Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    I think that's all of us! I totally thought it was called that too. That brain games show had episodes that showed how our minds fill in the "blanks" with things we see or don't see....I think this was onecof those scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    I can't believe I've been singing and reading it as Flyingdale for forty years.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Lorne, the review didn't seem at all overlong to me!
    That's good. It's not to me either, but you do lose people when it goes on too long sometimes. I find I can just get away with it when it's something like this, a big reissue of a popular artist. But I wouldn't dream of making a review of a new album or a lesser-known artist this long. Especially with so many people who read things on their phones nowadays, because it seems like more scrolling. I always design the layout for a desktop PC screen, but I know that's not how most people read things these days.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nice job, Lorne, and nary a mention of Martin's corpulence to be found! One thing - I'm wondering why you didn't comment on the early version of "Cheerio" that's included? I'm also wondering why they didn't save that for the Broadsword reissue? What do you think? I guess they have enough associated tracks, included in the 20th anniversary box, to sell us again with Broadsword.

I'm embarrassed to say, I still thought it was "Flyingdale Flyer!"

Your comment on the jumpsuits reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George gives the NY Yankees new, all-cotton uniforms!
    Strictly speaking it should be Fylingdales Flyer. They are plural, plural!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's good. It's not to me either, but you do lose people when it goes on too long sometimes. I find I can just get away with it when it's something like this, a big reissue of a popular artist. But I wouldn't dream of making a review of a new album or a lesser-known artist this long. Especially with so many people who read things on their phones nowadays, because it seems like more scrolling. I always design the layout for a desktop PC screen, but I know that's not how most people read things these days.
    It's true that for a review of a regular album this might have been too long. I often skim reviews very fast to get to the end and just get the gist of if the reviewer liked the album (or movie, etc.), and I know the last sentence or two will hold that info. Reviews for reissues like these though, are something I enjoy reading. We want you to hit all the bases, which you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Me too.

I always design the layout for a desktop PC screen, but I know that's not how most people read things these days.
    Just wanted to chime in and say... please keep it up! While I too know what you say to be true, you're one of the only reviewers that I regularly read (and I enjoy you're interviews even more) and I'm someone who uses my phone for phonecalls, text msgs & email but when it comes to reading or watching something on the web, it's all about the pc for me.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and say... please keep it up! While I too know what you say to be true, you're one of the only reviewers that I regularly read (and I enjoy you're interviews even more) and I'm someone who uses my phone for phonecalls, text msgs & email but when it comes to reading or watching something on the web, it's all about the pc for me.
    Wow, thank you very much! Very kind of you.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Wow, thank you very much! Very kind of you.
    Talk about a compliment. That's awesome feedback. I'd just echo that I always read your reviews with interest.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    When I ripped my CD, the title autofilled with "Flyingdale" and didn't even need me to type it in wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well done! I got a kick out of your aside about the jumpsuits.
    In Dave Pegg's book, he had a recollection about the jumpsuits. An aide dropped off a box at his room and told him to put it on and stand outside his hotel room door at an appointed time. Opened the box and saw the suit. He thought it was a "new-guy-hazing" thing and thought best to go along with the joke. Went in to the hallway at the appointed time and then realized it wasn't a joke as the whole band was out there in jumpsuits. As big as Tull were at the time.....they still had to do their own laundry.....he said a lot of times the suit wasn't completely dry before packed so they created their own kind of Road-funk.

As for Martin hiding behind the door, didn't they do that with Kieth Moon behind a chair a few years earlier.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    didn't they do that with Kieth Moon behind a chair a few years earlier.
    Labelled, with profound irony, NOT TO BE TAKEN AWAY.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

For those interested, here is an interview I did for Rock Society magazine with Martin Barre back in 2018 when he released his latest studio album. We do briefly discuss the A album as well as his thoughts on the Wilson remixes. Not many people outside of the U.K. saw this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O7q...ew?usp=sharing

^^^ Very nice interview. It shows (once again) what a nice, humble and intelligent guy Martin is. I love Martin's quote about the A deluxe set:

But you’ve already got the A album, it’s on a CD and it was released way back then, and that’s what I’ve got. I don’t need another version of it, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Very nice interview. It shows (once again) what a nice, humble and intelligent guy Martin is. I love Martin's quote about the A deluxe set:

But you’ve already got the A album, it’s on a CD and it was released way back then, and that’s what I’ve got. I don’t need another version of it, personally.
    He was a treat to talk to. Very genuine, very chatty and lots of laughing. I still have the recording of his first (very short) call to me too, where he was a bit flustered and asking if he could call me right back in two minutes because he realized he was using the wrong phone line, and it was going to 'cost a fortune'. Those are always the little moments I'm most fond of. Musicians truly are a scatterbrained bunch.

Speaking of all that, I've just declined - for the third time in five years - an interview with Ian Anderson, because he is very regimented in his routine and will only do interviews in the early morning - U.K. time. Which would mean here in Canada I'd be getting up at 3:30 am and waking up my wife, doing an interview in the pitch darkness. So unfortunately I've had to pass yet again... but I did supply quite a few questions to our guy who is doing it, so that's good enough for me!

One of my favourite shelves.

tulla5.jpg

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

tulla5.jpg
    _______________^showoff

tulla5.jpg
    What a tease! Now you have to show us the Marillion section too!

tulla5.jpg
    What a rack!

tulla5.jpg
    Mine too

What a rack!
    A fitting comment from our resident Fondler!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

What a rack!
    Racket?

Nah, these are the way all boxes should be. The amount of extra stuff is mindblowing - still.

So, Lorne, you got the full set in advance, eh? Why do we still have to wait a whole month?!

So, Lorne, you got the full set in advance, eh? Why do we still have to wait a whole month?!
    Certain labels are good like that, if you have a solid relationship they treat you well. Others don't even send a single CD, it's digital files no matter what.