword is a good album, very good even, but the available live shows suggest something is very much missing relative to the A tour. I would even say that the Under Wraps band thanks to Doane Perry is a pretty big step up from Broadsword. But still not in the league of Jobson, Craney and the A lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Conway plods
    I just noticed that the Jethro Tull website now relegates both Conway and Paul Burgess (who replaced him on the second leg of the Broadsword tour) to "guest" status in Tull's history.

Yep, I think there's a reason Barre so often cites the musicianship in his glowing praise of the "A" tour, and he's hinted in the past that he wished that lineup continued on further.

You have to give Pegg kudos for nailing the bass parts to Black Sunday while singing such wordy backing vocals. That's a tall order!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Compare that with the Broadsword band. Conway plods and Vettese lacks the color, flair, playfulness, pomp, etc., of Jobson's work. Don't get me wrong. Broadsword is a good album, very good even, but the available live shows suggest something is very much missing relative to the A tour. I would even say that the Under Wraps band thanks to Doane Perry is a pretty big step up from Broadsword. But still not in the league of Jobson, Craney and the A lineup.
    I actually liked Vettese quite a bit, or at least he seemed to be the right guy for the direction IA was going at the time. I really liked his work on Under Wraps and Walk Into Light and was happy as shit to see him show up on Kazumi Watanabe's Spice Of Life Too.

I just noticed that the Jethro Tull website now relegates both Conway and Paul Burgess (who replaced him on the second leg of the Broadsword tour) to "guest" status in Tull's history.
    He's right about Conway. When you've got a band with a bunch of great drummers — Barlow, Craney, Perry — you have to wonder how Conway got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    When you've got a band with a bunch of great drummers — Barlow, Craney, Perry — you have to wonder how Conway got the job.
    I expect he was buddies with Dave Pegg.

Makes you wonder if nobody else wanted to play with Ian at the moment.

If "Conway" is Gerry Conway, then I'd surmise that you are correct.

Conway was a member for a minute and then a guest. Burgess I guess never was a full member. Dave Mattacks is also on there as a guest.