Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Union 30 Live

That's a lack of attention to detail that is inexcusable in any official release, but especially in something of this scope.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's a lack of attention to detail that is inexcusable in any official release, but especially in something of this scope.
    Especially when you could probably hire a fan to go through these kinds of details.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Do go on! I never tire of cataloguing how shit Rob Ayling and Brian Lane can be. Why Rick Wakeman continues to work with these people, I don't know.

Henry
    I must say that when I caught the Walkman/Anderson version of YES, I walked by a special box seating area in the venue and saw a fellow seated there. I did not know who he was but I got the most intense negative vibe from him. I mean, really bad.

Yup, it was Mr. Lane. He seems to hav a terrible reputation with almost everyone.

Indeed. And we've seen this with multiple prior projects from these people. My only question is why did anyone pay money for a release that we knew would be so poorly done?

Oh, hold on, that's not my only question. My other question remains why does Wakeman (and Rabin and Anderson) work with these people?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Oh, hold on, that's not my only question. My other question remains why does Wakeman (and Rabin and Anderson) work with these people?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^ Well, yes, but then he's stupid. Pay a small amount of money to get the job done well and you'd sell more.

Henry

^ Well, yes, but then he's stupid. Pay a small amount of money to get the job done well and you'd sell more.

Henry
    Regretfully, most people are unable to think that way.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Especially when you could probably hire a fan to go through these kinds of details.
    But then you'd have to give them some swag, like a shirt & a poster.

The only remaining 2 Yes members (Howe and White) from Union could care less about this release. This is really about making money for Brian Lane along with all ARW who mostly benefit from it, the latter are on the outside looking in. This also signals the demise of ARW who have nothing to look forward to - but, instead Yes will release a new album (The Quest) and tour next year so go figure who really cares of the quality of this box.

So far I've listened and viewed both Pensacola and Worcester; I would not grade each with even a C, awful on all accounts. But to be fair on the video, you must consider that at the time [1991] there was no HD, digital technology or even cell phones, only the bulky hand held VHS tape recorder and that audio was ok for say, weddings but NOT for concerts - I'm surprised the battery lasted 3 hours!

I'm not holding my breath for the Nassau Coliseum or MSG NYC DVDs but am confident the Stuttgart and Wembley FM audio broadcasts on CD are much better. To be continued..

^^^ I just gave Pensacola a fresh listen. I own the old DVD but I just got the audio from yessongs.nl. I would give Pensacola a B-. The drums are clearly audible as such and the individual instruments stand out clearly. There is obvious distortion in the ensemble passages. But gawd they were tearing it up that night.

Looks like individual releases for each of the 10 shows in the box are due to go on sale (at "reasonable" prices too) according to pre-sales on Amazon UK.
    Has anybody reviewed the individual shows who could recommend a shopping list for the non-completist/curious?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Looks like individual releases for each of the 10 shows in the box are due to go on sale (at "reasonable" prices too) according to pre-sales on Amazon UK.
    Has anybody reviewed the individual shows who could recommend a shopping list for the non-completist/curious?
    My recommendation is that you can download the same audio (or indeed better) online from places like Forgotten Yesterdays (as approved by the band) and that no-one should be encouraging Rob Ayling and Brian Lane to do more shit releases.

The eons are closing
    Word
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

"No-one should be encouraging... Brian Lane" - good advice which should have been heeded more over the last 50 years
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

If anyone does happen to be interested in the physical box, this is the cheapest I've ever seen it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134454602363?epid=1904860670

$72.32.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If anyone does happen to be interested in the physical box, this is the cheapest I've ever seen it:

$72.32.
    This is the kind of stuff that makes my day! 81% Off! Thanks for the Eagle eyes!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that makes my day! 81% Off! Thanks for the Eagle eyes!
    Glad to be of service!

I looked into the seller because the deal seemed too good to be true. It is ImportCD's eBay page! When you click to see the other items from this seller you see an additional 15% off for 3 or more. Scroll through at your Credit Card's peril....I see some JT box sets there too on sale.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Tomorrow (April 9, 2023) is the 32nd anniversary of the first show of the Union tour (Pensacola). The Union tour is now closer in time to the Eisenhower administration than to today.

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    The Union tour is now closer in time to the Eisenhower administration than to today.
    That's kind of depressing.

$72.32.
    About $65 too high.

I see 13 have sold in the last 5 hours…it now states “almost gone.”

^^^ Well I pulled the trigger this afternoon so I'm probably one of those 13. There were two other boxes I wanted so I got the extra 15% off. The Union 30 set came out to $66 including tax.

I can now proudly say I have done my part to stop the slide of CD sales in 2023.

As much as I didn’t need this, I was still disappointed they would not ship to the U.K. so I saved my $72 one way or another!

^^ Now sold out.