Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Union 30 Live

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I read on Yesfans that this box has been postponed yet again for September 3rd but when checking Amazon and the official product sites, the July 30 date still stands (at least for CD/DVD, not vinyl).
    The latest update I saw on the flight cases was on 23 July and said orders would be arriving with people "within the next couple of weeks".

Did everyone here miss the bizarre thing where they made the digital version of the vinyl release available to download for free? Great way to get people to buy an expensive thing is to give it away instead... And then they clearly realised they'd f***ed up, because they took it down again.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

anyone following the new 'QPR Box' being released ??

a nice little discussion over on social media today

Gonzo/Brian Lane strike again
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Gonzo/Brian Lane strike again

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry

I'd love to know where the audio was sourced , if it was remastered etc etc

if one's going to spend $190 I want some sense of newness about it
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I'd love to know where the audio was sourced , if it was remastered etc etc
    This is the first I'm hearing about a new QPR set but if it was properly mixed and mastered for good sound I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for it.

I first bought the QPR DVD's from some Japanese bootleg label about 20 years ago. With all the official-looking dates and trademarks and Japanese lettering I thought I was buying something legitimate. Disappointment does not begin to describe my reaction when I popped them into my player!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing about a new QPR set but if it was properly mixed and mastered for good sound I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for it.

I first bought the QPR DVD's from some Japanese bootleg label about 20 years ago
    . With all the official-looking dates and trademarks and Japanese lettering I thought I was buying something legitimate. Disappointment does not begin to describe my reaction when I popped them into my player!
    I'll have to check mine but my memory tells me it was from S. America..

This from wikipedia on QPR... So it looks like my QPR DVDs are a sort-of semi-official grey area release. Of course with one of the world's biggest shysters behind it!

The performance was available for many years as a bootleg before former Yes manager Brian Lane co-ordinated a 1993 2-volume VHS release without any input from, or consultation with, the band members. In 2001 the video had a 2-disc DVD release.

Yes QPR was always 'grey' yet I bought my two DVDs in a record shop (what used to be Virgin Megastore, it had been renamed by then). The reproduction of the source material is very good, but obviously there are serious sound problems with the first volume. The second volume was mostly what was broadcast by the BBC at the time. I don't know whether there's a better sound source for the first half...I'd like to think so.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Even without multitracks it should be possible to somewhat improve the sound of QPR immensely using the same demixing technology that Giles Martin used for The Beatles’ Hollywood Bowl release to isolate each element and then create a new stereo mix. However, nothing like that will ever happen and we’re certainly never going to get any more properly sourced, mixed and mastered official live recordings from the archives if Gonzo etc. is flooding the market with these overpackaged bootleg sourced monstrosities. A few years ago the Progeny box felt like the start of something cool for the Yes archives. Now, unfortunately, it feels more like the end of the line as we may never get anything so nice sounding and tastefully executed again.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

It's from Rob Ayling and Brian Lane. I can guarantee that that sort of attention to detail will be missing.

Henry

(This from an e-mail I received this morning from Takeaway Records)... it certainly looks nice, but I'm suspicious of the actual quality.

cd6.jpg

This sumptuous box set comprises:

DVD 1 – Video: Full DVD of QPR ( 10th May 1975 ) concert.
    DVD 2 – Audio: Quad up mix of the QPR concert + Original Quad version of 'King Biscuit Flower Hour" from Dec 11 1974, Boston Gardens.
    CD 1 – Double live CD of 'King Biscuit Flower Hour' Broadcast from Dec 11 1974, Boston Gardens (the first 'Relayer' tour).
    CD 2 - Double Live CD of New Haven Broadcast 10th December 1975.

Paper parts: Reproduction;
    QPR ticket,
    QPR Program,
    8x10s Press Photo.
    Postcards
    Numbered Certificate,
    Poster

It is set for release 30th September 2021
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's from Rob Ayling and Brian Lane. I can guarantee that that sort of attention to detail will be missing.

Henry
    WORD!

was waiting for someone other than me to say it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 07-30-2021 at 08:26 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Received my Union 30th Box last Friday. Highly impressed and still wondering where to start listening and viewing, I guess the obvious one would be Pensacola, FLA where the first show was played.

Loved all the backstage pass and other memorabilia recreations, nice touch. The mini programs are cool also but having the original since I went to my Yesshows 1991, it seems like a postcard from the past.

Not sure how many of these boxes were made but, I'm pretty sure those of us who have it are in a very elite group and true to the word: Yesfans at heart.

Not so excited about the uncertain release of the QPR box but for me, it would have been an auto buy if a Masterworks Box would be planned :-)
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

^^^ If you can, please keep us posted with your impressions as you work through the set. I would be interested in hearing highs/lows of the set. Any performances that are particularly noteworthy, etc.

I have heard Pensacola many times because I have the first Union "Deluxe" set from 10 years ago. It is a ripping good show. The group all seem so high on adrenalin (maybe on more than just that...) that they rock out at max tempos for the whole night. All the performances are really strong.

^^^ If you can, please keep us posted with your impressions as you work through the set. I would be interested in hearing highs/lows of the set. Any performances that are particularly noteworthy, etc.
    You can download all the shows from https://yessongs.nl/ and hear them for yourself. As far as I can tell, that's all Ayling et al. have done, downloaded the same shows.

Henry

I was actually at the Pensacola show, and it was indeed a fantastic concert. Everyone was still feeling each other our, and the playing was superb. It was a very long show, with several songs immediately dropped from the set. I saw them months later that summer in Atlanta, and you could sense who was and wasn't getting along by then.

By far the highlight of both shows was Awaken

You can download all the shows from https://yessongs.nl/ and hear them for yourself. As far as I can tell, that's all Ayling et al. have done, downloaded the same shows.

Henry
    What does your "As far as I can tell" statement come from? Did they send you a box to listen to? Or maybe you have some private info from inside sources? I agree the "downloaded straight from yessongs.nl" hypothesis is very possibly true, but I would like to hear about the sound quality from someone who has heard the box.

Beyond that though I think it would be interesting to start some conversations about the performances in the box. Someone who has bought it would be natural fit to start with their thoughts.

What does your "As far as I can tell" statement come from? Did they send you a box to listen to? Or maybe you have some private info from inside sources? I agree the "downloaded straight from yessongs.nl" hypothesis is very possibly true, but I would like to hear about the sound quality from someone who has heard the box.
    I have not heard the box. I am going on others' reports. The album has received some discussion on Yesfans.com.

Henry

Our copy of the box just arrived. Currently listening to CD4 of "Bonus Tracks." The first song is Long Distance Runaround (also including Whitefish) from Munich 1991-05-30. The second is Starship Trooper from East Rutherford 1991-04-14. Both are listed as soundchecks but have clear audience sounds. Weird. Sound quality is very good at least.

Now listening to "Tony Kaye Solo #2" from Munich. It is actually "Changes" by the full band. I can sense that scholarship and attention to detail are not hallmarks of this release.

OMG! Listening to "Steve Howe Rehearsing" now. It is clearly Trevor Rabin. How am I going to believe anything on this release? I won't bore you guys with more notes, but this is very disappointing. It's been fun listening to it, but it would be even better if I knew what I was listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    I won't bore you guys with more notes, but this is very disappointing.
    Do go on! I never tire of cataloguing how shit Rob Ayling and Brian Lane can be. Why Rick Wakeman continues to work with these people, I don't know.

Henry

Do go on! I never tire of cataloguing how shit Rob Ayling and Brian Lane can be. Why Rick Wakeman continues to work with these people, I don't know.

Henry
    Well Henry, Rick never met a dollar sign, a euro, or a pound sterling that he didn’t like.

The eons are closing
    Well - Rick is still paying off bar tabs from the 70s - so yeah, the money's needed

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit