Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I actually liked Vettese quite a bit, or at least he seemed to be the right guy for the direction IA was going at the time. I really liked his work on Under Wraps and Walk Into Light and was happy as shit to see him show up on Kazumi Watanabe's Spice Of Life Too.
    I don't know whether you would agree with this distinction but I like Vettese in the studio. Ian needed an 80s synth guy who understood textures and orchestration and Vettese fit the bill--he does a nice job on Broadsword and Walk into Light in that regard. But live, IMHO, he was struggling to keep up. Didn't really have anything of his own to say and just got through the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I don't know whether you would agree with this distinction but I like Vettese in the studio. Ian needed an 80s synth guy who understood textures and orchestration and Vettese fit the bill--he does a nice job on Broadsword and Walk into Light in that regard. But live, IMHO, he was struggling to keep up. Didn't really have anything of his own to say and just got through the parts.
    Really?

Yes: an amazing live unit. Despite the opening act (Whitesnake), that evening at the Oakland/Alameda County Colisseum (or was it the Arena? Can't remember....) was magickal, one of the finest concert experiences of my life, up there with Nektar at NEARFest, or any of the times I've seen King Crimson.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Heh. Vettese looks like a classic nurd. Perfect for Tull!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Really?

That duet spot doesn't change my assessment, no. It is pretty silly and gratuitous. But those kinds of things are fun if you are actually at the show so I understand why bands do them.
    Last edited by arturs; 04-21-2021 at 02:02 PM.

A more recent gig with Vettese: Corrado Rustici Trio feat. Steve Smith.

Steve should just stick to drumming.

You are probably right about that as i have never had the opportunity to see Tull spanning from after the -A- tour up until after Crest was released (Fairport Convention opening was a real treat!), for some reason Ian and company never came to St Louis during those years and only sporadically after that.

The '82 drum/keyboard clip is pretty cool actually sounding like something completely different from what i was used to hearing at Tull concerts. Conway definitely doesn't suck, more of a big beat rocker. Vettese on the other hand seems more of a fusion player and totally makes sense where he ended up after Tull.

That Corrado Rustici clip is interesting, best part of it is the Vettese Rhodes solo, guitar player channeling Holdsy and McLaughlin sounds good, and Steve Smith is a fantastic drummer but WTF is with the scat?
    Last edited by progholio; 04-21-2021 at 05:56 PM.

the white Bobby McFerrin??
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I think Smith was going for something like this, not uncommon with Indian percussion players.

Or here, where it kicks in about 5:30.

Not my favorite thing to listen to, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I think Smith was going for something like this, not uncommon with Indian percussion players.
    And in this recent commercial:

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Steve should just stick to drumming.
    D.mn, I should have checked which of the Corrado Rustici Trio-clips I posted, because the scat-thing isn't my favorite piece of the DVD either. Well, you can pick up some more from https://www.corradorustici.com/videos

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    pre-Tull, Mark Craney was *probably* best known for being the drummer on Jean-Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage album and also being the drummer for the '76 tour for that album, along with Ponty, Daryl Stuermer–guitars, Allan Zavod–keys, Tom Fowler-bass: pretty good band!
    Post-Tull Craney can also be heard on the first two Ph.D-albums. Although Simon Phillips is the main-man on drums, Craney plays on tracks like this one, Poor City:

Funny he also played on two tracks from the album by Ten Seconds feat. R. Fripp, where the main-drummer was William (Bill) Rieflin.

Here's Craney drumming in Hightwebs:

It is pretty silly and gratuitous.
    Yeah, do they think they're in a progressive rock band or something?

That Nightwebs vid is pretty cool.

A couple of curiosities -

Why didn't Craney hang around with Tull after -A-?

and why didn't he land some higher profile gigs after stints with Gino Vannelli and Tull?

Maybe this was pointed out before, but is there any information in the book about the trio Mark Craney, Eddie Jobson and Bon Lozaga formed before the first two joined Anderson for "A"? I believe the recordings they made weren't impressing EG'-Records enough to give them a recording deal.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Maybe this was pointed out before, but is there any information in the book about the trio Mark Craney, Eddie Jobson and Bon Lozaga formed before the first two joined Anderson for "A"? I believe the recordings they made weren't impressing EG'-Records enough to give them a recording deal.
    A web search turns up somebody named interbellum asking about that project back in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Why didn't Craney hang around with Tull after -A-?
    About the only clue to that we get in the box notes is Dave Pegg's story that on the way home from the final gig of the tour, Ian informed him he would be changing the lineup, and asked if he still wanted to be in the band. Since Martin was (then) indispensable, Peggy is being invited to stay, and Eddie wasn't committed to Tull anyway, the only change left to make was a new drummer.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    About the only clue to that we get in the box notes is Dave Pegg's story that on the way home from the final gig of the tour, Ian informed him he would be changing the lineup, and asked if he still wanted to be in the band. Since Martin was (then) indispensable, Peggy is being invited to stay, and Eddie wasn't committed to Tull anyway, the only change left to make was a new drummer.
    I haven’t completed the A book but there might be another reason.....Ian had suspicions that Mark might have had a drug issue and confronted him about it. Turns out the drug in question was Insulin! Ian was quite embarrassed afterward by his own admission. Mark was already stopped by customs at one border for “herbs” in his luggage. The herbs were legit but he said “Thank God they stopped there before they found the needles!”

Now, I don’t know how much Ian knew about Diabetes in 1980 but blood sugar issues on the road could be a problem when you are trying to keep “the circus” on the road. This was also only a few months after the death of John Glascock......I'm not saying their conditions were the same.....but once again....the risk to health of one of your bandmates (employees) must be taken into consideration. IMHO. YMMV
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I read an interview with Craney once where he said he used his earnings from "A" to buy a house in his hometown in Sioux Falls, SD, and then received a letter from Ian saying that he'd decided Tull needed to have all members living in England. (I guess Doane Perry had better luck later in the 80's).

Incidentally, I also read that just before he got the Tull gig, Craney was one of the many drummers who auditioned for Frank Zappa's 1980 tour when Vinnie Colaiuta left.

After Tull, Craney rejoined Gino Vannelli and was in this video where he mimed to a track Vinnie recorded (the video doesn't show him much but there's a closeup at 1:25).

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    (I guess Doane Perry had better luck later in the 80's).
    Not entirely, considering how frequently he got replaced by Gerry Conway, Dave Mattacks, or Ian's drum machine. In particular, he's only on two tracks on Crest of a Knave.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had never heard of Gino Vannelli before reading this thread, and I don't know if I've ever heard his music! I'll check out a couple of those hits and see if they sound familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I had never heard of Gino Vannelli before reading this thread, and I don't know if I've ever heard his music! I'll check out a couple of those hits and see if they sound familiar.
    Wow, really? Around here, you couldn't escape songs like Black Cars or Wild Horses when they were hits. But that might have just been because of our Canadian content rules.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did you listen to FM radio in the late 70s? Too much schmaltz for me, but he got a lot of airplay.