Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Gosta Berlings Saga - Konkret Musik

FEATURED ALBUM: Gosta Berlings Saga - Konkret Musik

In continuing to explore some of the interesting and underexposed releases from 2020, next up is the latest from Sweden's Gosta Berlings Saga. Their latest album "Konkret Musik" jumps around between industrial landscapes, punchy electronics, and dystopian overtones.

Review from Progarchives
    Two years on from the slice of excellence which was 'Et Ex' and the eclectic Swedes are back with their sixth album. Since the beginning, David Lundberg (Fender Rhodes, Grand Piano, Mellotron & Synthesizers) and Alexander Skepp (Drums & Percussion) have been firmly at the helm, while Gabriel Tapper (Bass Guitar & Moog Taurus Pedals) has been there since 2004 and Rasmus Booberg (Guitars & Synthesizers) joined just after the last album. However, they have now expanded to a quintet with the addition of percussionist Jesper Skarin (Misery Loves Co/Switch Opens) and have dived firmly into the world of Krautrock. While they have been influenced heavily by Tangerine Dream in the past, this sees them moving much further into the genre, even using many old synthesisers (care of producer Daniel Fagerström) and creating something which is both dated and right up to date.

The strange thing is it is probably the guitar and especially bass guitar which provides the life to this album. The keyboards may move and swirl, but those give the direction and power: one knows this is music which is designed to be taken out on the road when the opportunity arises as opposed to being just a studio operation, as it has that vitality and drive. There is also a strong use of dynamics and contrasts, and this is brought together with repeated melodies and tangents which make this a compelling piece of music. They have also moved towards shorter songs, with only one breaking six minutes while they had four of that length or more on the last one. The title track itself sounds like Kraftwerk being brought into a rock environment, with pounding drums at the back and guitar/bass taking over from the synths when the time is right. I really enjoyed their last album, which was something of a breakthrough for them in many ways, but this one is actually better. If you have yet to investigate Gösta Berlings Saga then now is the time to do that with 'Konkret Musik' - Kev Rowland

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I played it a couple of times when it was out and I enjoyed it but I did not enjoy it enough to keep playing it. I will need to revisit to refresh my memory.
    Last edited by thedunno; 02-11-2021 at 09:29 AM.

After being lukewarm on Et Ex, I sampled this one pretty closely before taking the plunge. Glad I did, as there really isn't anything here that interested me. I was taken by the energy and strong melodies on the first two albums. They did dabble with some minimalism, quite effectively, imo. But the had a very strong core sound that was at once familiar and fresh.

For me, they started going downhill on Glue Works, and though Sersophane was maybe a slight return to form, I don't think they've ever equaled those first two albums. With Et Ex, they really start to move in a totally different direction, and Konkret Musik continues in that vein. I'm sure there are those who like this, and I respect the band for following their own path. But I think I'm probably off the bus at this point. I just don't find this kind of stuff interesting. I'm probably going to unload Et Ex at some point, though unloading CDs isn't the easy task it used to be. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Bill

First album was very good. Detta and Glue were almost uniformly great. Sersophane was pretty good.

Later: not bad, just neither too rewarding listens to my ears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Mostly going to parrot the sentiments above.

It's weird...was the same with Kayo Dot for me as they entered the PHOBOS/COI phase. In terms of descriptions, there was every indication that the music was moving MORE in a direction that would appeal to me in terms of electronics, influences, etc.. Yet I struggled to connect with the material. Same here. The PR for 'Konkret Musik' reads like a dream come true to my ears, but I find myself wanting to move on before any song actually ends.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Music like this is better live.

I really liked this one. It got ripped apart by some fans but I enjoyed the new direction. Not as much as the earlier works, mind you. But it's solid IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great album after the so-so Et Ex.
    The Prog Corner

I forgot to get 'round to this one. Thanks for the reminder.

I find this to be GBS's most consistently good record.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

I like it a lot. I like the idea of uniting dance-electronic music with progressive rock ideas. It sounds fresh and relevant.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like it better than the last one but not as much as the ones previous to that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Am I overstating things, or is InsideOut almost single-handedly revitalizing the "music video?" I thought for quite a number of years the very idea of music videos had gone the way of the T***P, but lately (as in, VERY lately) InsideOut has been financing (I assume) some very cool and pretty clever videos for its artists. Case in point: Haken, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, and apparently some time in 2020, Gosta Berlings Saga. I just watched the first video posted above, and it's great! I kept waiting for someone to comment on the new Transatlantic and FK videos, because they're really cool, but in the threads for those bands no one seemed to mention them. I finally mentioned them in one of the threads, but no one replied to it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that. I now am subscribed to the InsideOut channel in YouTube and check regularly to see what's been added. The reason I thought music videos had gone out of vogue is because I figured there was nowhere to see them anymore, since I have a hard time remembering or even caring if MTV and VH1 still exist, I'm so far out of their target audience if they still have one.

I really enjoyed their first two albums and also Sersophane,though the Glue didn't really Work for me

Really not a fan of their last two, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-26-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I exited on Sersophane. Not a fan of what followed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS